The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Nice shave Don! I hope your work can solidify their re-opening phases soon. A lot hinges on the specifics of such plans. We’re going through that process at my work too.

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: The Sudsy Soapery in collaboration with Chatillon Lux - Lemon Rose Chypre
Brush: Purple and Gold Brush by Eric Sorrentino (@Smattayu )
Penultimate Aftershave: Ultimate Osage
The Ultimate Aftershave: The Sudsy Soapery in collaboration with Chatillon Lux - Lemon Rose Chypre

View attachment 25087

Okay...so I haven't exactly shaved with this today. I haven't shaved today at all. But I plan on it. Probably in the next 30 minutes of so. So I may actually post about the shave later. Or maybe not. What I can say is the last time I shaved was last Wednesday. Not sure how that happened...but it did. I need to get back to shaving at least four or five times a week again. I just feel better when I do.

The Danger Zone

WFH...that seems to be the ongoing theme with everyone...or nearly everyone. My work isn't exactly great at communicating with their employees so I have no idea when I go back more often or permanently. I do know that right now we are in a 25% phase meaning only 25% of our people are at work on any single day. We go into Phase II on June 1st, and I don't quite know what that bodes for us. Do we go to 50% work force? 75% Workforce? 100%? Do we go directly to jail without passing go? Who really knows. Either way...I am actually getting some things done. Hopefully finishing up a report today and then turning it in either tomorrow or Thursday. Friday I am physically in the office again.

Hope you all had a relaxing weekend. I pray the Cadre is healthy and happy!

Okay...concerning yesterday's shave...and yes, I did shave...It was amaze-balls! I don't know if it was the fact that I hadn't shaved in almost a week and my skin was rejoicing in that it could breath again...or if it was my technique. Either way...it was a really good shave. It's hard to say anything negative with this soap. Sudsy Soapery had a pretty damn good soap in the beginning when it was a veggie soap. Then they added some tallow to it and it just became excellent.

When I first received this set, I wasn't sure I was going to like the scent. Turns out that the citrus, floral, and woody/mossy profile of the scent really work well together to give a nice simple but sophisticated scent.

Since I had so much hair on my face I opted for a four passer. First pass was a north/south pass but I cranked the aggressiveness up on the Progress several notches. Second pass was much the same, except that I turned the dial on the razor down a bit. Rest of the shave was typical...east/west-west/east (depending on what side of the face and neck), and the south/north.

I ended up with a BBS shave with very little irritation. This doesn't happen often for me. I just guess the planets were aligned just right.

Slapped on some juice of the same name. This aftershave has some menthol in it and with a nice kick. The only issue I have with this AS is that it is really oily. So it is not just enough to shake it...but you have to shake it well.

Today's shave will be in the next post.

Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Cold River Soap Works - Select - Citrus
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
Penultimate Aftershave: Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations - Post Shave Elixir - White Mountain
The Ultimate Aftershave: Florida Water

1590584577280.png

So...I did actually shave with this set up earlier. So this isn't a projection but an accounting of a shave that was performed. 🤪

I was looking in the Den to find something that fit the shave theme of the month and saw the Cold River Soap Works container. I haven'e shaved with this soap in a really long time. Actually I can't recall the last time I shave with it. So I took it for a spin. This is the Select version of CRSW's soaps. And I like it plenty. Their Glide version is a better all around soap in my opinion...but if you want a really slick soap...the Select will do. The scent on this soap is a generic citrus scent. Not lemon or orange or lime...but all of them in one. It's nice...it's bright but not too bright.

The shave itself went well enough. Not as good as yesterday's shave, but good. Every time I pull out the 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blade...I seem to get some good shaves in. I am starting to wonder if I need to just make this my go to blade. Anyway...three standard passes, no blood, and I have a DFS.

An application of LNHC Post Shave Elixir soothed any irritation that I might have had...HOWEVER...after an appropriate amount of time I went ahead with the Florida Water. And as much as I would like to bathe in the stuff...I just can't because of the wife's pregnant super snooter. So a conservative splash on the face will do...except that my face lit up faster than monkeys in a rocket ship! It toned down a bit...but man that was intense. But hey...now I smell good!

The Danger Zone

The rails came in for the crib/conversion bed yesterday so I went to pick them up. The furniture set we bought has a crib that can be converted to a toddler bed, then a day bed when the kid even gets older, and then later the rails can be added to convert to a twin size bed. Or is it full..or single...honestly...I have no idea what the smaller sizes of beds are. I only know queen and king size. (Just checked and it's a full size) Anyway...got that, but up in the attic it goes for a couple of years.

Didn't get as much work done yesterday as I would have liked...but there is always today.

I hope the cadre has a wonderful day today!

Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (3rd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Storybook Soapworks - Visions & Revisions
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
Penultimate Aftershave: Ultimate Osage
The Ultimate Aftershave: Chatillon Lux - Weinstrasse

I haven't used Visions and Revisions in quite a while and this is a soap I think is really underrated. An outstanding performing soap with a nice scent that is not offensive and doesn't linger. So you are free to splash on whatever it is that you want. The scent is bergamot, lemon, and orange, along with lavender and black tea. It's just a really nice scent. Went three passes with the progress for a pretty damn good shave. Nothing bad to report here.

I did an intermediary splash with Kyle's Ultimate Osage. Feel the Freeze. A while back @gobucks5485 sent me a few samples of some Chatillon Lux Aftershaves. Embarrassingly, I am just getting around to them. Today Weinstrasse got the call. I have to admit that out of the vial, I did not think I was going to like it at all. It just seemed to sickly sweet for even me. Scent notes on this aftershave are: white grape, honeysuckle, iris, blackcurrant bud, helichrysum, sandalwood, coumarin, oakmoss and musk. Pretty much a good representation of the Flowers, Forest, and Fruit theme we are doing. But that bottle was super sweet. I splashed it on anyway...and I have to say...the longer it stays on, the more I like it. It dries down to an amazing representation of what I sniffed in the bottle. More on the dry side and not the sweet. It's hard to describe. I have another splash or two with this...so maybe I can nail down the scent by that time.

The Danger Zone

Off to work today...I mean actually off to work. I only had to go into the office once this week...so I am not going to complain all that much. Other than that...life is pretty much the same!

Hope the Cadre has an awesome day!

Hope it’s a good day at the office!

How you liking the Osage Mix vs Thayers? Gonna be a home witch hazel mixing convert after this?

Back