The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: SuperMax Platinum Plus (4th Shave)
Soap/Cream: Mystic Water - Coconut Sandalwood
Brush: Stirling Synthetic (@Joe Hackett )
Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Fine Accoutrements Platinum

View attachment 340

Starting a new theme week for March and I am pleased that we are shaving with @Mystic Water Soaps. I'm not sure if MW was my first love in shaving soaps...but I sure have stuck by her. She is a great soap that really offers all of what I need in a soap. I know some have found her difficult to lather. But I have not been one of those. MW and me...we hit it off from the start. And of course...I have to start the week off with a Coconut Sandalwood! A soap that I had a small part in bring to life. But just a very small part. Michelle at MW was the full on creator!

What can I say about the shave this morning...I love the way this soap lathers and shaves. Super slick and a post shave feel to die for. Residual slickness is really where this soap is at. I feel like I can keep shaving with no lather after my first pass! Three passes of the normal directions and all is well in the world! A healthy glug or two...or maybe even three of Fine Accoutrements Platinum Aftershave! Yup...I am ready to attack the day!

The Danger Zone:

This weekend is my mother's birthday so it looks like I will be hosting a crawfish boil! Not a ton of people...just family and a couple other relatives from out of town. But it will be the first crawfish boil of the season for me. Need to pull out the big pot, paddle, and burner! Don't worry...I'll take pics for you all. I just wish I could send you all a plate through the interwebs!

I hope the Cadre has a fantastic day!

#MysticWater #CoconutSandalwood #StrirlingSoapCompany #MerkurProgress #FineAccoutrements #PlatinumAfterShave #TheShavingCadre #TSC

Nice shave! Can you post a scratch and sniff pic of the crawfish boil? Man, now i'm hungry for crawfish etouffee.

I've heard of these people but had no idea they actually existed.
Crawfish aren't the biggest thing in the Philly area lol. It still amazes me when I meet someone that doesn't know what a cheesesteak is, even though it's not really something you can get nationally.

Crawfish aren't the biggest thing in the Philly area lol. It still amazes me when I meet someone that doesn't know what a cheesesteak is, even though it's not really something you can get nationally.

We have a restaurant where the owner moved here from Philly because his daughter sent to college here. He opened a shop and just sells cheese steaks. Oh man!!! Serves em with the whiz and everything!

We have a restaurant where the owner moved here from Philly because his daughter sent to college here. He opened a shop and just sells cheese steaks. Oh man!!! Serves em with the whiz and everything!
That's awesome! Places like these are the only places you can get a real cheesesteak outside of the area. I lived in Florida for a few years and I ordered the "Philly Steak Sandwich" at multiple places. I was served multiple things, all of them different. None of them cheesesteaks 😂😂😂. There was one place that I found that was similar to your place, where the owners (husband and wife) relocated from Philly. They had their rolls shipped in from Philly on a daily basis. This was the only place that did it right. Also, if you ever come to Philly stay away from Pat's and Gino's. You'll see them referenced in movies and on TV. They're nothing more than tourist traps and you can find a better sandwich at a corner pizza joint.

Believe it or not...you can get crawfish from Ikea. Evidently Scandinavians eat them also.

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: SuperMax Platinum Plus (5th Shave)
Soap/Cream: Mystic Water - Windjammer
Brush: Stirling 24mm Fan in Finest Badger (@Joe Hackett)
Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Shulton Old Spice

Another shave with @Mystic Water and this time I opted for my Windjammer Shave Stick. The Mystic Water soaps might be a little on the softer side...but I believe they were meant for the stick! No super hard small tubes pressing hard against your skin scraping across your sandpaper like face we call a beard. Yup...A couple gentle glides and you have enough soap to build an incredible amount of lather! And is there really anything I need to say about the scent? Windjammer is MW's Old Spice scent. And it smells pretty spot on. Of all the different types of aftershaves and with all the scents that accompany them...in my mind at least...Old Spice still rings true as the manliest of man scents! Whenever I wear Old Spice...or a reasonable facsimile thereof...I always get someone who asks about what I am wearing, and they are always amazed when I tell them Old Spice!

A quick word about my blade. As many of you know...I usually pitch my blade after three or four shaves. I am currently on my 5th shave with the Supermax Platinum Plus...and I feel like it is nowhere near dying. I'll keep trucking...but man...this is one good blade! Three passes with no cleanup and i feel like I am 90% BBS today. This might be as close to a Grail Shave as I have come in...well...I don't know when! And with the ease of effort too!

The Danger Zone:

Not a lot to say on the home front. It hasn't rained in almost a week and that is a good thing. My yard is finally dried out. But this comes just in time for potential thunderstorms today. Nothing to be concerned about. I just hope it's only a little rain so I can mow my yard on Saturday! Overall though...it seems that life is really good right now!

I hope the Cadre has a wonderful day today! We are on the home stretch for the weekend!

#MysticWater #Windjammer #StrirlingSoapCompany #24mmFan #FinestBadger #MerkurProgress #ShultonOldSpice #TheShavingCadre #TSC

You know I'm a Mystic Water fan for sure. You have me thinking about trying a shaving stick for sure.

I'm a little late to the previous food conversation, but we have a regional delecacy here called a spiedie that's been around since the 70's. It's a type of marinaded lamb or chicken or beef or pork, whichever you feel like or prefer. It's pretty much just a central NY food. They tried to market it down south and nobody wanted them. We love them here and people who move away always want us to send the spiedie sauce. We mail it to missionary friends in Alaska and they make moose spiedies with it.

Back