The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you anxiously waiting to be delivered ???

I made a $14 low bid on this Thomas Turner set with Silver Bolsters. I’ll make them replacement horn scales and transfer the bolsters. Likely made in the 1840’s-50’s
View attachment 92888View attachment 92889View attachment 92890View attachment 92891
I made myself a promise to stay away for a while but seeing your post brought me back for a moment to say i tried to bid on 3 or 4 things today and got outbid in the last 4 or 5 seconds on EVERY item !!! one was my dream brush , one of the rubberset 400 , I got beat by 1 DOLLAR !!!!!!!!! another was a wade and butcher that I got beat by the same and I also got beat out on a seiko pepsi watch by alot and another straight razor by 2 dollars !! so I deleted All the watches and razors and brushes from my watch list and have said f @#$ it i'm done !! I'm through with trying and wishing and hoping ... I always lose , why try when i always get my hopes crushed in the last seconds ... I'm glad you and every one else keep finding all you want and i am happy for you all.. I wish you all continued success and happiness in all you do.....

I made myself a promise to stay away for a while but seeing your post brought me back for a moment to say i tried to bid on 3 or 4 things today and got outbid in the last 4 or 5 seconds on EVERY item !!! one was my dream brush , one of the rubberset 400 , I got beat by 1 DOLLAR !!!!!!!!! another was a wade and butcher that I got beat by the same and I also got beat out on a seiko pepsi watch by alot and another straight razor by 2 dollars !! so I deleted All the watches and razors and brushes from my watch list and have said f @#$ it i'm done !! I'm through with trying and wishing and hoping ... I always lose , why try when i always get my hopes crushed in the last seconds ... I'm glad you and every one else keep finding all you want and i am happy for you all.. I wish you all continued success and happiness in all you do.....
Sorry my friend, it’s a struggle sometimes, but the only thing I can say is keep at it. I win some cool auctions because I place a lot of bids expecting to get beat out. If you want to try your hand at spoiling others, get a bid napper account, link it to your eBay account and start sniping with it at the last minute. Put in your very best bid and the program will bid for you at the last second. It saves on the frenzied bidding at the last minute. If you loose you loose and if you win, you know you won with your best offer. For me if I really want something I’ll bid with the price I would pay for it and if someone else wants it… well it wasn’t meant to be. This last razor was on my local shop goodwill site, no one saw it, so I got very lucky. This is not usually the case. Seriously if you can, keep trying and try to separate the emotions from it. If you get it great, if not THERE will be another one.

Sorry my friend, it’s a struggle sometimes, but the only thing I can say is keep at it. I win some cool auctions because I place a lot of bids expecting to get beat out. If you want to try your hand at spoiling others, get a bid napper account, link it to your eBay account and start sniping with it at the last minute. Put in your very best bid and the program will bid for you at the last second. It saves on the frenzied bidding at the last minute. If you loose you loose and if you win, you know you won with your best offer. For me if I really want something I’ll bid with the price I would pay for it and if someone else wants it… well it wasn’t meant to be. This last razor was on my local shop goodwill site, no one saw it, so I got very lucky. This is not usually the case. Seriously if you can, keep trying and try to separate the emotions from it. If you get it great, if not THERE will be another one.
I do the same, I just set my max bid and let it ride. If I win, I win. I have scored some really good stuff at great prices, but lost a lot too.

its not me being emotional about that stuff. Im just done in general. I dont really care enough to do the snipping stuff. If I win then its meant to be if I lose then it was not meant to be.
I dont know whats happened with me but something has changed with me as I just dont really care about stuff that used to make me happy no longer does. I mean I just go through the motions each day .... Sorry this is not the place for me to be saying all this so I shall stop.. Well have a great rest of your birthday my friend....

I got beat by 1 DOLLAR !!!!!!!!!
You also cannot look at it like this. If you got beat, it's just because someone was willing to pay more than you were. The one dollar is just ebay's increment above your highest bid. Their highest bid could have been $20 more. I think most of us have lost far more auctions than we have won. But we don't talk about the losses, like we celebrate the wins, so it looks like we're always coming away with something. Ebay is also tough sometimes. Look at smaller auctions sites or other sites like Goodwill, or other local sites. I have a local auction house I've found good deals at.

You also cannot look at it like this. If you got beat, it's just because someone was willing to pay more than you were. The one dollar is just ebay's increment above your highest bid. Their highest bid could have been $20 more. I think most of us have lost far more auctions than we have won. But we don't talk about the losses, like we celebrate the wins, so it looks like we're always coming away with something. Ebay is also tough sometimes. Look at smaller auctions sites or other sites like Goodwill, or other local sites. I have a local auction house I've found good deals at.
This! When eBay gets too hot, Goodwill is a great place to find deals. They don’t have fancy algorithms like eBay does, so if you spend a little time searching and checking it daily a lot of times it will turn up a gem. This set came from shopgoodwill and was listed kind of funky. I hadn’t been on that site in a month or so due to the way the site looks and operates on my phone.
Talk about losses, I low bid on at least one or two items every few days. Most of them I loose or choose not to pursue any further because it isn’t the best condition or doesn’t make me get the feels. As I said before, casting a wide net is the best way to find deals, but super rare items that are listed correctly should almost always go for higher prices and if you want it, you’re likely going to pay for it. Unless you get really lucky and that doesn’t happen all that often. 🍀

This! When eBay gets too hot, Goodwill is a great place to find deals. They don’t have fancy algorithms like eBay does, so if you spend a little time searching and checking it daily a lot of times it will turn up a gem. This set came from shopgoodwill and was listed kind of funky. I hadn’t been on that site in a month or so due to the way the site looks and operates on my phone.
Talk about losses, I low bid on at least one or two items every few days. Most of them I loose or choose not to pursue any further because it isn’t the best condition or doesn’t make me get the feels. As I said before, casting a wide net is the best way to find deals, but super rare items that are listed correctly should almost always go for higher prices and if you want it, you’re likely going to pay for it. Unless you get really lucky and that doesn’t happen all that often. 🍀
Okay. To pop in real quick. First of all Thanks guys. But its not really the auctions that got me really I don't think. Honestly I don't know what's up. I just don't really feel like doing anything. I mean I get up and play with the kids because I love them and they would be sad if I didn't but I don't really feel like doing anything lately. I don't even care about getting out of bed. Like I said I haven't shaved in weeks I mean I haven't had a chance with all that's been going on first with the stupid house and then being stuck in this stupid hotel and then being Really stuck in this stupid hotel because of being sick with the hated Covid.. I just don't have the energy to really care about Anything anymore!! I feel stuck in a rut and Can't get out of it I guess...
Edit...
Also I can't sleep anymore. I seem to have a case of insomnia I still haven't been to sleep in the last day or 2....And I have had a migraine for the last week !!

Okay. To pop in real quick. First of all Thanks guys. But its not really the auctions that got me really I don't think. Honestly I don't know what's up. I just don't really feel like doing anything. I mean I get up and play with the kids because I love them and they would be sad if I didn't but I don't really feel like doing anything lately. I don't even care about getting out of bed. Like I said I haven't shaved in weeks I mean I haven't had a chance with all that's been going on first with the stupid house and then being stuck in this stupid hotel and then being Really stuck in this stupid hotel because of being sick with the hated Covid.. I just don't have the energy to really care about Anything anymore!! I feel stuck in a rut and Can't get out of it I guess...
Edit...
Also I can't sleep anymore. I seem to have a case of insomnia I still haven't been to sleep in the last day or 2....And I have had a migraine for the last week !!

Sorry to hear this, hoping things get better for you soon. Take care

Back