The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Watch List

Hey experts, I’m looking for watches that have the lume on the back side of the hands so they are in silhouette. I’ve seen two in videos but can’t seem to nail down a search term that would show more results. Example below.
308EFAAC-CAF6-44DB-B3A3-DE1B27DFFD62.jpeg

That is a good question. Of the top of my head I think Bathys, MTM maybe, luminox, a few Panerai I think, these are just guesses, maybe even U-boat. Not sure though

Lume was one of the only disappointing things about my Citizen. Even if worn in sunlight a good bit of the day, the lume is pretty sub par. I usually switch to my Fenix at night because unless I’m in a decently lit area, the Citizen stops being practical.

Lume was one of the only disappointing things about my Citizen. Even if worn in sunlight a good bit of the day, the lume is pretty sub par. I usually switch to my Fenix at night because unless I’m in a decently lit area, the Citizen stops being practical.
Ya. It’s funny because I have no need for reading a watch in the dark at all. Just they look cool.

Well you know @NurseDave , he will need good Lume for his "Night-Ops" missions to sneak out to go Watch, scotch, Coffee, Pen, Cigar, food, and Shave Gear shopping

giphy.gif

Hmmm, I can’t think too hard about it because I really have no need for any watch. 🧐

@NurseDave It was interesting reading about Mondaine and why they lume the underside of the hour and minute hands on some of their watches. If you like the effect, I'd ask your local watchmaker if he/she could lume the underside of the hands on a watch of your choice. Watchmakers relume hands all the time, so I bet it's possible. I think it would work best with a light-colored dial.

An Orient Bambino (which is a cool watch its own right with an in-house mechanical movement) wouldn't break the bank and would be an interesting watch to mod in this way. Depending on the markers, you could get some interesting lume reflections. Quite a few different styles within the Bambino line are available.

I won't debate your silly proposition of not needing another watch, but maybe this approach will work...

That’s just crazy enough it might work!
You'll find all kinds of videos showing watchmakers re-lume hands. Spend a little time researching the different lumes as some are stronger than others. It probably depends on whether your local watchmaker would be willing to experiment a little for you. You can always pick up a spare set of hands, and if you didn't like the lume effect, you could swap 'em out with the spare set.

Back