The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Smoke Lounge

Gave the Kirsten it’s maiden voyage today with some pretty dried out PS Oriental someone had sent along a while back.

Pretty big day for learning - actually kept the bowl going for the whole smoke (getting it started took a handful of matches though lol), got to know the Kirsten, tried to skirt the edges of tongue bite (still got some here and there), then the post smoke cleanup (which probably took 5+ minutes due to my ODC). Still a ways to go to get it down totally.

A question for y’all. Maybe it was just the over-dryness of the blend but while the smoke was a decent experience, the rest of the pipe out has not been so much. The pipe has some nice scent but the overall smell is a few steps above ashtray, toward camp fire, but not quite. Is that normal for a resting pipe? Or do that resting smell depend on what I’m smoking? Any guidance?

A question for y’all. Maybe it was just the over-dryness of the blend but while the smoke was a decent experience, the rest of the pipe out has not been so much. The pipe has some nice scent but the overall smell is a few steps above ashtray, toward camp fire, but not quite. Is that normal for a resting pipe? Or do that resting smell depend on what I’m smoking? Any guidance?
Curious on everyone's experience on this. To me, all stale smoke stuff stinks. I've never had a problem with the smell of pipes though because I keep them near most of my tobacco and that scent overpowers anything else. In fact, I keep all this stuff on an open shelf in the living room and from time to time something clicks just right and I get the wonderful smell of pipe tobacco from somewhere else in the room.

A resting, already smoked, uncleaned pipe, will have a stale smoke aroma to it. The best option is to clean your pipe right after you are finished smoking. Luckily for Kirstens this is an easy process to fully clean the entire pipe (disassemble, roll up paper towel, push through barrel with stinger, wipe off valve, wipe off stinger, run a pipe cleaner through stem, done).

Curious on everyone's experience on this. To me, all stale smoke stuff stinks. I've never had a problem with the smell of pipes though because I keep them near most of my tobacco and that scent overpowers anything else. In fact, I keep all this stuff on an open shelf in the living room and from time to time something clicks just right and I get the wonderful smell of pipe tobacco from somewhere else in the room.
The wife noticed the smell, I only notice it when I’m close to the pipe. It seems to be slowly fading or at least mellowing the longer it rests. I keep my tobacco in airtight jars though, since I only plan to do it occasionally, so I don’t get that extra benefit sadly.
A resting, already smoked, uncleaned pipe, will have a stale smoke aroma to it. The best option is to clean your pipe right after you are finished smoking. Luckily for Kirstens this is an easy process to fully clean the entire pipe (disassemble, roll up paper towel, push through barrel with stinger, wipe off valve, wipe off stinger, run a pipe cleaner through stem, done).
Good to know. Yea I did this...probably extra thoroughly. Even wiped the bowl out fairly well (no alcohol or anything though, just a pipe cleaner and tissue). What’s interesting is that my user grade meerschaum smells much more pleasant and sweet - I’ve had a couple partial smokes in that one but it’s rested for ages. I was curious if there was a way for both bowls to be that way resting.

Second pipe this evening in the Kirsten. This time some pretty dry/old PS Luxury Bullseye Flake.

Took quite a few standard match lights to get it going but once it did, I was able to keep it going and probably got through 80-90% of what was packed.

What’s interesting is that even though the smoke was darker and it seemed more ashy, the pipe is smelling better afterwards than the last time and I got much less bite. Weird. Both samples are from someone else’s stash. I’ve had em both (and a couple others) put away in plastic zip lock baggies for about a year. They could probably do with some rehydration honestly but I think I’m just going to push forward with them so I can get to the newer stuff I got recently (rather than try experimenting with water). They aren’t bad, but I’m curious how the newer/fresher stuff will compare.

Back