The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What’s new to you?

These darn antique stores! Look at that beautifully patinaed, ivory and bone, how can I pass it up? Ended up with a naked lady and a couple of nice restorable wade and butchers too. Not my best score, but good stuff!
View attachment 107009

View attachment 107010

View attachment 107011

View attachment 107012

anomaly-very-nice.gif

Nice score.... Have fun with those...
One day I am gonna get a Wade and butcher but I kind of like the looks of the wider ones best and those Always seem to go for a lot more than I want to pay....

View attachment 107019

Nice score.... Have fun with those...
One day I am gonna get a Wade and butcher but I kind of like the looks of the wider ones best and those Always seem to go for a lot more than I want to pay....
Yep they go for crazy money, but imho they don’t shave any better when they’re bigger. The 5-6/8 sweet spot is right where it’s at!

Yep they go for crazy money, but imho they don’t shave any better when they’re bigger. The 5-6/8 sweet spot is right where it’s at!
..Yeah they are crazy some of the prices..... 6/8 or maybe 7/8 was what I was thinking about. I mean I don't want to go overly large... I mean if and when I do ever get one this will be the biggest razor I would have had as of yet...

The beautiful carved scales look like a celebration of pregnancy to me if you look at her belly.
T
This is my thought too. There are “Birth of Venus” variations on this scale design which are very cool and several variations on the wood/river nymph(which this razor depicts). This on has more features and a much more realistic figure than I’m used to seeing. Often they are vaguely figural of a nude woman with no face and the details are fuzzy. Other depictions go a more lewd direction and others are more like the Venus De Milo and famous Greek works. Often the scales sell for a minimum of $100 if in good condition no matter the condition or maker of the blade.

Last edited:
Back