The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: SuperMax Platinum Plus (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Ariana & Evans - St. Barts
Brush: TSC Member Brush the "Luca Brasi" in Finest Badger by Eric Sorrentino ( @Smattayu )
Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Ariana & Evans - St. Barts

First Day in a new soap theme week and I really don't have much in the way to participate this week. Maybe I do and I just have to take another look. But to go along with Cologne Inspired soaps, the first one I thought of that I have is A&E's St. Barts! Inspired by Creed Virgin Island Water. To me the scent teeters on a Pina Colada...minus the overt booziness and the super sweetness of the pineapple. Just a really nice refreshing pina colada. It is definitely a beach smell without the suntan lotion. Three pass shave and it was probably a little rushed. I earned myself a couple small nicks, but nothing to be concerned about. DFS for the win!

The Danger Zone:

Did a lot more work this weekend than I anticipated...but it feels good to get some house things out of the way. In addition to the typical lawn work (cutting grass is in full swing and that will be AT LEAST a weekly chore now), got the house pressure washed...well most of it. I still have the back patio to do...but I'll get that this weekend. Washed an area rug...madeNfour0batches of bone broth...four loads of laundry...cleaned the grill (boy that was bad)...and managed to cut my mother's grass and help the father-in-law repair one of his gates! Busy weekend for Don. And along with all of that...I managed to watch LSU beat (barely) Maryland to punch their ticket to the Sweet Sixteen! It was a good weekend indeed!

Hope the Cadre had a fantastic weekend and charged and ready to go to attack the week ahead!

#TheShavingCadre #TSC #Ariana&Evans #A&E #TheShavingShopClup #StBarts #Eric Sorrentino #smattayu #TSCMemberBrush #LucaBrasi #FinestBadgerShavingBrush #MerkurProgress #HumphreysWitchHazel

That sounds like a productive weekend for sure!

Way to step up this weekend Don! I hear you on the yard work. I made the mistake of doing my first mow of the season a few weeks ago, then we had a few weeks of on/off rain/sun to where I couldn’t tend it, and that stuff sprouted something fierce! Took me hours to knock it all down yesterday. Gotta keep on top of it now!

Blade: SuperMax Platinum Plus (3rd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Maggard Razors Platinum Shave Soap - Northern Moss
Brush: Asylum Brush Works - Cheswick - Silvertip Fiber Synthetic
The Ultimate Aftershave: Pitralon F

I was rummaging through the den to try to find another soap that fits into this weeks soap theme. I quickly discovered that I have exactly ONE soap that is inspired or based off a cologne. I might have one other that loosely fits the bill, but that is it. With all the talk of Aventus, and there is no shortage of Aventus inspired shaving products, I would have figured I would have at least one of those soaps..,but nope. So the weekly theme goes out the window for me. But I did pull out a soap I haven't used in a VERY long time. Maggard Razors Platinum Shave Soap - Northern Moss.

We all know that Maggard Razors has their soap made by Through the Fire Fine Craft. And I think Maria makes a very fine soap. She was probably making a better soap than most others long before a lot of the names we see today came about. But specifically speaking to the Maggard lines. Maggard has their Artisan line of soaps and their Platinum. Which a cursory look at their inventory right now, and it appears they only have one flavor in the Platinum line. Anyway...the Platinum line has different ingredients in the soap to the Artisan line. While I have tried both of the Maggard type of soaps...I have to say that the Platinum soaps are significantly better! If I had to give a rating right now after only using it once in a couple of years...I would rate it a Tier 1 soap. It's hard to say exactly without more use...but definitely Tier 1...and it's not really close. I think a safe bet would be Tier 1 Box 2. So basically what I am saying is...don't lump all the Maggard soaps or the TTFFC soaps all into one category. Because there are some differences that might surprise you!

I guess I should talk about the shave now! 🤪 This soap has a very rich thick lather that didn't break down with a very substantial amount of water. Subsequent passes where I wet my face didn't really thin it out at all. There is very good slickness and protection and I was absolutely surprised at how good the residual slickness was. If there is a weak spot, i would say that it is the post shave feel. But even that wasn't all that bad either.

I used the Asylum Cheswick brush I picked up on BST quite a while ago from Chad @Cvargo ! Initially this brush had A LOT of spring in the bristles. And even that might be an understatement. But today,, while there is still significant spring, the brush has seemed to soften a bit. It was actually perfect for this soap as the soap has hardened a little over time. Three passes with the Progress and I am still loving this. I know all of you guys love your aggressive razors, but I am getting really good shaves with these mild settings! I decided to use (not for the first time) an aftershave that was sent in a PIF from Chris @GearNoir. So the aftershave is pretty good, functionally speaking. But it smells very industrial. I thought that the scent would dissipate pretty quickly...but over an hour later and it is still going strong. Not sure what I will spray on before I go to work. But as an aftershave...it works pretty good.

The Danger Zone:

Work kind of sucked yesterday and it was all my bosses fault! ;) All joking aside...the other investigators in my section are talking of mutiny...okay, maybe not mutiny...but they are talking. He just makes the job way more difficult and stressful than it needs to be...and it's kind of sucking right now. Love my job...but the boss is putting years on my life! All that being said...I am very grateful for a job that I really like! Did my first workout since I pulled a muscle in my back. I hit the weights...and to be honest it really felt good! Got yoga today so I am hoping that my back gets stretched out a bit!

Go get it Cadre! It's going to be a wonderful day!

#TheShavingCadre #TSC #MaggardRazors #PlatinumShaveSoap #NorthernMoss #ThroughTheFireFineCraft #TTFFC #BullGoose #BullGooseShaving #AsylumBrushWorks #Cheswick #Pitralon #PitralonF #MerkurProgress #HumphreysWitchHazel

Sorry about the stress at work and hope it dissipates. Interesting about the soap. Wonder if they'll make more scents, just 1, that's crazy !! We NEED variety..............okay, I've calmed myself down. Have a good day Don

I can relate with the boss situation. I deal with the same thing on occasion at my day job. All this talk of working out is also making me feel like I really need to get my butt in gear. The hard part is there's no reasonably priced gym near me.....

Glad you’re getting back to a normal routine Don. Sorry the boss is being bossy!

As for the Pitralon F, “industrial” is a good word for it. I’ll admit, I could not bring myself to try it even once. Glad you were willing to give it a go!

I can relate with the boss situation. I deal with the same thing on occasion at my day job. All this talk of working out is also making me feel like I really need to get my butt in gear. The hard part is there's no reasonably priced gym near me.....
Completely understand on the gym front. I did Planet Fitness for a while but quickly realized that they were so busy I was just wasting time standing around waiting for weights! But they were super cheap. I am currently at the YMCA. Mostly because it is literally across the street from my office building. I have to walk right by it to get to where I park. I figured if that wouldn't motivate me...nothing would! The Y is more reasonable than most other gyms and there isn't a contract. Plus the one I go to has some pretty specialized equipment, is super clean, I rarely have to wait for anything, and they offer yoga classes. It's pretty much a good deal lfor me.

Blade: SuperMax Platinum Plus (4th Shave)
Soap/Cream: Noble Otter - Loanstar
Brush: Asylum Brush Works - Cheswick - Silvertip Fiber Synthetic
The Ultimate Aftershave: Noble Otter - Loanstar

Loanstar from Noble Otter was calling my name today. Not sure why, but saw it and it said use me! Hmm...not really sure why...as the events of the morning unfold! Really nothing special. Jumped into the shower, washed thoroughly, and prepped for shave. Noble Otter is one of the best lathering soaps out there. Creates just an awesome rich, thick, and luxurious lather! Middle way through the first pass I felt that there was something wrong with the blade. Knowing something was up, I opted for only a two pass shave today. My South to North pass was worst than the first and I called it quits. Just a really rough shave. I inspected the razor then the blade...and I couldn't find anything wrong with either. Oh well, I'll pitch the blade and start anew tomorrow! All in all it was an okay shave. Something I can live with. Used the aftershave of the same name. The wife woke from her slumber and asked me what aftershave I was wearing. I told her, to which she replied, "not a fan." Seriously? I have had this scent for the better part of a year and now you say that you are not a fan?

The Danger Zone:
Talked to some coworkers about the boss. I have been told that his demeanor will change...it's just anyone's guess as to when. But we are all like minded when it comes to how we perceive him. Just keep my head down and do the work. And there is plenty of it to do.

The good news...or at least I think it is good...my wife is bringing home a German Shepard puppy tonight! In about a week she is flying the puppy to Pennsylvania to present to her sister. The Sis-in-Law has about 12 ducks that she raises. She also has puts in a garden that might rival just about anyone's (except KJ's @Spider from last year...that thing was more like a farm!). And she recently lost a dog (a Beagle) to cancer. So this is going to be a combination working dog/pet for her! We can't keep the puppy at our house for the week, because our black dog Allie ONLY likes her pack and can be aggressive toward other dogs. So the puppy will be staying at the wife's parents' house. But puppies make everyone happier!

UGH! It's Wednesday! But we are getting there Cadre! Something about fish and the day...what is that? Carpe Diem? Oh yeah...seize the day! But whatever you do today...do it with a smile!

#TheShavingCadre #TSC #NobleOtter #Loanstar #BullGoose #BullGooseShaving #AsylumBrushWorks #Cheswick #MerkurProgress #HumphreysWitchHazel

Back