The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Gardening Thread

Japanese Beetles are horrible buggers and difficult to get rid of.
When I was a kid the laundry would hang to dry on a clothesline pulley system outside our window. Those beetles would cling to the laundry and we had to pry them off prior to folding. I remember the metallic-like sharpness of their legs and bodies. In those days, the gardeners used very potent chemicals to ward them off. About that same time of year a municipal pick up truck with a smoke generator filled the streets with DDT smoke to help control the various pestilence. We played stickball for hours in the midst of that haze.

The pair of hummingbirds that call my almond tree home are very unhappy with the sparrows that are trying to move into their territory. But the finch family (who live 2 trees down) is more than welcome by the hummingbirds. Obviously the sparrows are not as good of neighbors as the finches. The chasing and squeaking is a daily occurrence.

Back