The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Watch List

Got 2 new ones in today...
img_20220115_140825078_hdr-jpg.73323
IMG_20220115_120019589.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220115_140825078_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220115_140825078_HDR.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 107
When you guys talk about Seikos what is a "Willard" or "turtle"? I assumed "turtle" was a nickname based on case shape? Is Willard a nickname based on something or just a model name? Or something else?

When you guys talk about Seikos what is a "Willard" or "turtle"? I assumed "turtle" was a nickname based on case shape? Is Willard a nickname based on something or just a model name? Or something else?
This watch is based on the one Martin Sheen wore in the movie Apocalypse Now. His character's name was "Capt. Benjamin Willard" hence the "Willard" moniker.

willard_thumb.png

Last edited:
You're correct about the case shape being the source of the "turtle" name.

The one Sheen actually wore in the movie was a 70's Seiko 6105-8110 model dive watch. These models can run as much as $4K on the used market today,

So I have worn this watch a couple times since I got it and I like it but I am not sure how well I like the look and comfort of the bracelet. are Nato bands comfortable? Would one work (look ok) on this watch? I have never tried a Nato strap before.
1642457280825.pngView attachment 73519

So I have worn this watch a couple times since I got it and I like it but I am not sure how well I like the look and comfort of the bracelet. are Nato bands comfortable? Would one work (look ok) on this watch? I have never tried a Nato strap before.
View attachment 73518View attachment 73519
As long as the watch has a solid metal bar that extends the full length of the top and bottom of the face and the metal bracelet can be safely removed without damaging it, a nato band would probably work.
CE51A6A4-1DB1-42DD-A56A-E373CD92A034.jpeg

View attachment 73518View attachment 73519
NATO bands are very comfy IMO. However they can start to stink if you sweat a lot while wearing them. I think a Bond style black and orange or black and grey strap would look great on that watch.

Ok great thanks guys. A few days ago I ordered a couple NATO bands for a different watch that I can try on this one. They will be a little undersized, 20mm instead of 22mm, but close enough to give me an idea of how they look on this watch.

Back