The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Weck passaround

I've seen a lot of DEs from you but have you used a SR before or will this be your first go?
How dare you question my Texanity! I'll have you know that I have several varying sharp objects to shave with! *grabs rusty Bowie stolen from The Alamo*
But yeah, I have two straights that I hardly use because I feel like they suck and need honing. The Weck will be the test to compare against them.

Not everyone rides the Bulls at the Rodeo!
You're damn right! That's for the wild cowboys.

What blades do you have?
Alfred Krank "Habby" 4/8 with an I haven't the slightest idea grind.
Koch & Schafer "Kama 23" Spike Nose 6/8 Inch with an I haven't the slightest idea grind.

I've actually been meaning to ask you if you could hone them up, but I'm going to wait to see if it's me who sucks at straights or the actual blades.

You're damn right! That's for the wild cowboys.

Alfred Krank "Habby" 4/8 with an I haven't the slightest idea grind.
Koch & Schafer "Kama 23" Spike Nose 6/8 Inch with an I haven't the slightest idea grind.

I've actually been meaning to ask you if you could hone them up, but I'm going to wait to see if it's me who sucks at straights or the actual blades.
cool. 4/8 razors are very interesting. it's very easy to wander out of the proper cutting angle. There a few different ginds out there but this covers most of them
blade-grind.jpg

just shoot me a PM if you want me to have a go at them.

cool. 4/8 razors are very interesting. it's very easy to wander out of the proper cutting angle. There a few different ginds out there but this covers most of them
View attachment 4520

just shoot me a PM if you want me to have a go at them.
I had read that the 4/8 was easier to maneuver which is why I thought I'd check it out.

sorry to see you got weepers, when i had it fortunately i didn't get those.....what did/ do you think of it? i loved it.........
@uacowboy, I find the first shave with the Personna to be harsh but they smooth out nice after a couple of shaves. You can strop it or some people will cork it.

yeah the unguarded shave today has me feeling a bit raw(at least partly my fault) but i am liking the Weck quite a bit. I may give it a bit of stropping before tomorrows shave and put the guard back on.

sorry to see you got weepers, when i had it fortunately i didn't get those.....what did/ do you think of it? i loved it.........

They were my own fault. Call it overconfidence with an unfamiliar tool.

yeah the unguarded shave today has me feeling a bit raw(at least partly my fault) but i am liking the Weck quite a bit. I may give it a bit of stropping before tomorrows shave and put the guard back on.

They were my own fault. Call it overconfidence with an unfamiliar tool.
yep i understand, I was slow and steady with it, I think so far it is my favorite of that type of razor.........

It'll be in the mail Tomorrow.

As for final thoughts, its definitely not a true traditional straight razor but it is darn close once the guard is off, just watch those corners. With the guard on it's a really nice shaver. Honestly I'm surprised how much I like it and will for sure be picking one up at some point. I can see this as my go to for when I'm wanting a SR shave but not feeling quite up to using a fully naked blade.

Nice thoughts Kyle and I can't wait to try it out! Thanks John for letting us all have a go with it!

Okay...first shave with the Weck is in the books. I actually did a video also! Imagine that. The video will be a while because it is still uploading to the cloud. Then I have to do my edits and then still upload it to the Tube of You. So it might be awhile. If it doesn't go up today...then it will be first thing in the morning. Anyway...

Well the first thing I realized after I shaved with the Weck for the first time is that...I seriously need a lot of practice. I am no good with my hand positions and I often don't even know how to angle the razor to accommodate the contours of my face and neck. It is fair to say, however, that my cheeks are super smooth after even the first pass. I did most a North to South pass, then switched to my Progress. Curious how the rest of the week will go with this razor.

Razor #1: Weck Sextoblade
Blade #1: Personna Hair Shaper
Rozer #2: Merkur Progress (New Blade)
Blade #2: Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow?) (4th Shave)
Soap/Cream: Stirling - Weekend in Malibu
Brush: TSC First Anniversary Brush by Eric Sorrentino @Smattayu
The Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Stirling - Weekend in Malibu

Looks like you had a damn decent shave. I'm glad there wasn't any blood.

Back