The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Gardening Thread

Finished” 23 day old compost:

B1F3A030-E75D-4FAC-92B0-8EB09A41DB2A.jpeg

The turning and burning:
-Let it sit for 4 days
-Completely turned over on day 4, the internal temperature was +/-148°F. Added 15 gallons water
-Completely turned over on day 6 the internal temperature was +/-156°F. Added 20 gallons water. We had some anaerobic smells, so I added 2 more bags worth of leaves.
-Completely turned over on day 8 the internal temperature was +/-160°F. Added 20 gallons water.
-Completely turned over on day 10 the internal temperature was +/-154°F. Added 20 gallons water.
-Completely turned over on day 12 the internal temperature was +/-145°F. Added 15 gallons water. Finally getting nice and damp!
-Completely turned over on day 15 the internal temperature was +/138°F. We’ve had plenty of rain and it’s damp throughout and still super steamy.
- Completely turned over on day 18 the internal temperature was +/130°F. I added 10 gallons of water to the base of the pile, which was the top, it was a bit dry. The center was still hot and steamy.
-Completely turned over on day 20 the internal temperature was +/120°F. Added 10 gallons of water, still had a hot center, but it was noticeably more crumbly. This
-Completely turned over on day 23 the internal temperature was +/105°F. The pile was much more loose and easy to work with a much smaller hot center. At this point I’m going to wet it down and cover it with a tarp to mellow for about a month and let the worms and bugs work it some more before using it to side dress. DONE!

On to the next one!

C5A2EE8E-F1B8-4EB8-942C-752AA627FF24.jpeg

2 day old Hot compost:
I started with the following:

Greens(Nitrogen):
- 2 gallons spent coffee
- 10 +/- lawnmower bags of green grass
- 3 gallons food scraps

Browns(carbon):
-16 +/- mulched Bags of leaves(MULCHED is the key word, the previous pile used whole leaves which have less surface area and took longer to breakdown)

Added 20 gallons water at start. Size was +/- 5ft X 5ft X 4ft+ tall

This pile has about a 30:1 Carbon to Nitrogen ratio. The ideal ratio is 25:1-30:1, so I’ll keep adding some more food scraps and coffee over the next few days before I turn it on day 4.

The internal temperature is already 160°F(71°C), likely because I inoculated this pile with a huge scoop of compost from the very center of my other active pile.

Garden update:
Plants are doing well. Dug posts for the gate, which I built over the weekend, but haven’t brought it down yet. Will install chicken wire all around and put up the new solar powered electric fence this week.
BDFE7D82-C41C-4201-BC3E-8EF14F5C314F.jpeg

Finished” 23 day old compost:

View attachment 111652

The turning and burning:
-Let it sit for 4 days
-Completely turned over on day 4, the internal temperature was +/-148°F. Added 15 gallons water
-Completely turned over on day 6 the internal temperature was +/-156°F. Added 20 gallons water. We had some anaerobic smells, so I added 2 more bags worth of leaves.
-Completely turned over on day 8 the internal temperature was +/-160°F. Added 20 gallons water.
-Completely turned over on day 10 the internal temperature was +/-154°F. Added 20 gallons water.
-Completely turned over on day 12 the internal temperature was +/-145°F. Added 15 gallons water. Finally getting nice and damp!
-Completely turned over on day 15 the internal temperature was +/138°F. We’ve had plenty of rain and it’s damp throughout and still super steamy.
- Completely turned over on day 18 the internal temperature was +/130°F. I added 10 gallons of water to the base of the pile, which was the top, it was a bit dry. The center was still hot and steamy.
-Completely turned over on day 20 the internal temperature was +/120°F. Added 10 gallons of water, still had a hot center, but it was noticeably more crumbly. This
-Completely turned over on day 23 the internal temperature was +/105°F. The pile was much more loose and easy to work with a much smaller hot center. At this point I’m going to wet it down and cover it with a tarp to mellow for about a month and let the worms and bugs work it some more before using it to side dress. DONE!

On to the next one!

View attachment 111651

2 day old Hot compost:
I started with the following:

Greens(Nitrogen):
- 2 gallons spent coffee
- 10 +/- lawnmower bags of green grass
- 3 gallons food scraps

Browns(carbon):
-16 +/- mulched Bags of leaves(MULCHED is the key word, the previous pile used whole leaves which have less surface area and took longer to breakdown)

Added 20 gallons water at start. Size was +/- 5ft X 5ft X 4ft+ tall

This pile has about a 30:1 Carbon to Nitrogen ratio. The ideal ratio is 25:1-30:1, so I’ll keep adding some more food scraps and coffee over the next few days before I turn it on day 4.

The internal temperature is already 160°F(71°C), likely because I inoculated this pile with a huge scoop of compost from the very center of my other active pile.

Garden update:
Plants are doing well. Dug posts for the gate, which I built over the weekend, but haven’t brought it down yet. Will install chicken wire all around and put up the new solar powered electric fence this week.
View attachment 111653
looks fantastic

We have a bunch of gardening going on around here. Two small raised beds, one with a mix of radishes, kale, arugula and Brussels sprouts has been going since March. The first crop of radishes is in and either eaten or pickled, and the arugula is a staple in the salads. The other bed is dedicated to scarlet runner beans and we have about 15 plants going right now. They will explode in a riot of leaves and red flowers over the next couple of months. A side benefit is the flowers are hummingbird magnets, so we get dinner and a show.

Matt, hopefully you and Iryna start seeing more of these!

129178781_388220899270664_6941464053479691435_n.jpg

Matt, hopefully you and Iryna start seeing more of these!

129178781_388220899270664_6941464053479691435_n.jpg
Dang! That's a cool image! I sacrificed 2 of my butterfly weed plants to the Monarch butterfly larvae. Luckily we still have some flowers. I have to keep telling myself, I'm growing those plants to feed the butterflies, but dang I want to squish the caterpillars! lol

Right now I'm fighting the cabbage worms on my Brussels sprouts. Thankfully the battle is going well

We haven't had rain here since May, 19th. I finally used up the last of my 550-gallon water reserve this morning and switched to tap water. Hopefully, we can get some rain this week, it's terribly dry!

Yup! Lots of stuff shooting up. Almost all of our pole beans sprouted so now we have some transplanting to do in a week or so, as we put them 3" apart.

Yup! Lots of stuff shooting up. Almost all of our pole beans sprouted so now we have some transplanting to do in a week or so, as we put them 3" apart.
Nice! Our radishes are almost spent and we are about to plant another pole bean set in their place. Post some photos!

Back