The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

Update on the Tuaca trials. I’ve come around to enjoying it more. Out of the non-mixed options, it’s best served (IMO) neat or with a single ice cube. Makes for a nice nightcap or post-dinner sipper. Probably not a rebuy...but at least I’ll enjoy it while I have it.

Zaya is going to get opened tonight after dinner. Almost didn’t get it because there’s supposedly been a reformulation and it has become sickeningly sweet...a number of very mediocre reviews...good thing I don’t drink rum enough to know the difference :LOL:

7FCEF173-43E7-4130-98C3-F2FB2A1CD474.jpeg
Well I picked up a bottle of this today while stocking the cellar with goodies. I remember someone on the Cadre had a bottle but I can’t quite place who.. @Cvargo was it you? Anyway just wondering....

OK, so Zaya...as I’m drinking it.

Tried it neat first. Very first sip was highly alcohol flavored with a sharp sweetness - I can see where some reviews said it was a bit flavorless DayQuil in taste. Subsequent neat sips were more favorable. It’s scent is very much sugar cane and vanilla. Finishing my trial of the evening now with an ice cube and splash of water.

This plays out the flavors a bit more, but weakens the cohesive taste. I think this will be best drank neat or with an ice cube and without the extra water. Overall much lighter than a scotch and bourbon on the tongue. Less bitter, but with the same capability of smoothness. Zaya probably has less flavor depth than Glenmorangie or Eagle Rare.

Needs more experimentation...a different night!

E42D3BE0-860B-4115-ABD4-D6190EF7D7C6.jpeg
Light, bright, well balanced with some sweetness, oak and apple. I drink bourbon and assorted other whiskeys but I have never tasted one like this. It’s not a huge mouth feel like you get with a good bourbon but it’s pretty good and different enough that a bottle could live quite nicely in my bar.

OK, so Zaya...as I’m drinking it.

Tried it neat first. Very first sip was highly alcohol flavored with a sharp sweetness - I can see where some reviews said it was a bit flavorless DayQuil in taste. Subsequent neat sips were more favorable. It’s scent is very much sugar cane and vanilla. Finishing my trial of the evening now with an ice cube and splash of water.

This plays out the flavors a bit more, but weakens the cohesive taste. I think this will be best drank neat or with an ice cube and without the extra water. Overall much lighter than a scotch and bourbon on the tongue. Less bitter, but with the same capability of smoothness. Zaya probably has less flavor depth than Glenmorangie or Eagle Rare.

Needs more experimentation...a different night!
Chris I am a rum drinker...ahhhh, I drink everything apparently if you look at this thread. My favourite rum to sip neat is Appleton Estate Rare Blend 12 year old. It is not the most expensive or the fanciest but a glass of that will do you right Sir.

Chris I am a rum drinker...ahhhh, I drink everything apparently if you look at this thread. My favourite rum to sip neat is Appleton Estate Rare Blend 12 year old. It is not the most expensive or the fanciest but a glass of that will do you right Sir.
Made my bed, so I’ve got to sleep in it now lol. I need to find a new supplier. As I try researching choices I’m realizing how limited Target and Raley’s a really are.

Made my bed, so I’ve got to sleep in it now lol. I need to find a new supplier. As I try researching choices I’m realizing how limited Target and Raley’s a really are.
Appleton Estate Reserve Blend is an 8 year old rum and also very nice...it wouldn’t be offended if you dropped a cube in it....the Rare Blend would throat punch you! :p. Enjoy Sir...it really is all good!

I generally find rum too sweet, but Appleton's is nice. (y)
I fell in love with it after visiting the Appleton Estate on our last vacation to Jamaica. We did the visit, tour and tastings. Love it! Came home and got them all. It really is a great rum.

Sorry that I lead you astray Gear. I remember now that I only drank that when I was only drinking my rum in Coke. It adds a great vanilla note when you do that.

Back