The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Today's pics are about the kids. Yeah, I know I focus a lot on the children and the women, but they are going to be the ones who will suffer the most. Women are beaten, tortured and mutilated everyday under Taliban rule. Younger girls are forced into sexual slavery and are raped. Boys are beaten to the point that they need hospitalization. Of course, they won't get it, because doctors and health care professionals are few and far between and are only reserved for the "worthy."

I know this is hard to swallow for many of you that is why I am posting in my journal. Just know that life in Afghanistan has very little value. Also, think of things this way. If you are an 18 year old girl raised in much of Afghanistan, you never knew what life was like under Taliban Rule. You likely went to school and had a life free of fear that the above things would be done to you. How do these kids in the pics I post feel now?

IMG_1850.jpgPicture 081.jpgPicture 024.jpgPicture 026.jpgJewlery Girl.JPG

Last edited:
The pictures really bring home the human element and I thank you. Too often we forget or just don’t take the time to understand the true impacts of our decisions (as a country). We have plans when we go in but not going out. We see 30 second clips that don’t really capture the human aspects.

I just spent 25 minutes on the phone with the staffs of my two US senators and my Representative asking for their plans to ensure we live up to our promises. And I will continue contacting them until they do.

I understand we have a lot of here and to some it may not make sense why we invest in a county thousands of miles a way. But history has shown, if we do not live up to our obligations- the long term impacts have dire consequences.

thank you again for posting

The pictures really bring home the human element and I thank you. Too often we forget or just don’t take the time to understand the true impacts of our decisions (as a country). We have plans when we go in but not going out. We see 30 second clips that don’t really capture the human aspects.

I just spent 25 minutes on the phone with the staffs of my two US senators and my Representative asking for their plans to ensure we live up to our promises. And I will continue contacting them until they do.

I understand we have a lot of here and to some it may not make sense why we invest in a county thousands of miles a way. But history has shown, if we do not live up to our obligations- the long term impacts have dire consequences.

thank you again for posting
Thanks Brian for taking the time to comment. I am glad that you are taking the time to contact your duly elected representatives on the matter. I have fired off some emails on the situation to some of my representatives/senators as well. While how this situation unfolded is very political, help to those who need it should not be.

While in Afghanistan, I have eaten at the "tables" of the well off, the poor, the connected, and the suffering. I have witnessed first hand the joy of children who can play freely. I have also seen what happens to those who are the objects of very bad men. We don't think of Afghanistan as this place rich in wonder and beauty. But I am here to say that the places I have seen and the people I have shared bread with have immense beauty and spirit.

All I know is that what is happening in Afghanistan is a travesty and a catastrophe on a human level. It breaks my heart to see and think of what is and what will happen there.

I am gonna refrain from much comment except to say its sad what is happening over there. When I was still active duty we were in IRAQ so that is where I was mostly (I was other places too but thats not for public comment...) before getting injured.. So it was similar but different. I hope that make sense. (It did when I was typing.it.) I feel for everyone who is over there trying to get out and everyone who was over there. I pray that this all ultimately works out for Everyone..

Okay...maybe today I will lay off my personal feelings. How about some sight seeing. These pics are from part of my stomping grounds. It's a place called Herat. If you ever read "The Kite Runner" then you have heard of this place. Herat is a city and a Provence, and is Afghanistan's 2nd or 3rd largest city, depending on the source (Kabul being the largest and I think Mazar-Sharif being the next one). It was very economically prosperous and was very stable from a security standpoint. It is very close to the Iranian Border. But Herat through the centuries was a cross road along the famous Silk Road. So it was very important culturally and as far as trade goes.

Here are just a few pics from the city...

Picture 036.jpgPicture 040.jpgPicture 042.jpg Picture 045.jpg

Okay guys...we are continuing our little trip to Afghanistan. Since none of you are likely to go there and I actually have seen (at least a third of the country) fairly extensively. I am going to take you to one of my favorite places in all the world. The Minaret of Jam.

Okay to give you an idea where it is at and where I was...here is a map. I was located on the west side of Afghanistan in Herat. The red marker indicates the Minaret of Jam. The map doesn't really serve justice in showing where exactly the roads, mountains, rivers and such are. Let's just say that it wasn't really easy to get to.

1630063808485.png

If you want to learn a little about the Minaret of Jam...it is actually a UNESCO world heritage site. It dates back to around 1200 and sits between some mountains and along side a river. It is VERY hard to get to. The Quranic verse that is on the Minaret is done in turquoise tile. It is absolutely amazing! There is a double helix stairwell inside that goes all the way to the top as well. if you want to read more about it...and I encourage you to do so...here is a decent write up about it from the UNESCO web site: Minaret and Archaeological Remains of Jam

But without further ado...here are some of my pics...

DSCN1899.JPGDSCN1900.JPGDSCN1901.JPGDSCN1904.JPG

Back