The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Watch List

I am a huge Omega fan, but the Grand Seiko Spring Drive eats its lunch!

Spring Drive is sweet and there were several I thought I wanted just as much as the Aqua Terra I'm looking at. Until I went and saw them in person. Most of them were Zzzzzz.

FYI, $300 off any watch at Crown & Caliber this weekend with MDW300

I am a huge Omega fan, but the Grand Seiko Spring Drive eats its lunch!

I agree the movement is a nice hybrid of almost “accutron” like movement and automatic works, however the overall fit and finish is typical Seiko, which is nice, but imho does not justify the Grand Seiko prices and to echo what Dave mentioned, esthetically they are just mediocre to me

but imho does not justify the Grand Seiko prices and to echo what Dave mentioned, esthetically they are just mediocre to me
They aren't the sexy beasts that say, a Planet Ocean chronograph or GMT, might be, but their build and accuracy are very fair in that price point.

Some comparative evidence.

Grand_Seiko-9RSpringDrive-SBGE257.jpg

omega-seamaster-planet-ocean-gmt-goodplanet-watch-23232442203001--176701_b.jpg

They aren't the sexy beasts that say, a Planet Ocean chronograph or GMT, might be, but their build and accuracy are very fair in that price point.

Some comparative evidence.

Grand_Seiko-9RSpringDrive-SBGE257.jpg

omega-seamaster-planet-ocean-gmt-goodplanet-watch-23232442203001--176701_b.jpg
Don’t misunderstand I am not saying they are a bad watch, quite the opposite , however this illustrates my point that esthetically, they are just not quite there for me, now the Seiko diver line is, to me where Seiko really sets the bar. In fact the Monster is a perfect example, and to be honest the hybridization of a quartz movement and a rotor to power it is not a new concept. It have more Selina has one as well, but in the end it is a quartz watch, which is ok, but to me, again other than the divers, I grew up when you could buy Seiko at almost any retailer such as Sears, Kmart, etc. in fact in the 80’s everyone had a Seiko. I know it is not the same company as those days, I just do not see the designs that appeal to me personally.

Don’t misunderstand I am not saying they are a bad watch, quite the opposite , however this illustrates my point that esthetically, they are just not quite there for me, now the Seiko diver line is, to me where Seiko really sets the bar. In fact the Monster is a perfect example, and to be honest the hybridization of a quartz movement and a rotor to power it is not a new concept. It have more Selina has one as well, but in the end it is a quartz watch, which is ok, but to me, again other than the divers, I grew up when you could buy Seiko at almost any retailer such as Sears, Kmart, etc. in fact in the 80’s everyone had a Seiko. I know it is not the same company as those days, I just do not see the designs that appeal to me personally.
giphy.gif

@wristwatchb my father-in-law wore an 18k 1953 Patek to my wedding. Stunning in its simplicity and heritage. He ultimately sold it, which made me sad. For me a pie-pan Constellation on a beads of rice band, is the pinnacle dress watch.

il_fullxfull.2578605534_6uv5.jpg
Wow, your Dad had fantastic taste in watches! Too bad that one didn't remain in the family.

Agreed on the Constellation. It's an absolute classic and a beauty. My Bride tried on a lady's SS/18K Constellation many years ago just for fun (that's how things start :)), and I could tell instantly that she loved it. Santa gave her one for Christmas that year, and it has barely left her wrist in 25+ years.

It's interesting how certain watches will speak to one person and not another. My Bride also tried on a lady's SS/18K Rolex Datejust, and she immediately said it was too bulky.

I can't say my Bride is a one-watch person, though. She also has a Winnie The Poo Disney watch. :ROFLMAO:

Over the years I've bought my wife several nice watches. Not "Omega" level, but nice. Now all she wants to wear is an Apple watch. :mad:

Smart watches.. Evil, no-soul, electronic geegaws....

Apologies to the smart watch users here..

it-looks-good-on-you-though-caddyshack.gif

I KID!! I KID!!! 😁

Last edited:
Back