The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

Well.... My official thought is, if you like it then you found an awesome value!

Originally I thought you might be curious what I would think of a $3 wine. Again, refer to original response. But in terms of general quality of super low cost wines, one has to think of the fixed costs of bringing a bottle the the shelf and then realize what is left to pay for what you're actually drinking. After the profit for the store, profit for the winery, shipping cost, labeling cost, bottling costs, cost of the bottle, the cork etc. How much of that $3 is actually left to pay for the grapes/wine itself. Not much. I'll post a picture below that is from Europe, but illustrates the point. For folks that are looking for a super market wine, there tends to be a large difference in quality between a $5 wine and $15-20 because most of that added cost can go to what's actually in the bottle. The same is true in reverse for ultra high end wines, but that's a different discussion.

In terms of sulfites (not sulfates), the general consensus is that isn't what is causing headaches most of the time unless you truly have an allergy. In which case you would also get a headache from other foods that have sulfites. You guys know I'm sure, often the reason is simple dehydration and people not treating wine like any other alcohol and making sure they're getting enough water with it. The other causes are actually tannins or histamines. Red wines have tannins because the tannins are in the grape skin and they are fermented in contact with the skins (thus the red colour). The only way to avoid that is if you're sensative to tannins, avoid red wines. Aged wines can histamines believe it or not. One response the body has to histamines if you are sensitive is headache. One way to check that is if you know of a wine that gives you a headache every time you drink it, just take a Claratin before having it and see if it still happens.

Now, why did this wine not give a headache? Who knows. Maybe Sir Easter Hair was drinking more water than usual. Or, being a very inexpensive wine, the red colour was obtained through dye and not by being in contact with the grape skins so there was little tannin. Yes this happens and more with cheap wines. Or this wine was aged for about 45min before being bottled, so histamines weren't an issue.

Thanks for all that info! Good stuff. I was kinda curious if you had ever tried it, and could talk as to the quality of it...... apparently not.

Thanks for all that info! Good stuff. I was kinda curious if you had ever tried it, and could talk as to the quality of it...... apparently not.
Heh sorry. No that could have been a simpler answer ;)

I must say, for a first foray into bourbon, Jim Beam Extra has been treating me quite well (hard to go wrong when Mika Kunis is your spokesperson too...but anyway...).

As a guy who is a lightweight when it comes to adult beverages, who might have enjoyed a drink out about once a month, it’s a pretty big development for me to have gone through almost half the bottle in the few weeks I’ve had it. Mind you, a serving for me might be less than a sixth of a cup on the rocks. That first sip after the pour over ice is always great though...very different than a Luke warm shot or mixing with cold water.

Larceny is definitely on my “next” list of it’s smoother than this.

Glad you’re enjoying the bourbon Chris. It’s great stuff. It definitely takes some time (at least in my experience) for the palate to “warm up” to neat whisk(e)ys or liquors in general. Very rewarding once you find the taste and can distinguish what you like. Definitely not about the quantity consumed. I’ve found I much prefer my drinks room temperature, neat or with a little splash of water.

BTW, I think Larceny is a great choice. Wheated bourbon, so it should be a bit sweeter and smoother. Great price point as well. 👍🏻🥃

Doesn’t matter where...that relaxed guy in the background needs to go shave. Teach him our ways KJ.

Back