The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What’s new to you?

A vintage butterscotch Rooney boar brush, which appears to be NOS. I have not used a real boar brush before, and I'm looking forward to trying it.
hw9Jij3.jpg
Uei73eU.jpg
Wow, nice looking vintage piece! Congrats, what a score. [emoji106]

Got my Simpson Milk Churn and Lakewood Smokeberry, which smells incredible!
7caaec1dcdbbf3c56712c4386ff10c9c.jpg
8afc47f7149e50423998f23e9c1284a7.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I’ve always wanted a Milk Churn - it looks fantastic! How does it compare in size to other Simpsons? I think you have a Duke 3, which I have as well - and chance for a side by side comparison?

Had a pretty good weekend of acquisitions.
IMG_6348.jpg
My order from CBL came in, including CBL Master Barber Dragon's Blood(a spicy Patchouli to my nose), three Barber Pro razor wipers(for testing, they feel great), and not pictured tub of Danger Baby Butt paste(Great for little kids, THANKS FOR THAT @CBLSoap.com). Very much looking forward to trying out the razor wipers. I'm hoping they are just what I've been looking for!

The C&E Mysore Sandalwood Shaving Soap arrived, it smells just like the vintage C&E shaving cream I own, now hopefully it lathers just as well.

Lastly, a local Facebook Marketplace find. A Wester Brothers 4/8 Gun Metal (NOS), Fremont Cutlery 5/8 "The Razor of Quality," Never honed, but has some tarnish/patina, and a Robeson Cutlery 5/8 "Diamond Edge" shoulderless(one tiny spot of pitting on the tail, otherwise amazing). Super minor clean up on these three and then straight to the hones with them.

IMG_6350.jpg

I’ve always wanted a Milk Churn - it looks fantastic! How does it compare in size to other Simpsons? I think you have a Duke 3, which I have as well - and chance for a side by side comparison?
@BadgerFiend, ...here is another side-by-side comparison of the Milk Churn and it's Simpson relatives in my "collection".
The Wee Scot, 56, and Milk Churn are all in Simpson's Best Badger and the Tulip 2 is Super (silvertip) Badger.
The Milk Churn does NOT disappoint!

20200725_113900 (2).jpg

@BadgerFiend, ...here is another side-by-side comparison of the Milk Churn and it's Simpson relatives in my "collection".
The Wee Scot, 56, and Milk Churn are all in Simpson's Best Badger and the Tulip 2 is Super (silvertip) Badger.
The Milk Churn does NOT disappoint!

View attachment 38798
Thank you for the photo! Another push towards pulling the trigger 😃

@Luecke3262 that Robeson Cutlery 5/8 "Diamond Edge" is a beauty. Not sure if you are into the history of some of these brands or not, but below are some excerpts from a document I ran across at work. While never owned by any of the Case Cutlery companies, Robeson was ran by Emerson Case (nephew or great nephew of WR Case) for 25 years.

By the beginning of World War II, Robeson was in serious trouble. The company was offered for sale and was purchased by Mr. Saul Frankel. He hired Mr. Emerson Case of the famous Case Cutlery family in 1940, and pretty much gave him a free hand, as General Manager, in revitalizing the company.

The time during and after WWII saw Robeson once again among the top tier of cutlery manufacturers, thanks mostly to the tireless efforts of Emerson Case. They had several contracts during WWII to produce the M-3 Commando or Trench knives for the United States Army. They produced machetes, and Mark II "Ka-Bar" type knives for the United States Navy and The Marine Corps, as well as the Mark I knives, and so called "Shark" knives for the Navy. They produced both a three and four blade version of their 214 pattern scout/utility knives with bone handles for the Army and also a two blade easy open bone handled jack knife. They made wood handled TL-29 electrician's knives for the Army Signal Corps.

After WWII, Emerson Case was made company president, and continued to be very innovative. He developed, in 1950, a heat treating process for stainless steel blades that is still used world wide today and virtually unsurpassed in its effectiveness. He called the process, "Frozen Heat", and it was used on both pocket and kitchen cutlery.

About 1955, Emerson Case also developed a line of knives with tungsten carbide applied to one side of the blade edge. This was a complicated process, and the knives' virtues were not readily understood by many people. The problem was the knife was designed to be sharpened only on the side that did not have the tungsten carbide layer. Honing the knife in that manner left a fine microscopic serrated edge of tungsten as the cutting edge of the knife. The knives were called, "Flame Edge", and were made in jack knife, stockman, and hunting knife patterns, as well as kitchen knives.

Cutler Federal Corporation purchased The Robeson Cutlery Company in 1964, with the stipulation that Mr. Case remain to assist with the transition for one year. He then retired in 1965. The manufacturing facilities in Perry, New York were closed. Cutler Federal Corporation continued to market knives with the Robeson name on them, but they were manufactured by Camillus Cutlery Company in Camillus, New York. Cutler Federal eventually sold the Robeson name to Ontario Knife Company. They continued to market knives with the Robeson name on them until 1977.

Picked this up because I have a civic duty to try our good vendor products... Or that's how I'm reasoning it to myself. Lol

Hey, just because I asked if people stopped during Secret Santa days, doesn't mean I do. I'm a weak willed man. [emoji3525]

Btw, it smells awesome! [emoji846]
b90db1797d2b4dcd8c28f4896b93fa07.jpg

@Luecke3262 that Robeson Cutlery 5/8 "Diamond Edge" is a beauty. Not sure if you are into the history of some of these brands or not, but below are some excerpts from a document I ran across at work. While never owned by any of the Case Cutlery companies, Robeson was ran by Emerson Case (nephew or great nephew of WR Case) for 25 years.

By the beginning of World War II, Robeson was in serious trouble. The company was offered for sale and was purchased by Mr. Saul Frankel. He hired Mr. Emerson Case of the famous Case Cutlery family in 1940, and pretty much gave him a free hand, as General Manager, in revitalizing the company.

The time during and after WWII saw Robeson once again among the top tier of cutlery manufacturers, thanks mostly to the tireless efforts of Emerson Case. They had several contracts during WWII to produce the M-3 Commando or Trench knives for the United States Army. They produced machetes, and Mark II "Ka-Bar" type knives for the United States Navy and The Marine Corps, as well as the Mark I knives, and so called "Shark" knives for the Navy. They produced both a three and four blade version of their 214 pattern scout/utility knives with bone handles for the Army and also a two blade easy open bone handled jack knife. They made wood handled TL-29 electrician's knives for the Army Signal Corps.

After WWII, Emerson Case was made company president, and continued to be very innovative. He developed, in 1950, a heat treating process for stainless steel blades that is still used world wide today and virtually unsurpassed in its effectiveness. He called the process, "Frozen Heat", and it was used on both pocket and kitchen cutlery.

About 1955, Emerson Case also developed a line of knives with tungsten carbide applied to one side of the blade edge. This was a complicated process, and the knives' virtues were not readily understood by many people. The problem was the knife was designed to be sharpened only on the side that did not have the tungsten carbide layer. Honing the knife in that manner left a fine microscopic serrated edge of tungsten as the cutting edge of the knife. The knives were called, "Flame Edge", and were made in jack knife, stockman, and hunting knife patterns, as well as kitchen knives.

Cutler Federal Corporation purchased The Robeson Cutlery Company in 1964, with the stipulation that Mr. Case remain to assist with the transition for one year. He then retired in 1965. The manufacturing facilities in Perry, New York were closed. Cutler Federal Corporation continued to market knives with the Robeson name on them, but they were manufactured by Camillus Cutlery Company in Camillus, New York. Cutler Federal eventually sold the Robeson name to Ontario Knife Company. They continued to market knives with the Robeson name on them until 1977.
Excellent history here! I’ve owned a few Robeson Shuredge “the razor that fits your face.” I never took to time to look up too much more info on them. This one is very fine and in surprisingly good shape. Who knew it was Case against Case?!?!?

Definitely let us know about the Washington soap. I like most anything patriotic!

Happy shaves!
I sure will. There's also this note on the website:

"Five percent of your purchase will go to the Hidden Battles Foundation for mental health treatment of veterans and law enforcement heroes."

So that's pretty cool. I'll use it this afternoon and give a full report.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back