The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Gardening Thread

Luecke3262

“I am the Grail Razor Hunter”
Hobbyist
We should have a space for discussing gardening pursuits, photos, ideas, flowers, harvests, and of course spirited banter. I hope everyone who enjoys being outside and working with their hands in the dirt will find this thread entertaining, helpful, and encouraging.

I'll start the thread off with some photos of my gardening project.

Soon to be herb bed:
07A2BC1C-BB3F-4A42-92CD-67FA06FE4CBA.jpeg

Raised bed area:
C4F0A66A-F3F8-4859-B0F6-AC100CE252B8.jpeg

DA8C9965-AF54-4D83-A9CF-93F92BCE4EB2.jpeg

Should start planting a lot this weekend!

I'm so happy to be in the new house with trees and plants. I've already started trimming and pruning. The lemon tree is in full bloom and I've harvested 2 dozen lemons from it so far. Its a Meyer lemon so I should get fruit from march to october. It's a really hardy tree. The almond tree is new to me and I'm hoping to learn more about it in the next few months. Already have several dozen almonds coming in. Just need to learn more about harvesting and pruning. I'm going to get a lime tree.....for adult beverage purposes (gotta have fresh limes for Margaritas and Mai Tais)

The plan is to add some raised beds along the south side of the house and get some vegetables going. That will happen later this year.

And I'm going to replace a few less than steller-growing plants with some jasmine and azaleas (the wife loves both). Not sure how well they'll grow here in the desert but ya gotta try.

We should have a space for discussing gardening pursuits, photos, ideas, flowers, harvests, and of course spirited banter. I hope everyone who enjoys being outside and working with their hands in the dirt will find this thread entertaining, helpful, and encouraging.

I'll start the thread off with some photos of my gardening project.

Soon to be herb bed:
View attachment 109605

Raised bed area:
View attachment 109606

View attachment 109607

Should start planting a lot this weekend!
Excellent looking raised beds.

Excellent looking raised beds.
Thanks Steven, I put a lot of work into them and sourced all the cedarwood locally from a local sawmill which was MUCH cheaper than going to the hardware store. I ended up building 6 - 4X8's, 3 - 3X2's, and one 4X2 strawberry bed. I'm really excited to get them going! Yes, working on them in the fall would have been the way to go for sure! We had a lot to do before we could ever get our garden started. Including removing 2 trees, grinding stumps, grading the ground, filling with rock and mulch, then the arduous process of filling the beds with dirt by hand(too high to just dump the loads in them). I'd do it all again! Good luck with all the citrus, sounds like a good time. Unfortunately I think they'd die here in Missouri!

But you can grow hops.........ours die in about 30 seconds. So no homegrown hops for my homemade beer.
This is a good point! We have a lot of folks out here that do. I may have to do the same, they are really easy to grow and beautiful plants.

Can I rent out a small corner of your future hop farm? lol.
There’s a local brewery which plants hops in bourbon barrels and runs cables from the barrels to their roof , it’s a cool look! I’m vermicomposting on a moderate scale so I can do even more next year and maintain an organic stock of fertilizer. Hops are heavy feeders!

@heysi it's in reference to my correspondence chess title of International Master and my superb desire to achieve nothing but (crying or screaming?) dolphiny BBS shave results and aloof expectations of life in general.

@heysi it's in reference to my correspondence chess title of International Master and my superb desire to achieve nothing but (crying or screaming?) dolphiny BBS shave results and aloof expectations of life in general.
So… International Mastermehknighter?

Sure.....but the Austin Powers reference is just sitting there....waiting to be used.

Back