The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Great read, shave, and picture Don!

Praying for your wife! Good thing they found it early!

We've been using olive oil for so long I really don't remember using corn oil. We really don't deep fry anything. I use County Crock for most things cooked in a skillet.

Nice read Don. I am glad the doc is being so proactive for your wife.

As to the cooking oil craze... I try to avoid those vegetable based oils such as canola etc. I also do not like Coconut oil I know a lot of people think it is SUPER healthy but I have read some things to lead me to believe otherwise.

We tend to cook in fat (meaning butter, or the fat from the meat), Olive Oil, or Avocado Oil (although not sold on this one yet either)
Thanks Chad! She made it through but she is going to have a gnarly scar on her back. But a scar is so much better than cancer!

The whole coconut oil thing is really weird. There is a lot of BAD info out there about it. Mostly stemming from the 80s and 90s when the industrial oil companies were bashing coconut and palm oil companies. This had more to do with were these oils were produced than what they are. Coconut and palm oils are typically manufacture in tropical type countries (Indonesia, Philippines, Brazil, India, etc.) Where as the majority of the Corn, Canola, and Vegetable Oils are produced in the US and Canada. All that being said...in my opinion...if the coconut oil isn't cold pressed and unrefined, then it is no different than the industrial oils. Coconut oil had a bad rap also because it is a saturated fat and again during the 80s and 90s...the height of the low-fat craze...saturated fat was the enemy. Even the American Heart association has changed it's tune on saturated fat since there is a ton of REAL science out there that confirms that saturated fat is not the villain that causes heart disease. But if you are cooking with olive oil and animal fats (tallow, lard, bacon grease...I cook everything in bacon grease I collect!), then you are doing great and there is no need to purchase coconut oil. Plus living in Utah...I can't imagine that it is cheap!

As far as Avocado Oil goes...it's pressed from the flesh of the fruit...so I am okay with this. It doesn't go through chemical and industrial processes (as long as it is cold pressed).

What you have to remember, is that if you are cooking with any kind of oil or fat that is liquid at room temperature, then it can be oxidated easily at high temps. Olive oil should only be used for light sauteing. Avocado has a higher smoke point so it can be used at slightly higher temps...but I wouldn't push it. Stick to butter, tallow, lard, coconut oil, and bacon fat when frying at high temps. There is a reason why these are solids at room temperature.

Cold River Soap Works....I've tried every rendition of their soaps, with the exception of the Olivia, and the new "Glide". The Olivia never really interested me; however, I do have a tin of the Glide en route. I've always been somewhat disappointed with the performance, given the rave reviews, but perhaps it's my water.
I have tried most of the versions of CRSW (except the glide) and didn't like any of them except for the Select version. It's the only citrus soap I own though for some reason...so I keep it around.

Good shave Don.

I’m glad the doctor is taking care of things personally and that they were able to diagnose the spot early on. Hope the op goes painlessly!
Op went well and the missus is convalescing fine...though she is fighting me all the way to do anything. The wound is in a place on her back that the stitches will easily tear if she does just about anything.

Great shave and pic.

I am glad that the doc is on top of things. It sounds like your wife is in good hands.
I believe she is. The wife doesn't like doctors at all, and she really like this one. I go see her also in a week for my skin check up.

Good shave Don. Glad to hear that the Dr. is taking care of the pre-cancerous areas sooner rather than later. SWMBO had to go through the same thing last year.
I hope everything is great with your wife!

Great read, shave, and picture Don!

Praying for your wife! Good thing they found it early!

We've been using olive oil for so long I really don't remember using corn oil. We really don't deep fry anything. I use County Crock for most things cooked in a skillet.

Thanks for the prayers Craig...I'll take them! I would really look into Country Crock. It's margarine and margarine as it's problems also...as it is made mostly from vegetable oils.

But you are also doing well, so do what works for you! I can't emphasize this enough to everyone!

That is great news that the spot was removed from your wife. We like to use olive oil when we can, just using canola when we have to. I really need to look into some of the other oils you mentioned though.

Razor: Ikon El Jefe
Blade: Feather Artist Club (New Blade)
Soap/cream: Mystic Water - Windjammer (Stick)
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac Two Band Silvertip Badger
Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
After the Aftershave: Suavecito - Whiskey Bar
Other Gear: None

John @The Monkey was kind enough to let me in on the pass around that he started with his razor El Jefe. I have tried a few SE razors, a couple gems, a PAL Adjustable, and an Injector...but I have never tried a modern SE. The razor came the other day and I decided to give it a try tonight. I know the Feather AC blades are notorious for being really sharp, so I pulled out the Mystic Water soap in the stick and began to face lather. Why Mystic Water you ask? Because it is super slick! Anyway, I face lathered using my Rudy Vey Shavemac brush, built up a really nice and slick lather and began to shave. But before I began, there was a knock on the door. A friend of mine that I have not seen in quite some time decided to stop by for a visit. Mr. Murphy picked this moment to drop in and say hi! This razor has a very wide head on account of the blade. I failed to calculate this and when I rested the blade near my sideburns, I felt a sting! That little piece of cartridge that that connects the ear to your face...yup...sliced it open. Set aside the razor and grabbed the styptic...took me a few minutes to get the bleeding to stop...but I finally did. Man was that a gusher. And I have found yet another place you can cut while shaving that really...no one should!

The shave it's self was one I concentrated on. Three pass shave. Using this razor reminded me of how much weight I have lost, because the angles on my face have drastically changed. I did get a couple of nicks in various places, but nothing
like the ear. Three passes, rinsed, my face, splashed on some Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel, let that soak in while I cleaned up and then splashed on a liberal amount of Suavecito Whiskey Bar. The Suavecito after shaves really are a bit of a disappointment. They smell great but are very short lived. This was one of the reasons I picked it for tonight...so I don't have a strong scent when I go to bed. I must report that I had a BBS shave on the cheeks and on the neck...which is highly unusual for me. So a BBS, but at what cost. There was a lot of sting with the after shave, but nothing I can't handle. But I do suspect I will have a little razor burn later. I will likely use this razor at least a few more times. Hopefully I can get it dialed in.

The Danger Zone:

Not really looking forward to work this week. Tomorrow I have to go to Opelousas (about an hour and a half down the road) and interview about eight people. I also have to finish up two reports this week...and with Memorial day and I a working only a half a day on Friday, this short week is going to be a busy one.

In an earlier post I talked about a specific strain of bacteria that I was going to use to make yogurt. Well I am happy to report that I made it today and I just took it out of the Instant Pot and into the refrigerator. I have taken pics every step of the way...I will likely post them later.

The wife's procedure went well and I have been taking care of her this weekend. It will be my turn this Friday to head to the dermatologist and get checked out. Hopefully there won't be anything to worry about. I do have a mole to get removed, but other than that...I hope everything is okay.

I hope you all have a wonderful evening!

Great picture, read, and sans the Mr. M visit shave Don!

Glad to hear the wife is doing well! Hope your week isn't too stressful!

Ouch! I've cut myself there as well, and it does bleed like stuck pig! Sounds like it was a pretty good shave otherwise. Once you get used to the razor, the irritation will subside and just leave a very smooth, BBS face!

Very glad to hear that the procedure for SWMBO went well and she's on the mend!

Great picture, read, and sans the Mr. M visit shave Don!

Glad to hear the wife is doing well! Hope your week isn't too stressful!
Thanks Craig!

Gotta be careful with those AC blades. Good shave except for the blood.
Yup...I had to learn the hard way! Thanks for reading Doug!

Ouch! I've cut myself there as well, and it does bleed like stuck pig! Sounds like it was a pretty good shave otherwise. Once you get used to the razor, the irritation will subside and just leave a very smooth, BBS face!

Very glad to hear that the procedure for SWMBO went well and she's on the mend!

Thanks Josh! Yup, still super smooth this morning. Looking to dial this razor in tomorrow.

Don getting caught up from the long weekend. I missed your response on the oil thing. I have come to similar opinion as you. Even on weight watchers (which is what I use) it sees saturated fats as a good thing, they do lower points where trans fat increases points. Carbs and sugar increase points. Protein lowers points. So while I am not entering a true ketosis stage I am technically doing low carb just by choice. Its just that I can budget my points either daily or weekly and still enjoy a beer, or a slice or 3 of pizza lol.

I think the most important thing that I hope comes from the keto fab diet that is going on right now (FYI I don't mean fab in a negative connotation so please don't take it that way) is that people recognize moderation is the most important thing.

That was fun catching up on some great shaves and awesome reads, Don! I am very glad they caught your wife's issue early, and wish her the best. SWMBO has a very high number of moles herself, and she visits the dermatologist once a year, unless they find something that needs removed and then it's a six month follow up. Regular screening is so important, and it's something so many people don't even think of.

And tough luck on the tragus slice!

Great shave aside from the bite, Don, and it's good to hear that your wife is doing well.

Don getting caught up from the long weekend. I missed your response on the oil thing. I have come to similar opinion as you. Even on weight watchers (which is what I use) it sees saturated fats as a good thing, they do lower points where trans fat increases points. Carbs and sugar increase points. Protein lowers points. So while I am not entering a true ketosis stage I am technically doing low carb just by choice. Its just that I can budget my points either daily or weekly and still enjoy a beer, or a slice or 3 of pizza lol.

I think the most important thing that I hope comes from the keto fab diet that is going on right now (FYI I don't mean fab in a negative connotation so please don't take it that way) is that people recognize moderation is the most important thing.

Well I didn't know that about Weight Watchers. I know a lot of people have had success doing that program...obviously you are one of them...so again who am I to judge. It actually makes be happy to hear you say that, because I don't think people quite understand how important fat is in our diet and in our body. Sure no one wants that big old belly or other troublesome areas....that's not what I am talking about. Fat serves a purpose for a host of functions in our body. And since the 1980s (really before) we have been told to cut fat out at all costs! We have even gone so as to create these "Franken-Foods" that don't occur naturally and have have to be manufactured (vegetable oils I am looking at you). It is no wonder our society is as sick as we are.

The problem with the Ketogenic Diet is that everyone sees these quick results like mine. In my first three months of doing keto I lost 45 pounds. I am now five months into it and I am almost at 60 pounds lost. All they see is how quick I lost the weight. What they fail to realize is that I didn't go into this because I wanted to lose weight...now that is part of it...I went into this wanting to cure my Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease...I went into this wanting to reverse my insulin resistance...I went into this to lower my high blood pressure...I went into this because I want to be around on this great blue planet of ours for a very long time. If I didn't take control of my own health (because lets face it...no one else was...especially the medical industry) then no one else would.

I say all this because the vast majority of people who are doing a keto "diet" are likely doing it for the wrong reasons. If you are perfectly healthy and "think" you have 10 pounds to lose and want to get them off quick...that is the wrong reason to be on keto. You don't have to be completely unhealthy to go Keto...you just need to really know why you are doing it. Once I cure all my issues and get to a healthy weight...I still might do keto for the protective qualities it imparts to the brain and body against a host of diseases. I love the energy I have from the Ketones I am producing. I love the way I feel...I just love being me right now.

I do believe that everyone should lower their carb intake...specifically grains and sugar. That alone can heal alot of issues. But does everyone need to do Keto...nope...just eat and feel better! Sorry for the long response.

Razor: Ikon El Jefe
Blade: Feather Artist Club (2nd Shave)
Soap/cream: Strop Shoppe - Instinct
Brush: Stirling Finest Badger
Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
After the Aftershave: Fine - American Blend
The Aftershave to the Aftershave that is After that...I'm confused: Fine - American Blend EdT

I have been out of my Fine American Blend for a while now and decided to order some the other day. Picked up the EdT also...why? Because it is Fine American Blend...duh? I fell in love with this scent when I first started traditional wet shaving. And I still love it today. Second shave with El Jefe. He is not quite as bad as I made him out to be on the last shave, but I still need to pay attention. He is a very efficient shaver. The wide blade lets you cover your face and neck with fewer strokes. If you can get your touch right...this would be a good thing. The razor is still very aggressive in my opinion. Maybe a blade that is little bit smoother might make all the difference in the shave. Either way...shaved with some Unobtainium with the Strop Shoppe Instinct. I always love this stuff and the post shave feel is exceptional. In Chads grading system this guy teeters on the line of box two and box three of the first tier. It's good stuff nonetheless! Shave was a BBS with some minor caveats...but a better shave than I get for almost any other. Splashed on a VERY LIBERAL amount of FAB and the planets aligned!

The Danger Zone

Not a lot to report on the home-front. I went to Opelousas the day before yesterday and interviewed 13 people for a case I am investigating. That has to be some kind of record! The wife is healing well and I have my own check up with dermatology t
omorrow afternoon. We will see how things go. Just busy at work trying to get my last reports in for this month.

Thanks for reading guys...I know I am long winded from time to time and I am certain you get bored of all my nonsense. Have a wonderful day gents...and I will see you for the next shave!

Great read Don. Glad your wife is doing well.

Thanks!

That was fun catching up on some great shaves and awesome reads, Don! I am very glad they caught your wife's issue early, and wish her the best. SWMBO has a very high number of moles herself, and she visits the dermatologist once a year, unless they find something that needs removed and then it's a six month follow up. Regular screening is so important, and it's something so many people don't even think of.

And tough luck on the tragus slice!
I think we all forget about the most protective organ on our body...our skin!

Great shave aside from the bite, Don, and it's good to hear that your wife is doing well.

Thanks!

Nice set up and shave, Don. I've got some Strop Shoppe in the Russian Tea scent, and it will be a sad day when it disappears. Fine AB is an amazing scent, and I've got to pull the trigger on the cologne soon.

I've got some Strop Shoppe in the Russian Tea scent, and it will be a sad day when it disappears.

Sshh! You are supposed to keep that quiet! You will now have mobs at your door demanding you hand over the Russian Tea Scent! I might be one of them!

Nice couple of posts, Don!

Rumor has it that Stirling is attempting to acquire the Russian Tea scent from Strop Shoppe, like they did with the Baker Street. not sure how successful they've been.

Back