The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Tom's Journal about Shaving and other good stuff

Well I guess there is no way around it. Tom is going g to have to start a clothing series of articles. And teach tie tieing 101.

Quijote said:
Tom, I have a tie question for you. What is your take on the more unique tie knots? I usually wear more of a spread collar, so my go to is a full windsor. When I am feeling more jovial though, I have been known to tie an Eldredge.

Oh man..... so I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to knots - four in hand and a half Windsor. Full only once in awhile since the knot can be pretty full. Eldredge is out of my comfort zone. To satisfy my sartorial needs, I mean towards mixing patterns and colors and fabrics. It gives me enough choices. A simple bow tie goes a long way as well.

I like to follow the trad, ivy look with a more modern twist but not too much. I throw on more jeans and sneakers with a slimmer fit. And for the more casual look, the untucked shirt works well. Unfortunately, I don't even come close to the dapper folks at Ask Andy About Clothes forum.

The Shaving Cadre would not be complete without our resident Style expert. Glad you have been able to join in.

Dang Tom! You got this! It really doesn't take a ton of bucks to look great if you choose carefully.

So no update in awhile..... Here are some updates shaving and non-shaving related:

1) CB Lindsay's creams are legit. When I got them, I thought the soap melted and got really confused. I am not sure what scent I used but it paired really well with Thayer's Lavender Witch Hazel. Two thumbs up all around and very easy to use.

2) The General with a Kai blade is like having the cheat code to a video game. Left + Right + Left + Right + A +B + A + B + Start = BBS Nirvana without fail. These lead to two things: Great shaves but a bit of repetition so things can get a little boring.

3) I am moving soon and one of the first things to get packed as per SWMBO is my shaving stuff. So now I am left with the following: the general, the Maggard's Synth brush, Muhle shaving cream, Proraso Green shaving cream, along with some random AS laying around (Clubman being one of them). I loaded a new Kai blade since a blade lasts me quite awhile 10+ shaves.

4) Muhle shaving cream - I got this in a bulk buy ages ago and only used it 2x before. I used it this morning and it truly is scent-less if that is something you are looking for. The cream is good and reliable. Took some time to work out the lather but easy to work with.

5) While packing, I realized I have so much soap that I don't know what I am gonna do with them. LOL I am sure most of us are in the same boat.

6) Thinking of doing a PIF - person covers shipping and you get the following: Gillette British Flare Tip TTO DE Razor, B&M Fougure Imperial (vegan formula), 20% of CRSW Bergamot & Bay (I have another full tub and I love it), half tub of Sudsy Soapery Citrus & Bay (I have the larger tub so this would be v1 of it). First person that says I want it, it's yours.

7) The weather has been kindof wild... 5 inches of snow one week, 70 the next, back to 40s...... Wheres my spring????

8) Like previously stated, I am moving so it should be busy the next few weeks.

9) My last major interaction got a lot of positive feedback. So if the MODs want, I am more than happy to start a Ask Tom Anything about Haberdashery related items. I may not have all the answers but can point folks in the right direction. Just don't go too fashion forward for me since I am a bit old school (1960's) with a modern take.

Nice catch up post Tom. Great stuff for sure. Good luck on the move! I DREAD moving!!!

As to the PIF i'll pass, as I own all of that. Great get for someone though!

And lastly the Ask Tom thread should happen. Post it under "other interests" As things grow we will probably create our own Hab area.

Great update Tom! Good luck with the move, it's always a stressful time. I too am going to pass on the PIF, though it's a great one!

You just moving residences or general location as well?

Great read Tom. Hopefully the move goes well and you get settled in quickly.

Good stuff Tom!

I don't envy your moving. Are you just changing houses/apartments or geographical location?

I am going from an apartment to a townhouse - still in NJ. So I get some what of a yard???? but the maintenance is still handled by the Condo Association so no mowing for me. LOL

Nothing to to note here but just a not so springy day in NYC.

Good luck on the move. I recently moved as well, and my den was the first thing I packed, and the last thing I unpacked (still a lot of it in boxes).

Sskim3 said:
CB Lindsay's creams are legit.
Sure are. All my other soaps have been neglected since I got his samples. I'm working my way through all of them.

Sskim3 said:
Wheres my spring????
I've been wondering the same thing. A lot of us have. Crazy weather this year. I've only had 2 nice days to ride my new motorcycle!

Sskim3 said:
Thinking of doing a PIF ...... First person that says I want it, it's yours.
I want it! Haven't tried CRSW, and those scents all sound really nice. Thanks!

Sskim3 said:
I am going from an apartment to a townhouse - still in NJ. So I get some what of a yard???? but the maintenance is still handled by the Condo Association so no mowing for me. LOL

Roger that, Tom! I don't cut grass anymore - I loathe it. I cut so much grass in my youth up through college that I decided that if I ever got to where I could afford to pay someone else to do it, I would.
1f60e.png

It's kind of funny I didn't use to enjoy cutting grass until I was unable to do it, now I would do near anything to get back out on the tractor cutting. Heck! I'd even bail!

I don't mine the act of cutting the grass, but I can't stand how I feel afterwards. Luckily, my neighbor loves mowing and constantly asks if she can cut our grass too. Of course I am a good neighbor and say yes.

Quijote said:
I don't mine the act of cutting the grass, but I can't stand how I feel afterwards. Luckily, my neighbor loves mowing and constantly asks if she can cut our grass too. Of course I am a good neighbor and say yes.

Does you neighbor want to move to Utah?

Back