The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

I had the Highland Park 12 again last night. I'm really digging it. I almost got some of their more potent stuff instead of this one. Guess I'm going to have to go exploring through their line.

Ok, you lushes experienced scotch drinkers. What about those bottles that are behind the locked glass doors at the store. 20yrs old. 30yrs old. Does anyone have some of those? What do you think? For wines that price I schedule a tasting before buying. That would be a whisky bar to try this type of thing, but that's obviously a no-go now. I'm pretty curious as to what value I'd put on the age, but not ready to blind buy at that level.

Ok, you lushes experienced scotch drinkers. What about those bottles that are behind the locked glass doors at the store. 20yrs old. 30yrs old. Does anyone have some of those? What do you think? For wines that price I schedule a tasting before buying. That would be a whisky bar to try this type of thing, but that's obviously a no-go now. I'm pretty curious as to what value I'd put on the age, but not ready to blind buy at that level.
Nor should you blind buy at that price point! Is it worth it...YES! Right after you cobble out MANY, MANY miles tasting what is readily available. I love wine and pretty much all fine spirits but I had the great opportunity to learn from two fine Gentlemen. My Grandfather who was a Somme and my Father who drank to that experience level...:) . Both men unpretentious in their love of all things. My Grandfather knew enough to know what he liked at each price point and not confuse good taste with price tag. My Father the same. So I was introduced to everything quite early not from a drinking perspective but from a sensory and research point. If you don't have that knowledge I think you lose out. Will you enjoy a Macallan 30 at $3500 a bottle...sure you will. But it will blow off your head if its following a Macallan 12. If you don't develop your palate you'll never really figure out what you like much less appreciate what you taste. Whisky isn't a race it is about savoring a glass and hopefully (though difficult at the moment) with those you love. SO work your way up the taste ladder until like wine, you can taste the difference between not only varietals but vintages. I know that all sounds romantic doesn't it...I have many wonderful memories of enjoying a whisky with my Dad growing up who sadly due to health reasons hasn't had a glass in over two years. We would talk s^&t at the dinner table and enjoy a fine Scotch or Cognac recounting travels near and far. WE will again...having said that if you can mooch a fine dram...go for it @NurseDave. My bar is always open...

Hey, if you can invoke Sean, it's all good
That is impressive! But seriously its palate that tells me that I like Lagavulin 8 over certain older Scotch but if I had never tasted other stuff before....I'd be pooched for frame of reference. Sean does rock in that movie!

Again..... This torture will never end.... I promised myself nothing new until this is gone, and I am eyeing Classic Laddie, and the McCallen 1824 Rare cask, so this must vanish soon, LOL

(old Pick - there is about a 1/2 a bottle left)

View attachment 40962
I had 1 1/2 drams of that tonight too. Goes fine with a breaded chicken sandwich.

Again..... This torture will never end.... I promised myself nothing new until this is gone, and I am eyeing Classic Laddie, and the McCallen 1824 Rare cask, so this must vanish soon, LOL

(old Pick - there is about a 1/2 a bottle left)

View attachment 40962
So bring it over for game night tomorrow and I'll help you finish it off!

also, I'm out of whiskey and I finished the brandy last night. All that's left is sailor Jerry's spiced rum. And wine.

Back