The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Tom's Journal about Shaving and other good stuff

Cvargo said:
Does you neighbor want to move to Utah?

Well played, Sir!
1f60e.png

Nice catching up, Tom! Good luck with the move. I live in a townhouse but still have to keep the front lawn and backyard easement kept up. I have been using an old amish-built reel mower that weights about 40 pounds, and now SWMBO can't carry it very well, so we are looking into a lighter-weight newer model.

Cvargo said:
Does you neighbor want to move to Utah?
You can't have her. She is also a retired pediatric nurse who likes watching the kids.

Best neighbor ever.

Quijote said:
You can't have her. She is also a retired pediatric nurse who likes watching the kids.

Best neighbor ever.

Are you sure??? Maybe if I talked to her lol.

Cvargo said:
Nice catch up post Tom. Great stuff for sure. Good luck on the move! I DREAD moving!!!

As to the PIF i'll pass, as I own all of that. Great get for someone though!

And lastly the Ask Tom thread should happen. Post it under "other interests" As things grow we will probably create our own Hab area.
yes indeed, an Ask Tom thread would be great. WWTW (what would Tom Wear?). I am far from fashionable (unless you count clean boots, wrangler/Levi dress slacks, pearl button shirts and a modest belt buckle high fashion) but I try. The one thing I did right was figure out what size I am. Years of squeezing into an 18.5” neck when I should have been wearing 20” made the shirt and tie thing more tolerable.

Scott’s still makes a pretty nice reel mower, but there are far less expensive one available. I like that they actually cut the grass rather than kinda shred it like power mowers do. The new ones are much lighter.

I am still alive. Been a bit busy. I am moving and everything is packed up except for my General, Maggards Synth brush, Proraso shaving cream. I miss my other stuff but this set up has been treating me well so far.

Moving is a PITA and the boxes never end. LOL

At least, the weather is looking up.

After everything is psychically moved, I actually enjoy unpacking. Something different and new.

Glad to see you pop back in.

The unpacking is the worst part for me. Trying to find the spot for everything is a nightmare.

I would still push for Allen Edmonds. Best value out there and the quality is great. They are resoleable which is always great so they can last you decades with a resole of the bottom sole every few years. Like I said, look at shoebank.com for the best value. If you have an Allen Edmonds or a Nordstrom near you, get fitted so you know your size. For the longest time, I always thought I had a medium foot but actually I am a wide. LOL Here is an example of the shoe that is timeless (Allen Edmonds Park Avenue):

If you want bigger savings, check out this guy's eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Steves-Name-Brand-Shoes?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
He has brand new, slightly used shoes for cheaper prices than the shoebank. I have got a few from him and have no complaints.

Tom, I would have you know that I bout this same style shoe just recently. I can't afford the Allen Edmonds yet...but I picked up some Cole Haan Shoes at Nordstrom Rack for a killer deal. I get complemented on them every time I wear them to work.

Tom, I would have you know that I bout this same style shoe just recently. I can't afford the Allen Edmonds yet...but I picked up some Cole Haan Shoes at Nordstrom Rack for a killer deal. I get complemented on them every time I wear them to work.

Hey man, you gotta purchase within your means and you are doing it right! You can say the same about shaving gear. Do you need a Paladin brush or will a Razorock suffice just fine? ? As long as you are happy with the purchase.

Update of my life:
Majority of the unpacking is going well. I actually didn't unpack my shaving gear - just the essentials. I also got comments that my stuff took two small boxes worth. LOL I have have to purge more stuff later on. I guess you guys will see some stuff on the BST sooner than later.

Actually had a wonderful shave with the General but Murphy came for a visit. I was flipping the razor to go in a different direction and BAM! The turn was to close to my face and got nicked. Nothing bad, maybe half an inch. It didn't bleed immediately and it gave me a chance to search for my Alum Block. Unfortunately, it was no where in site. Just my luck. As an adhoc solution, I put some talc powder and held a cotton swab on it for awhile til the bleeding stopped after a few minutes. Fun times..... I haven't had something like this happen in quite some time. I guess I am getting rusty...

Back