The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ultimate Minimalist Competition

This is my biggest struggle right now. My blade, at 339 shaves is starting to feel more like a trowel than a razor.
Cmon guys I have the stuff already boxed up. You can doooo it!

Cmon guys I have the stuff already boxed up. You can doooo it!
OH I'm not stopping, just saying...

iu

7 more shaves Gents and some Spaghetti coming your way, or The Original if you prefer

Now the question is:

Which one of you two will set the Lou Gehrig of shaving records??

We made it! 365 shaves on one puck of Williams soap and 1 Gillette Nacet blade. Good lordy what a long time. What have we learned and how are things today.

First I'd like to say that Williams is a good soap. If it were still in production and commonly available at grocery stores and the like it would be the go to for the budget shaver and the simple shave alike. My longevity with the soap is 100% due to the no-rinse brush (aka "grandpa brush") technique and the saving/reusing of lather. Even after all these shaves there are still crumbs left in the mug. The problem is now there is a high percentage of old stubbly bits mixed in with the remaining soap, and frankly its kinda gross.
20240227_085457.jpg

As for the blade. Oh goodness I have been limping, dragging, and forcing this thing to the end just on sheer will. I'd say this was in good need of replacement 100 shaves ago, but simply kept shaving because I didn't let it go. It is quite rough and dull at this point. Easily these can do 100 shaves, and are still pretty decent up to 200, but after that it was a long haul. It is rusted, busted and super encrusted.
20240227_085518.jpg

With all that being said I have to say this is it, I'm done, no more, I give up, its over, so long and thanks for all the fish, goodbye and good luck to this challenge. Can it be done? Yes. Should it be done? I guess that depends on your purpose. I think it certainly proves that more of our use cases could have longer timelines then they do in our everyday shaves.

iu

Back