The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Smoke Lounge

Been seeing guys that “retrohale” to get a lot more flavors from a cigar. Any of you experts able to do that? I can’t seem to figure it out.
Not an expert by any means, but yes, I do it when smoking a pipe sometimes. I tend to do it sporadically a few times throughout the bowl, But not all the time. It also depends on the tobacco as sometimes it can bring out a nice spicy or peppery note, other times there is very little change and other times it can be bitey or have too much of a sting. Can't really explain how to do it other than you expel the smoke out of your nose rather than your mouth. I don't think I have ever tried it with a cigar as I learned about retrohaling after I had kinda gotten out of cigars and into pipes.

BabaDebbit. If you can get your hands on some food grade propylene glycol, mix it 50/50 with distilled water. It has what is called a partial vapor pressure of ~70% in solution. Especially from sponges, water crystals or florist foam. It puts your humidors in cruise control. Just add a little distilled water occasionally (more so if you are prepping the cedar.
Already there sir, LOL Day 2 of Humidor seasoning and it is staying at about 70% so far so good another 2 days or so and I will put the sticks in, and Thank Your Rich

Been seeing guys that “retrohale” to get a lot more flavors from a cigar. Any of you experts able to do that? I can’t seem to figure it out.
I dont know if this is right, just something I have always done Take a medium drag, hold the smoke for a bit and then exhale through a pursed lip until the very last bit of smoke and close mouth and exhale through nose. IMHO if you try to exhale all of the smoke through the nose, you will gag and ruin any notes you are trying to taste. Think of it as a liquor in vapor form like you would taste a wine, or scotch, only this time the last bit of smoke exhaled through the nose

I had to google "retrohale." Turns out it means "Blow it out your ......... nose " :unsure:

Well played
Ha Ha..

But really .......

To Get Technical....

What does Retrohale mean?

“Retrohale” is a term cigar lovers use these days to characterize the process of blowing smoke out through the nose.
Perhaps “expelling” smoke out through the nose is a better descriptor. ...
This process is also called retronasal olfaction and is technically a blend of taste and traditional smell.

BabaDebbit. If you can get your hands on some food grade propylene glycol, mix it 50/50 with distilled water. It has what is called a partial vapor pressure of ~70% in solution. Especially from sponges, water crystals or florist foam. It puts your humidors in cruise control. Just add a little distilled water occasionally (more so if you are prepping the cedar.
PG is also used in air conditioning filtering systems and when it was first added to hospital and VA and children facilities there was a noticeable increase in the health of those there.. It is also an additive in current market vaping juice along with VG..

I, like @Fenster do this with pipe and cigars, to try and get any extra notes.

For me the method is most like moving the smoke to the back of the mouth with the tongue, and nearly trying to swallow it while exhaling through the nose the whole time.

As @BarberDave noted, probably good to do this with a smaller volume of smoke to not overwhelm the senses.

Tried the Alex Bradley American Blend tonight. Meh. Not my favorite. And I have a bunch of them now.

Ok. Tried this and got a sense of what it will be. Burned the *{^}^{ out of the back of my throat. But there actually was an explosion of flavor. Along with coughing.
We told you, just a little bit of smoke.... LOL Welcome to Retrohaling, LOL

Back