The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Wild West Show - Jim's Shaving Journal

Enjoy the wedding Jim, and travel safely. I know that drive you have ahead of you, and it is a long one. You might want to consider taking 17N in Fredericksburg to 66W to 81N in Winchester. You can get 15N from 81 just north of Harrisburg. This route takes you across country, but for me it is better than sitting in a parking lot called the 495 beltway. Alternatively, you could go I64 to I81 in VA, but I'm thinking you are going too far west.

Good stuff Jim. And good luck on the beard.

Thanks, Chad! It's well past the insanely itchy stage and doesn't look half bad

Looking forward to the brush pic

Here ya go! Raven Brush Works Goblet style in spalted willow, with a 22mm Timber Wolf knot by Maggards. I call it the Willow Wolf

Good to hear from you Jim!

Thanks, Craig!

Enjoy the wedding Jim, and travel safely. I know that drive you have ahead of you, and it is a long one. You might want to consider taking 17N in Fredericksburg to 66W to 81N in Winchester. You can get 15N from 81 just north of Harrisburg. This route takes you across country, but for me it is better than sitting in a parking lot called the 495 beltway. Alternatively, you could go I64 to I81 in VA, but I'm thinking you are going too far west.

You actually almost nailed the route we usually take. We stay off 95 whenever we go up, always come up the "country roads", lol.

Nice catch-up Jim...have a great time at the wedding!

Thanks, Josh! I just found out it is open bar at the reception so I will take a smaller hit on my wallet, for sure.

Safe travels, Jim!

Thanks. Chris! SWMBO and I are carpooling with her parents, so it should be an easy ride.

Great read and nice brush.

Thanks, Don!

That's a good looking brush Jim!

Hope you enjoyed the wedding.

Thanks, Don! (DEJA VU!) It was a good time, for sure.

I hope the wedding went well Jim.

Thanks, Walt! We had a blast (open bar and all that), and it was a long drive each way. Glad to be home.

I have a couple shaves to recount, and I will need to secure a "before" picture, but with my team's elimination on Sunday the playoff beard has disappeared. I will also be catching up on everyone else's journals over the next few days.

I hate that the Penguins lost to the Capitals. My son's in-laws are all huge Washington fans (especially his father-in-law). In order to keep peace in the family, I have to go with the Capitals. We usually don't have this problem in football with the Steelers being AFC and the Redskins being NFC. But last year was different, and I had to go with the Eagles.

Away Game Shave: “A Message To You“

Brush: Raven Brush Works “Willow Wolf”
Soap: Wild West Shaving Co Irish Brigade
Razor: Doc Holliday – Asylum RX SE (Feather Pro Guard blade)
Fragrance: Wild West Shaving Co Irish Brigade EdP

So, I have some recapping to do. Last Friday we headed up to central PA to attend SWMBO’s cousin’s wedding. We were driving up with her parents, with a 445am wakeup. Of course, I also knew that The Holy Black was releasing Lavender Creeper at midnight on Thursday-into-Friday. I stayed awake, and refreshed their page at the stroke of 0:00:01. I snapped up my purchase, and was asleep by 1215am. I did wake up around 230am and checked the page again, and sure enough they had sold out. Tired drive on Friday, but I was happy to have scored.

Saturday morning I did a neck and cheek shave to keep the beard neat for the wedding that afternoon. WWSC performs awesome, even when I am trying to face lather (which I rarely do), so there were no issues with the shave and the results were great. Irish Brigade EdP had me smelling excellent for the event, and the reception lasted from 430pm until almost 11pm, with an open bar! We also went afterwards to a local bar with her cousins, because one of them was also celebrating a birthday, so we were out until 130am. Hungover sleep-in the next morning, and we didn’t go to meet her parents until 2pm. I got to watch the hockey game that afternoon, but of course my Bruins got eliminated. As a result, I resolved to shave off my beard before the trip back. If there was any doubt about how the Asylum RX can perform, that vanished on this shave. I had a good ¾ inch growth, with about 2 inches in my goatee area. With some judicious face lathering and lots of rinsing, the RX made short work of the whiskers, and I was clean shaven for the first time in six years. SWMBO could stop commenting how “weird” I looked without my facial hair, but it was mostly because it was so different.

Monday we drove home and I found my Holy Black shipment waiting… YAY!

Yesterday as I was leaving work I found a nail in my tire… BOO!

Car is being fixed today, and I am looking forward to relaxing tonight. I may even try out the Lavender Creeper.

Today’s song is the original of a great ska/rocksteady classic:

Dandy Livingstone ~ Rudy, A Message to You

Great read Jim, and I love the effect on the pic. Congrats on snagging the Lavender Creeper. There were groans around the country from those who didn't get on that in time lol.

Excellent read Jim! And I agree...wonderful effects. I absolutely that old school reggae! I know little to nothing about the genre with the exception of a few artists and groups...mostly exposure to the album, "The Harder They Come." And I am wondering why I don't listen to this stuff more. I was exposed to a lot of it when I was stationed in Hawaii, but I was younger then and didn't pay attention to who sang what. Thanks for the share...it's summer here in Louisiana...maybe I will make this summer's theme old school reggae!

Great catch-up Jim!!

Thanks, Josh!

Great read Jim, and I love the effect on the pic. Congrats on snagging the Lavender Creeper. There were groans around the country from those who didn't get on that in time lol.

Thanks, Eric! I use the Artisto app on my phone for this particular look. As for the Creeper, I knew it was going to go quickly. Josh had me snag him some soap (no aftershave shipments to his duty station!) because of the time difference, so next time if anyone else wants in on a release but cannot stay up late I may be the designated shopper, lol.

Excellent read Jim! And I agree...wonderful effects. I absolutely that old school reggae! I know little to nothing about the genre with the exception of a few artists and groups...mostly exposure to the album, "The Harder They Come." And I am wondering why I don't listen to this stuff more. I was exposed to a lot of it when I was stationed in Hawaii, but I was younger then and didn't pay attention to who sang what. Thanks for the share...it's summer here in Louisiana...maybe I will make this summer's theme old school reggae!

Thanks, Don! For some of the best laid-back summer listening, I would recommend the really old stuff from the mid-sixties, before Bob Marley. Older Toots and the Maytals, Dandy Livingstone, Desmond Dekker, etc. It's ofter referred to as rocksteady and first-wave ska, and they are just fun songs, before a lot of the political themes came about. I am always about the music itself, and I actually enjoy playing some of these on guitar. Maybe we can start our own TSC band!

Back