The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Sumo January 2023 Basho Discussion and Contest

Alright we are late enough into the day so no spooler alert. But can we talk about Takayasu? Something is up... He's in his own head and I'm not sure he can recover from it. He looks a step slow. And I think the fall on day one reminded him of last Basho.

ok Question.... the Guys that take the Envelopes from the winner and other gear. Are these guys like "Squires" so to speak?
Um kind of... They are wrestlers. In the Heya depending on your rank you will have lower ranked wrestlers assigned to you. The higher your rank the more errand boys you get. I think Terunofuji has 4 assigned to him.

Um kind of... They are wrestlers. In the Heya depending on your rank you will have lower ranked wrestlers assigned to you. The higher your rank the more errand boys you get. I think Terunofuji has 4 assigned to him.
ok was curious.. Abi looks fierce, I assume Heya is the House?

ok was curious.. Abi looks fierce, I assume Heya is the House?
Yes it is. Also the higher your rank means you get private quarters. Lower your rank you sleep in communal area. They also have a "Sumo mom" assigned that watches over them and does the cooking.

Twirling bow ceremony. They do it at the end of each day
Cool Thanks, I will probably get in to the picking one of these days when I understand more. Right now it is like picking the winning greyhound at the races. If it poops before the race on the paddock that dog gets picked to win... No handicapping LOL

Alright we are late enough into the day so no spooler alert. But can we talk about Takayasu? Something is up... He's in his own head and I'm not sure he can recover from it. He looks a step slow. And I think the fall on day one reminded him of last Basho.
Yeah I think he was in his own head, I think he'll turn it around... Hopefully not too late!

Yeah, being a big 'Yasu fan, I've been sad to see it, but I could tell from that first slap of his belt, that he was looking more himself today, hopefully it continues.

By the way.....

The only Rikishi left with perfect records...

Hōshōryū
Abi
Ōnoshō
Aoiyama
Kotoshōhō

I think Takayasu was affected by watching an assured basho slip from his fingers. It’ll take a couple victories and his confidence will pick up.

What a move by Midorifuji!

Powerful push by Daieisho.

Anyone else surprised by Aoiyama? Losing records from last 3 Bashos, and now this?

Only 3 undefeated Rikishi left! Kotoshoho, Aoiyama, and Abi.

Back