The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Nice shave today Don!! That's a pretty pup you have there! We get all of our animals as rescues as well...there are too many good animals in the pounds/animal control cages to bother going to a breeder, and they tend to be much more thankful for the rescue!

I have had a couple of dogs from a breeder, Chauncey...who is above...included, but currently I am under the belief that there are a lot of animals out there that need love and good home to ever go back to a breeder. Unfortunately, it will be awhile before we decided on another dog. Allie likes her pack, but she is not a fan of other dogs. No big deal for me...Allie and Chauncey have larger than life personalities!

Don, in my immediate family we have 3 rescue dogs. But in our case, I have to ask the question, who rescued whom? Don't get me wrong, we are still a pretty screwed up family. I just know we would be worse without them.

I'm so glad that the treatments are helping her.

Thanks Walt! You are absolutely correct. Our dogs have gotten us through some pretty rough times. They don't change...they roll with the punches. And the love you in the end. I am thoroughly convinced that Fido is smarter than we are!

On a side note that most people don't really think about. Not so much anymore but a common name for a dog used to be Fido. We have come to know that dogs are "man's best friend." The Fido stems from the Latin word fidelis...and any US Marine knows that fidelis means faithful (Marine Corps Motto is Semper Fidelis...Always Faithful). In turn, when we call a dog Fido, what we are really saying as that he is faithful and trustworthy. I took five semesters of Latin in college and it took my wife explaining that to me to realize why we call dogs Fido.

Razor: 1962 Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade: Rapira Super Stainless (4th Shave)
Soap/cream: Storybook Soapworks - Visons and Revisions
Brush: Stirling - Asylum Brush Works - Cheswick Synthetic
Aftershave: Thayers Peach Witch Hazel
After the Aftershave: Osage Rub
After that After Shave, which makes it the beginning again...I think - Sir Irisch Moos

I wasn't sold on shaving today at all, but it's Hawaiian Shirt Day (at least in my mind) and I wanted to feel and look all snazzy today. I think it was Chris @cmh737 who just used V&R and got me thinking that I had a brand new tub of this stuff and haven't used it yet. I purchased this and a tub of Coffee Spoons by SBSW solely because they are taken from one of my favorite poems ever...The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S. Elliot. Don't blame me...I have an English degree so I geek out on things like this. Shaving and 20th Century American Poetry? Ye Please!

I pulled the tub out and sure enough...unused. The scent on this is top notch. I know it is supposed to be something of an Earl Grey tea scent...and I do smell the black tea...but this is heavy on the citrus...lemon specifically. Don't get me wrong...it is a really good scent...and I like it...A LOT! If any of you are wondering of this a good comparison to Russian Tea...it is not. Russian Tea was a spicier scent, and not like an English Breakfast Tea.

I was very surprised at how this stuff lathers. It is very creamy...thick like a soap and maybe it requires a tad more work than most...but it ends up with a very creamy luxurious texture. A lot of protection, a better than average slickness, great residual slickness, a really good post shave feel. It's only a first shave...so I am not ready to make final judgement on this...but this is likely a
Tier 1 soap...but at the bottom of tier one...with room for improvement. It's good stuff, I just need to find out how good.

I did realize that I am devoid of citrus type scents. I have Orange Dirt, but that doesn't pair with this well. I have Florida Water...but not for this soap. There is Avon Island Lime...but I wasn't in the mood for lime this morning. I was, however, in the mood for a brisk splash of the face...so Osage Rub went on first. But I wanted some smell good with my pretty darn good shave. Then I remembered that I have a small bottle of Sir Irisch Moos after shave. I don't pull this out often because it is hard to get sometimes and I guess I am trying to make it last. Pulled out the SIM and man...that is a pretty good match for V&R. Maybe not perfect...but there is enough citrus in it and it is bright enough to compliment this soap. A couple of glugs and this handsome Aloha shirt wearing dude smells like a hundred bucks!

The Danger Zone

NKo time for love Dr. Jones!

Great reads, Don! Interesting about your dogs and the acupuncture - I had not heard of that for animals. Our black lab, which is also a rescue, is the same way with thunder and fireworks! I’ll see if our vet does the accupuncture. I’d comment more about stuff, but I’m pecking away on my iPhone and it’s quite frustrating for me. I’ll have to wait till I get home to the computer - LOL.

Well congratulations Don! You win the prize as the furthest behind journal reading so far for me. 16 days!

All caught up now! Not sure how you wound up in this position, but you did.

Great review on the Noble Otter, another one for the bucket list!

Some great shaves, reads, and pictures!

Glad to hear that SWBMO is healing up!

Never heard of acupuncture for a dog before, but then again, why not?

I learned to new words catching up Rougarou and Kumbucha.

Sorry I got so far behind!

No problem at all Craig! I never expect anyone to read this journal let alone comment. But I do appreciate it! I guess your synopsis of the past days made me realize that no matter how mundane our lives seem, there is always something going on. Thanks again for reading!

I'm bouncing around reading some and realizing I'll never get caught up on everyones or be able to keep up. Nice shaves !!

It can be quite overwhelming! What I do is I read what I can and comment or like where I want to. When I get behind, sorry to say, but I usually just read the last post be the OP and go from there. Especially as TSC grows, there is no way one person will be able to keep up with the with the entire forum. You have to make this enjoyable to you! If it isn't fun, then it will seem like a chore.

Thanks for reading! I hope you figure out your own system!

Razor: 1962 Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade: Ladas (New Blade)
Soap/cream: Noble Otter - Lonestar
Brush: Stirling - Rudy Vey - Shavemac Two Band Silver Tip Badger
Aftershave: Thayers Peach Witch Hazel
After the Aftershave: Osage Rub
After that After Shave, which makes it the beginning again...I think - Noble Otter - Lonestar!

It's a candid SOTD!

A quick down and dirty today. Went with the Noble Otter Lonestar again. I thought I might have screwed up my lather, but this stuff really stuck it out and the soap did not disappoint. Still think this soap has at least one of the best post shave feels in any soap I have tried. Ended up with BBS on the cheeks and and a really good DFS+ on the neck. I now might think of purchasing another scent in Noble Otter. I wanted a blast of freeze this morning so a glug or two Osage Rub and I am ready for the 95 degree and 85% humidity that a Louisiana summer day brings. Finished up with the Lonestar aftershave and now I do smell like a proper Southern Gentleman.

The Danger Zone:

It was Father's Day yesterday and the wife made her Lasagna. I know everyone has their family's own recipe. But let me tell you...my wife's is likely better. Yup it's her Grammy's recipe. The wife's family on he Mother's side is Italian (family name is Genovese if that gives any indication), and Grammy was off the boat. This was only the second time in the last six months I have moved off of my way of eating. And it was worth it! I don't eat lasagna in a restaurant because my wife's is that good. Anyway, I limited myself to just yesterday and I am back on things again this morning. I am happy to report there w
ere no ill effects (aside from a little bit of gas).

I hope you all have a wonderful Monday!

Great shave Don!! Can't wait for the Otter to show up out here so I can experience it myself!

Good stuff Don. There are two dishes I will never order at a restaurant. Those are Lasagna and Spaghetti. I have had way too many delicious homemade versions. Your wife's sounds divine. Those are also the two dishes where I'm literally like, "what's a carb? And why is it bad for me when it tastes so GOOD!!!" Indulging occasionally is definitely worth it!

Good shave Don!

I love a good Italian meal, glad you could indulge for a day. I wish my family had some handed down recipes (I have an Italian side of the family and also a Chinese side), but the grandmothers/great grandmothers on either side were all cooks by intuition and wrote nothing down unfortunately.

You remind me to bug my parents. For a while they and my aunts/uncles thought they had recreated a family coginette recipe (type of Italian sweet paste cookie, I’m not even sure that’s how it’s spelled), but it was super involved and no one wanted to make it every year...then the recipe got lost or put away somewhere. Sad!

Good shave Don!

I love a good Italian meal, glad you could indulge for a day. I wish my family had some handed down recipes (I have an Italian side of the family and also a Chinese side), but the grandmothers/great grandmothers on either side were all cooks by intuition and wrote nothing down unfortunately.

You remind me to bug my parents. For a while they and my aunts/uncles thought they had recreated a family coginette recipe (type of Italian sweet paste cookie, I’m not even sure that’s how it’s spelled), but it was super involved and no one wanted to make it every year...then the recipe got lost or put away somewhere. Sad!

That is Sad indeed!

It can be quite overwhelming! What I do is I read what I can and comment or like where I want to. When I get behind, sorry to say, but I usually just read the last post be the OP and go from there. Especially as TSC grows, there is no way one person will be able to keep up with the with the entire forum. You have to make this enjoyable to you! If it isn't fun, then it will seem like a chore.

Thanks for reading! I hope you figure out your own system!
Words of wisdom there and I will make it fun. Just don't want anyone to feel I'm overlooking them but, I guess everyone realizes as things grow difficulty arises and all having different amounts of time to allocate to here. Looks like we were both using Slims today. Mine was my birth year and quarter from 1964. Have a great day !

Back