The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Thanks guys for all the replies and reading my thread!

Holey Moley! That’s a mess-o-crawdaddies! And you only eat the back half? Is there meat in their little claws? I’m not too sure about the innards. There would need to be many beers involved.
There is meat in the claws but only the biggest are worth the trouble at all. A lot of people suck out the innards, i tried it a couple times, not for me. The tails are fantastic though.

My mother and brother are experts at getting meat out of the claws...but like Kyle said...it's not really worth it unless you get a big one. And even then...it's just a little taste.

We have a saying here in Louisiana, Suck the head and pinch the tail!" Meaning, after you twist the body of the crawfish to separate the tail from the cephalothorax (the rest of the body), you take the open end of the crawfish and suck all the juices out of it. Really all you get is the spicy water that's inside the crawfish head. You don't really suck out much of anything else. Pinch the tail comes into play when you pinch the bottom of the tail to release the meat that is inside.

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: SuperMax Platinum Plus (8th Shave)
Soap/Cream: CBLPremium Soap ( @CBLSoap.com ) - The Shaving Cadre
Brush: TSC Member Brush the "Luca Brasi" in Finest Badger by Eric Sorrentino ( @Smattayu )
Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Fine Accoutrements - Fresh Vetiver

Well tonight it will officially be spring as the Equinox comes with the setting sun! I know most of you guys can't wait for the mere mention of greenery and flowers and no snow. Well to celebrate new beginnings and new life...I shaved with The Shaving Cadre scent by CBL Soaps. Neroli, Lime, and Vetiver are perfect springtime scents (though if you scrutinize too closely limes usually don't fall from the tree until end of summer and sometimes into fall...Of course the crazy GMO varieties can grow year round). Anyway...the soap smells like spring! The blade may have finally started to turn to the dull side! As my shave, while still pretty darn good, just wasn't as good as it has been. I might try to eek out another shave or two just to make sure. I final splash or two of Fine Fresh Vetiver and I am DFS for the day!

The Danger Zone:

My back isn't 100% but it does feel better. Work was rough yesterday...but I made it through. I will be sitting in a car most of the day today, so we will see how that feels. If I had to guess, I will likely be sore by the end of the day. But no worries...

Hope the Cadre has an absolutely stupendous day!

#TheShavingCadre #TSC #CBLPremiumSoap #cbl_premium_shave_soap #The ShavingCadreSoap #Eric Sorrentino #smattayu #TSCMemberBrush #LucaBrasi #FinestBadgerShavingBrush #FineAccoutrements #Fresh Vetiver #MerkurProgress

Thanks guys for all the replies and reading my thread!

My mother and brother are experts at getting meat out of the claws...but like Kyle said...it's not really worth it unless you get a big one. And even then...it's just a little taste.

We have a saying here in Louisiana, Suck the head and pinch the tail!" Meaning, after you twist the body of the crawfish to separate the tail from the cephalothorax (the rest of the body), you take the open end of the crawfish and suck all the juices out of it. Really all you get is the spicy water that's inside the crawfish head. You don't really suck out much of anything else. Pinch the tail comes into play when you pinch the bottom of the tail to release the meat that is inside.
ok a trip to Brother in Laws house needs to be planned!!!

Blade: SuperMax Platinum Plus (8th Shave)
Soap/Cream: CBLPremium Soap ( @CBLSoap.com ) - The Shaving Cadre
Brush: TSC Member Brush the "Luca Brasi" in Finest Badger by Eric Sorrentino ( @Smattayu )
The Ultimate Aftershave: Fine Accoutrements - Fresh Vetiver

View attachment 760

Well tonight it will officially be spring as the Equinox comes with the setting sun! I know most of you guys can't wait for the mere mention of greenery and flowers and no snow. Well to celebrate new beginnings and new life...I shaved with The Shaving Cadre scent by CBL Soaps. Neroli, Lime, and Vetiver are perfect springtime scents (though if you scrutinize too closely limes usually don't fall from the tree until end of summer and sometimes into fall...Of course the crazy GMO varieties can grow year round). Anyway...the soap smells like spring! The blade may have finally started to turn to the dull side! As my shave, while still pretty darn good, just wasn't as good as it has been. I might try to eek out another shave or two just to make sure. I final splash or two of Fine Fresh Vetiver and I am DFS for the day!

The Danger Zone:

My back isn't 100% but it does feel better. Work was rough yesterday...but I made it through. I will be sitting in a car most of the day today, so we will see how that feels. If I had to guess, I will likely be sore by the end of the day. But no worries...

Hope the Cadre has an absolutely stupendous day!

#TheShavingCadre #TSC #CBLPremiumSoap #cbl_premium_shave_soap #The ShavingCadreSoap #Eric Sorrentino #smattayu #TSCMemberBrush #LucaBrasi #FinestBadgerShavingBrush #FineAccoutrements #Fresh Vetiver #MerkurProgress
Good Stuff Don and I feel your pain the PT killed me today, I think they are the spawns of the devil

Blade: SuperMax Platinum Plus (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: Victory Shaving Company - Pilot
The Ultimate Aftershave: Aqua Velva - Ice Sport

To continue with the soap theme of the week I grabbed a soap that I am sorry to say is my first time shaving with it. I bout something off a BST a couple of years ago and the seller included this in the package. I guess I just pushed it aside and forgot about it. Smelling soaps last night (I do this as a stress reliever some days...try it...it works) and rediscovered this soap. I will actually place the scent in the Vide Poche wheelhouse...just not as sublime. But it has that sweet floral that reminds me of spring. However, I have heard others describe it as Grape Soda. Silly them...grape soda is a summertime scent...not spring! I typically don't reach for a veggie based soap, but made an exception this morning. I have to say...while I won't call this an elite soap...it is actually very nice. better than average and I would likely place it at the top of Tier 2 and with more use...I think it could break into the Tier 1. This is a super slick soap and the residual slickness is much better than I expected. It's the other categories that fall a bit short. And while the residual slickness is excellent...the post shave feel falls short just a little (for me residual slickness and post shave feel usually go hand in hand...so this is a bit of a paradox).

Excellent three pass shave nevertheless! And I am calling this DFS+. I decided to take a couple of glugs from the Aqua Velva Ice Sport that @Majorrich scent me from his PIF. I have to say that this aftershave was much more moisturizing and effective of an aftershave than I expected. Excellent aftershave for the day! I guess I can sum the shave up as "better than expected!"

On Edit: The Victory Website describes the scent as Sandalwood, Cedar, Bergamot and a hint of Rose. Honestly...I just get sweet floral...but in a good way!

The Danger Zone:

The back is getting there and will probably be well enough just in time to mow the grass this weekend...such is life! My LSU Basketball Tigers won their first NCAA Tournament game in a decade yesterday so all is well! Looks like they will play Maryland on Saturday!

It's Friday and I am ready for the weekend...even if it just going to be a bunch of Honey-Dos and chores...but I am ready for it nonetheless! I hope the members of the Cadre have a great Friday and a wonderful weekend!

#TheShavingCadre #TSC #VictoryShavingCompany #VictoryShavingCo #PilotShavingSoap #VictoryShavingCompanyPilot #Eric Sorrentino #smattayu #TSCMemberBrush #LucaBrasi #FinestBadgerShavingBrush #AquaVelva #AquaVelvaIceSport #MerkurProgress

Last edited:
Good shave Don. Slowly but surely with the back is the way to do it!

You’ve been using this light box a ton recently, photos looking great man!

Good shave Don. Slowly but surely with the back is the way to do it!

You’ve been using this light box a ton recently, photos looking great man!
Thanks! It's really just some poster board I picked up from the Dollar Tree. Sometimes I add effects, but most of the time I don't!

Thanks! It's really just some poster board I picked up from the Dollar Tree. Sometimes I add effects, but most of the time I don't!
That's what I have too but yours look SO much better. Do you have sides up as well? I just have it folded up against a wall so I can change colors.....

That's what I have too but yours look SO much better. Do you have sides up as well? I just have it folded up against a wall so I can change colors.....

Pretty much what you do. I make sure there is enough light. I will say that my phone is a Google Pixel 2 and takes incredible pics compared to other phones. So it might be a little of that. I will say that Mrs. danger has the Pixel 3 that is supposed to be better in the picture taking department. But she always tells me that I take much better pics than she does. So maybe I just have an eye for it or something. @HandleBarberDave is the master at SOTD photos though. I remember when he really started getting into it and it just really took off for him. I think he actually uses real cameras and everything. One of these days I might actually invest in a camera and actually take a class or something. It seems like something I would like to do.

I think I posted this photo elsewhere here...but this was a photo I took the other day just off the cuff...

Did a little adjusting and got this...

And a little bit more adjusting and ended up with this...

Blade: SuperMax Platinum Plus (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Ariana & Evans - St. Barts
The Ultimate Aftershave: Ariana & Evans - St. Barts

First Day in a new soap theme week and I really don't have much in the way to participate this week. Maybe I do and I just have to take another look. But to go along with Cologne Inspired soaps, the first one I thought of that I have is A&E's St. Barts! Inspired by Creed Virgin Island Water. To me the scent teeters on a Pina Colada...minus the overt booziness and the super sweetness of the pineapple. Just a really nice refreshing pina colada. It is definitely a beach smell without the suntan lotion. Three pass shave and it was probably a little rushed. I earned myself a couple small nicks, but nothing to be concerned about. DFS for the win!

The Danger Zone:

Did a lot more work this weekend than I anticipated...but it feels good to get some house things out of the way. In addition to the typical lawn work (cutting grass is in full swing and that will be AT LEAST a weekly chore now), got the house pressure washed...well most of it. I still have the back patio to do...but I'll get that this weekend. Washed an area rug...made four batches of bone broth...four loads of laundry...cleaned the grill (boy that was bad)...and managed to cut my mother's grass and help the father-in-law repair one of his gates! Busy weekend for Don. And along with all of that...I managed to watch LSU beat (barely) Maryland to punch their ticket to the Sweet Sixteen! It was a good weekend indeed!

Hope the Cadre had a fantastic weekend and charged and ready to go to attack the week ahead!

#TheShavingCadre #TSC #Ariana&Evans #A&E #TheShavingShopClup #StBarts #Eric Sorrentino #smattayu #TSCMemberBrush #LucaBrasi #FinestBadgerShavingBrush #MerkurProgress #HumphreysWitchHazel

Back