The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

It’s good even if I do say so myself. It is sweet without being cloying, has some acid and some body. I usually like to let it sit in the bottle for a couple of months to let the flavors balance and maybe develop a bit of carbonation, but I’m impatient.

I've not made cider but I have made ginger beer, beer, wine and mead. Never could get the mead to turn out good but the others have mostly all turned out great. It's a lot of fun

I've not made cider but I have made ginger beer, beer, wine and mead. Never could get the mead to turn out good but the others have mostly all turned out great. It's a lot of fun

It is fun. This one is technically a mead (a cyser) because I use honey as the main adjunct. I also use brown sugar and raisins so mead purists might balk at my calling it a mead, but I’m flexible.

It is fun. This one is technically a mead (a cyser) because I use honey as the main adjunct. I also use brown sugar and raisins so mead purists might balk at my calling it a mead, but I’m flexible.
Mead is my favorite..... and Mead recipes have become flexible in recent years. Experimenting is always good.

On recommendation...really liked it...never thought I would ever describe a wine as rich. Price point is nice at $12 a bottle.

Haven’t been posting here as I should. We had a nice red blend with wine and cheese night last weekend. While shopping for the cheeses I looked around the local wine section of the supermarket. They had a merlot from a winery and vineyard I know puts out some decent stuff. Figured I’d try it to see if it was a bargain for $10. Nope. I think most people don’t realize, many better wine producers make their good stuff that you can only find at their winery or restaurants. And then make a mass produced wine for distribution to grocery stores and such which is a world apart from all their other stuff. Such was the case here. Well, worth a shot. But I did want to say if you run across a wine in a grocery store that strikes your fancy, take a look at the website for the winery, or a wine shop and see if they have something you don’t see in the store. It might just blow you away.

Back