The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Well Don another very nice shave for sure. And to the point on the Keto, oils, and fats.... All I have to say is here here! Also I will add quick fix diets do not work! You have to make a lifestyle change to see long term success. So many times around the office I have heard. "i'm doing keto for a month to lose weight for the summer." I think to myself yup... and once you are two months post keto the weight will be back plus some.

Once I cure all my issues and get to a healthy weight...I still might do keto for the protective qualities it imparts to the brain and body against a host of diseases. I love the energy I have from the Ketones I am producing. I love the way I feel...I just love being me right now.
This surprises me to hear you say this. Keto is a lifestyle. Once you get that, and you are doing it, why would you ever stop?

So many times around the office I have heard. "i'm doing keto for a month to lose weight for the summer." I think to myself yup... and once you are two months post keto the weight will be back plus some.
And the problem using Keto for that is, yes you will drop a lot of weight (relatively) in a short period of time, but most of that is all water weight. And your right, as soon as you go back on carbs, you will gain all that water weight back as well as more fat. Keto is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix.

This surprises me to hear you say this. Keto is a lifestyle. Once you get that, and you are doing it, why would you ever stop?

Don't get me wrong, I will always do some sort of low carb way of eating, and will likely stay in ketosis most of the time. And you are right, keto is a lifestyle. I am very interested in an Ancestral way of eating. Once I'm healed, I don't see why I can't partake of certain fruits or vegetables when they come into season. This would mean that I can enjoy some apples in the fall or some other fruits toward the end of summer. But only for those seasons. Or who knows...maybe I want to go completely carnivore. These are just a couple things that I might experiment with. At this point I am happy where I am at...but in the future I may want to fine tune this machine of mine and see what really drives my metabolism. It was kind of a blanket statement...but there may come a time that I may want to see if my body can switch quickly from burning fat to sugar to fat again. Just some thoughts of mine based on things I have read and heard. But one thing is for sure. Grains and sugar are out.

All caught up Don. Glad to hear the good health news about your wife.

I have tried most of the versions of CRSW (except the glide) and didn't like any of them except for the Select version. It's the only citrus soap I own though for some reason...so I keep it around.

I did a test lather of the new "Glide" version and I'm cautiously optimistic about this one - the scent is outstading! Tomorrow I'll be able to provide impressions regarding the actual performance.

➣Great read, shave, and picture Don!

Glad to hear the wife is doing well!

Shaver Danger said:
If I didn't take control of my own health (because lets face it...no one else was...especially the medical industry) then no one else would.
1f446.png
THIS!
1f446.png
1f44d.png

Cvargo said:
You have to make a lifestyle change to see long term success.
1f446.png
THIS TOO!
1f446.png
1f44d.png

{Why is there no Up and Down arrow smiley's?➔➘➙➚➛➜➝➞➟➠
27a1.png
➢➣➤➥➦➧➨➩➪➫➬➭➮➯}

Razor: Ikon El Jefe
Blade: Feather Artist Club (3rd Shave)
Soap/cream: Mystic Water - Coconut Sandalwood
Brush: Stirling Finest Badger
Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
After the Aftershave: Fine - Platinum
The Aftershave to the Aftershave that is After that...I'm confused: Fine - Platinum EdT

Just a quick entry today. Third shave with Mr. Jefe. Only a two pass north-south-north shave today. I was fairly smooth or at least smoother than I usually am from just a day away from shaving. Lathered up the super slick Mystic Water Coconut Sandalwood for whom we have Mr. @XenoStr8shaver to thank. Anyway, I think we all know how this soap lathers and I think we know how I feel. I was able to complete the shave in record time and ended up with something better than a DFS. Splashed on some Fine Platinum...then I splashed on some more. I took a look at that strange fellow in the mirror and he was shaking his head no...okay a third liberal splashing of the face. Once this happened I heard the host of astrological constellations sing together in unison something unintelligible by us mere mortals. But my heart understood...the Shaving Gods were pleased! I'll be spraying on some Platinum EdT so expect to hear some more singing. Yup...today, I am going to be that guy!

The Danger Zone

The wife is healing up fine from the section of skin that was removed from her back. She is actually healing up faster than I expected. That's a good thing. She has two more weeks to have the stitches in. I thought three weeks was a long time...but evidently its some new technique that Dermatologists use with three layers
of stitching and...well I don't know what. Anyway...she is doing well.

I guess it's my turn. I go in to see the same doctor this afternoon. I would like to say that my skin is healthy as they come...but I just don't know. I have a lot of sun exposure through the years...and the more I think about it, the more I am worried. I guess we will see.

I am looking forward to the weekend. Even though this is a short week, between interviews and report writing..I am exhausted. I didn't get to finish all that I wanted, but there were a lot of factors involved. My subpoenas didn't come back to me as quick as they should and at one point I had to call someone and ask about it. You would think that if you receive something and it says subpoena at the top...you might want to take it seriously. Oh well!

Anyway...I hope you gents have a wonderful day and a better weekend!

Nice shave with MW today Don! That Coconut Sandalwood is a phenomenal scent...really nice indeed. I'm glad I was able to crack the code for MW lathers...

Great to hear that SWMBO's wound is healing well and she'll be back to full fitness soon!

Nice shave, Don! Good luck at the dermo appointment. I go every once in awhile. I don't have the same issues as SWMBO, but I do have a nice crop of cherry hemangiomas that pop up in new places on the reg. The ones on my head led me to stop head shaving, because once slice and those suckers bleed like crazy.

Razor: 1962 Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade: Nacet Stainless (New Blade)
Soap/cream: Nobel Otter - Lonestar
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac Two Band Silver Tip Badger
Aftershave: Thayers Peach Witch Hazel
After the Aftershave: Nobel Otter - Lonestar

Last week I was picking up some stuff online and I saw the Nobel Otter brand soaps and after shaves. I looked through some of the scents and found out what they are made of and I decided to pull the trigger. Well today I decided to go ahead and do a first shave with it. I videoed the shave and my comments about it for a video review. It's not ready to post because I want to add other stuff to it. Once I get four or five shaves with this soap, then I will likely compile, edit, and post the video review. In the meantime, I will give some of my thoughts throughout the week on this stuff.

My initial impressions on this stuff are that it is going to be a top tier soap. Is it the best yet...TBD. But it's going to be up there. This stuff is super slick, and provides a good amount of protection. I rinse my face between passes with the water I rinse my razor with between strokes. I could shave with just that water. Right now...this soap is hitting on all cylinders. I will have more to say throughout the week.

The scent is described by Nobel Otter as: "Lemon, Sage, Magnolia, Texas Cedar, Oakmoss, Leather, Hay
."

It's hard to describe...but you gents from the south know what it smells like when the flowers are in bloom...it's hot but not too hot. A little on the humid side, ,and you just cut the grass. Seriously...that's what it smells like. SOS is strong enough for you to know what it smells like throughout the shave...but not overpowering. It's a nice fresh sent and a little musty...I know...it's weird

So if you all know me...some of you do...you would know that I prize post shave feel above all other soap characteristics. It's just what I like. Don't get me wrong if something is seriously lacking...it get the ax! But back to the issue. This soap might have the best Post Shave Feel I have ever experienced.

These are just my initial impressions...so we will see how I feel by the end of the week. Oh, and what is in this really great stuff? Here are the ingredients: Stearic Acid, Beef Tallow, Coconut Milk, Aloe Vera, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, Avocado Oil, Lanolin, Tucuma Seed Butter, Kokum Butter, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance, Bentonite Clay, Tocopheral Acetate, Citric Acid, Watermelon Extract, Whitewillow Bark Extract, Tussah Silk.

A lot of really good stuff. I will post more as I shave with it...and I will post an official review next weekend.

BONUS!!!!!!!!!!! Before I lathered this fine stuff...I pulled out soap from the brand new tub enough for three samples. If anyone wants to try a sample and add to my review when I post it...please let me know! First three to ask here in this thread will get a soap and after shave sample of Nobel Otter Lonestar. Let me know guys!

The Danger Zone:

Friday I went to the Dermatologist to get looked over. She commented that I have some sun damage on my shoulders...but over all there was nothing that looked suspicious. Sun damage huh...Living in Hawaii for the better part of six years and being in the Marine Corps...I mean, what do you expect. I am being careful now and making sure I prevent sunburns with sunscreen and clothing...though the doc says that even clothing with UV protection doesn't really do much. Anyway...I had a mole or growth or something (I forgot what she called it) that sits just below my collar bone and is always irritated from clothing or seat belts or whatever. It wasn't harmful or anything but she wanted to take it off any way..yes ma'am...do so please! So off it goes.

It's super hot here. I won't argue with Dave when he says Arizona is hotter...I've been to Arizona in late spring...he is right...it is hotter. But it's been in the 90s everyday for as long as I can remember. The nights don't get lower than 80 and the humidity is usually above 80%. It is the classic definition of sweltering her in southern Louisiana. Man does it suck!

I hope you gents have a wonderful week ahead. I will keep you up to date on how the Nobel Otter performs!

The great sounds miserable. I'm just glad we are coming off at night.

If be interested in trying the soap if you're willing.

Back