The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

KC store pick - might be a 2 pour kind of evening

2c52761e67f029a3881e823aafa811fc.jpg

@NurseDave pretty cool they'll have CYBP and Warehouse C but have to imagine those two bottles will be rushed by the attendees. If you could get pours of both I wouldn't blink at the price considering you can follow it up with [hopefully] multiple Stagg Jr pours. I unfortunately attended one at a local bourbon bar in Chicago that had the full BTAC lineup for that year and all I got was one 1/2 oz pour of WLW which, while nice, was not worth the entry price considering the next couple drams were KCSBR (again, not bad by any means but value just didn't feel there.)

@NurseDave pretty cool they'll have CYBP and Warehouse C but have to imagine those two bottles will be rushed by the attendees. If you could get pours of both I wouldn't blink at the price considering you can follow it up with [hopefully] multiple Stagg Jr pours. I unfortunately attended one at a local bourbon bar in Chicago that had the full BTAC lineup for that year and all I got was one 1/2 oz pour of WLW which, while nice, was not worth the entry price considering the next couple drams were KCSBR (again, not bad by any means but value just didn't feel there.)
Oh, it's in AZ. I'm not going, just posting for the folks there if they were interested. Good to hear your experience though. I figured since it's a dinner it would be like the wine pairing dinners where they are pouring a drink with each course.

Oh, it's in AZ. I'm not going, just posting for the folks there if they were interested. Good to hear your experience though. I figured since it's a dinner it would be like the wine pairing dinners where they are pouring a drink with each course.
LOL somehow missed the location! If it's more of a pairing situation that is also a no brainer.

Well, gentlemen, I had my mezcal tasting last night. I meant to bring my notes but forgot them at home. We tasted 4 mezcals from the company Rezpiral, along with the founder of the company who was calling in from Oaxaca and a U.S. rep. I really like this company. They are all about finding individual producers in small villages who use traditional methods in small batches and then giving part of the profits back to those communities.

Now the mezcal. It was not to my taste. I don't know if I just didn't like the styles, or they were more complex and I need to have more time with some of the easier drinking stuff. I think more they were just not to my taste. I think they specifically are looking for variety since you can go out and get the basic espadin mass-produced stuff anywhere. A couple of them I did not like at all. Very much pickle on the nose and very sharp and hot in flavor with black or white pepper being in the forefront. The other two were a little sweeter with a touch of citrus buried in there. I could drink them, but not often, and wouldn't say I'd enjoy them. Especially at their small production prices of >$100 a bottle.

I'm glad I had tried another one in the restaurant or that might have been the end of my journey. I know there are sweet and citrus out there. I'll get a couple of the more basic espadin mezcals, but still, stick with those that are artisanal because I like the philosophy behind it.

Of interest, I asked the founder how someone new to this should start exploring. He had already said there are too many variables to try to learn mezcal is a systematic method. There goes my grid idea. I asked if one should pick one type of agave and try many made from that to see differences or try different types from the same area. I was surprised he suggested trying mezcales from the same area. That each area can have some similar characteristics across different agaves types. A lot of research ahead for sure. If I were smart, I'd do it through pours at bars and not full bottles. But no one on this forum has given me the custom title of the smart one.

Well, gentlemen, I had my mezcal tasting last night. I meant to bring my notes but forgot them at home. We tasted 4 mezcals from the company Rezpiral, along with the founder of the company who was calling in from Oaxaca and a U.S. rep. I really like this company. They are all about finding individual producers in small villages who use traditional methods in small batches and then giving part of the profits back to those communities.

Now the mezcal. It was not to my taste. I don't know if I just didn't like the styles, or they were more complex and I need to have more time with some of the easier drinking stuff. I think more they were just not to my taste. I think they specifically are looking for variety since you can go out and get the basic espadin mass-produced stuff anywhere. A couple of them I did not like at all. Very much pickle on the nose and very sharp and hot in flavor with black or white pepper being in the forefront. The other two were a little sweeter with a touch of citrus buried in there. I could drink them, but not often, and wouldn't say I'd enjoy them. Especially at their small production prices of >$100 a bottle.

I'm glad I had tried another one in the restaurant or that might have been the end of my journey. I know there are sweet and citrus out there. I'll get a couple of the more basic espadin mezcals, but still, stick with those that are artisanal because I like the philosophy behind it.

Of interest, I asked the founder how someone new to this should start exploring. He had already said there are too many variables to try to learn mezcal is a systematic method. There goes my grid idea. I asked if one should pick one type of agave and try many made from that to see differences or try different types from the same area. I was surprised he suggested trying mezcales from the same area. That each area can have some similar characteristics across different agaves types. A lot of research ahead for sure. If I were smart, I'd do it through pours at bars and not full bottles. But no one on this forum has given me the custom title of the smart one.
Is that a hint or desire for a change Mr. Dave? Muahahahahaha

Back