The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

The wife went to the store today in search of the components to make a Perfect Manhattan. She was unable to find Sweet and Dry Vermouth but she got a whole mess of other stuff (bourbon, bitters, simple syrup, cherries, etc.).

While at the store...evidently the Maker's Mark rep was there and was hand dipping glasses. Honestly, I don't think the wax will last all that long...but it's still kind of cool. The wife picked up a couple of glasses and a bottle of Maker's Mark. She also found some Woodford Reserve Bourbon Cherries. So while I won't be drinking a Manhattan tonight...I certainly can drink an Old fashion! Pick of drink coming soon. But here is a pic of the glasses and other stuff...

1639793487248.png

Found my Vermouth, both sweet and dry. So tonight was was a good night to make a Perfect Manhattan. I needed to use up what was left of one of my Willett Small Batch rye whiskeys so that went in instead of another rye or bourbon. So...2 ounces rye, half an ounce of sweet vermouth, half an ounce of dry vermouth. About three dashes of bitters. Instead of Angostura I used some Fee Brothers Cardamom Bitters that I discovered today...and let me tell you it is perfect for this rye cocktail. Stirred all of this in a mixer with ice and strained into a chilled double old fashion glass. Twisted an orange peel and tossed in one of my Woodford Reserve Bourbon Cherries. For fun...I ladled in a teaspoon of the syrup the cherries come in. And thus...a Perfect Manhattan.

1639880782624.png

Found my Vermouth, both sweet and dry. So tonight was was a good night to make a Perfect Manhattan. I needed to use up what was left of one of my Willett Small Batch rye whiskeys so that went in instead of another rye or bourbon. So...2 ounces rye, half an ounce of sweet vermouth, half an ounce of dry vermouth. About three dashes of bitters. Instead of Angostura I used some Fee Brothers Cardamom Bitters that I discovered today...and let me tell you it is perfect for this rye cocktail. Stirred all of this in a mixer with ice and strained into a chilled double old fashion glass. Twisted an orange peel and tossed in one of my Woodford Reserve Bourbon Cherries. For fun...I ladled in a teaspoon of the syrup the cherries come in. And thus...a Perfect Manhattan.

View attachment 70574
Fee Brothers makes some awesome bitters. I get their Black Walnut, and also have cranberry that is good.

Back