The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Watch List

So I will take young Gear's advice and I found a local shop with good reviews. But I am now up to 4 watches that are not totally functional and likely more to come as I chip away at replacing batteries and such. As I pondered the meaning of things and future actions after discovering the list cost of maintenance I came to the conclusion of the day. Well, the first conclusion of the day. $200-600 is the death zone for watch purchases. Below $200, it's not heartbreak if it stops working and you need to just toss it. Over $600, it's likely worth the money to fix it. It's that $200-600 where it's going to hurt just to toss a thing, but it's likely not worth repairing vs replacing.

The 2nd conclusion of the day is ya'll are a bunch of 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 . Before all this, I would have ignorantly and happily just bought whatever struck my fancy. Now it's all an existential crisis. The solution needs to be just not caring and buying whatever. Or nothing. But that will be hard to achieve. To quote Monty Python, I fart in your general direction. (in a loving way)

Oh ya, Dave, please get the high-end repair tools :love:

@NurseDave DIY watch maintenance is also an option.

This guy has some seriously cool watches. watchwallpapers.com

Watch maintenance is expensive. That's why I have a small rotation of mechanicals. If you do nothing else to a watch you want to keep forever, make sure you have the seals checked periodically. Moisture will destroy more watches than anything. Another easy thing is to keep your metal bracelets clean. Wrist gunk (a medical term) will get between the bracelet links, and it forms an abrasive paste that will eventually cause a bracelet to fail. Google "watch bracelet stretch," and you will see plenty of examples of what happens when you don't deep clean the bracelet periodically.

For my two favorite mechanicals, I purchased spare OEM bracelets. My descendents will thank me.

I'd also recommend going to a trained watchmaker. Beware of the mall guy. He only charges $10 for a reason.

Last edited:
@NurseDave DIY watch maintenance is also an option.
Yes, I figure with the one I'd really like to get working if repair shops are too much, there's no harm in me poking around and seeing if I can see anything. If I wasn't already in school, I think I'd seriously look for some online repair classes or something.

Back