The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

May.28 ASD2/Astra SP(3) .............. Eagle G2 .................. Cremo stick, mint ............... Clubman milk

Last shave on my last Astra SP. Not sure whether I will switch over to my Injector, which has been neglected for waaaaay too long, or continue with the ASD2. Heck, I have a bucket full of Schick Xtreme-3 carts also waiting to be used.

Life is full of tough choices!

Jun.01 Injector I2/Personna(4) ...... Yaqi Sagrada, synth .. Cremo stick, mint ............... Clubman milk

A rough morning for me and my legs.

Yeah, I know what you are probably thinking, but sorry to disappoint, but you are most likely mistaken.

My wife saw one of the low branches on the plum tree almost touching the ground, so I figured a fat raccoon broke the branch. I am 50% right as it was probably caused by the evil critter, but the damage didn't show an open wound, so I pulled over a patio chair to give me some extra reach into the tree to tie up the branch to the thicker tree core for support.

Alas, when getting down, the chair went our from under me and I think I'm lucky not to have broken my shin as it got jammed hard between the chair arm and seat. Nice and sore, and to boot, the ankle on the other foot ended up with a chunk taken out of it right on the Achilles tendon. gauze, bandage and a few feet of scotch tape to fix it in place should do the trick, even though I will probably not be able to go walking for a day or more.

*Ugh* Such is life. See, I told you raccoons are evil!

Shave was okay though (silver lining*)

Oh no! Canada’s greatest chess national treasure was almost lost to broken hip! Why this guy isn’t being protected by the mounted police is beyond me.

chair went our from under me and I think I'm lucky not to have broken my shin as it got jammed hard between the chair arm and seat. Nice and sore, and to boot, the ankle on the other foot ended up with a chunk taken out of it right on the Achilles tendon.
It’s great that you’re active, Sam, but geez, chairs aren’t ladders, buddy. Broken bones don’t always heal fast for people your age (worse at mine). 💉💊

Edit: What does “GRC” mean?

Last edited:
Jun.02 Injector I2/Personna(5) ...... EJ STF, synth ............ Cremo stick, mint ............... Clubman milk

My wounds from yesterday are coming along nicely. I expected my right shin to be all purple, but it's just red from the chair scrapings. I have not peeled off the bandage from my left foot yet, but will do so later this evening. No leakage or pain overnight from it, so I think all is well.

Laundry is almost done and my shave was ... well, meh.... so as @MilkCrate is wont to say, Life is good!

My wounds from yesterday are coming along nicely. I expected my right shin to be all purple, but it's just red from the chair scrapings. I have not peeled off the bandage from my left foot yet, but will do so later this evening. No leakage or pain overnight from it, so I think all is well.
That’s excellent news, Sam! If there’s any redness, swelling, or drainage, I understand we have an on-call nurse in California that makes house calls.

Is it that raccoons are evil, or ladders are good?

Glad to see you OK, that's just the kind of thing that really freaks me out when it happens.

One of my Orthopaedic surgeon buddies at work told me that his arch nemesis is “the ladder of a middle aged homeowner”.

Hope you are able to heal up quickly and enjoy the summer days

Jun.03 Injector I2/Personna(6) ...... EJ STF, synth ............ Cremo stick, mint ............... Clubman milk

Foot is good ... shave was good ... all is good!
A nice start to the week.

I wasn't going to go get the ladder for something I only needed to be about 1-1.5 feet higher for, especially to try to position it inside all the the branches to be at the trunk. The chair was good enough.

Jun.09 Injector I2/Personna(12) .... Chubby-2, synth ....... Cremo stick, mint ............... Clubman milk

A rain filled Sunday afternoon is providing a good ground soaking for both the veggie garden and the 1/2-dozen or so Rose of Sharons that I transplanted last week. Laundry is also finished, so it looks like a great Sunday from here on out, providing me a few hours to prepare a lesson for Tuesday's meeting of our local chess club.

Back