The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Straight razor Journey

Decided to use all my straight razors and shavettes to show what I have.
Razor no. 1 in previous post before this 1.

Razor no. 2 Classic Samurai shavette with perma sharp half blade
PAA ESP soap, splash and star jelly
Smilez4Milez Olivewood and resin handle with Manchurian Silvertip Badger Knot face lathered.
Alum block and Thayer's Witchhazel Rose petal
Clubman talc. Got a hot towel cabinet, do hot towel for each pass with cold towel at the end. 3 passes and a touch-up. Bbs all the way!
20231018_194327.jpg

20231019_170946.jpghot towel from hot towel cabinet all 3 passes
Razor no. 3 Feather DX Kamisori with Feather Proguard blade
Shave Soap and Splash Dread Pirate Robert's
Spacescape Lather Scuttle for hot Lather
Smilez4Milez Olivewood and resin handle with Manchurian Silvertip Badger Knot
Alum block
Thayer's Witchhazel unscented
Pinuad talc

Razor no. 4 Feather DX with pearl handles.
Tried a Feather light blade wich was a no go. Smaller blade with less blade exposure, would shave close enoughto achieve bbs. So switched blade out for a professional (not Proguard) got DSBBS! .
Save soap and splash Mayberry Man
Alum
Witchhazel unscented
Smilez4Milez Olivewood brush handle with Manchurian Silvertip Badger Knot
Phoenix Shaving spacescape lather scuttle for hot lather.
Hot Towel all 4 passes due to original blade not working out for me.
20231021_181226.jpg

Pros work great! It’s a shame for me though that the edge seems to degrade so quickly when using it in an open blade format. Once I hit 7 shaves, it seems pretty rough most times.

How long do you find them to last?

Razor no. 5 1920 Wilkinson Sword Pall Mall with bakelite scales. Same year and model Elvis Presley used before going electric. He also used a DE for a paparazzi picture when In The army.
Soap: Hombre,s Spaghetti Western and splash with Nivea sensitive skin balm
Smilez4Milez Olivewood and resin handle with Manchurian Silvertip Badger Knot and Smilez4Milez soap scooper.
Phoenix Shaving Spacescape Lather scuttle for hot lather.
Shave Nation alum block
Thayer's Witchhazel Rose scented
Razor: 10 passes on pasted strop, 30 on canvas, 60 on leather. Passed hanging hair test.
DSS-BBS all the way. 3 passes and a touch-up
20231029_175650.jpg

Razor no. 6 Boker Edelweiss 5/8 extra hollow ivory scales, great singing from this razor and a great shave, 2 passes for bbs shave.
PAA's Spacescape Lather scuttle
Soap and splash: Tranquility Bay (sorry, accidentally hid name on tub with razor).
Shave Nation alum
Thayers Witchhazel Rose scented,
20231101_184026.jpg

Razor #7 Tedalus Essence with Feather Proguard blade
Loofah Soap Citrus Scent : glycerin base from Dollar Tree . Seen a youtube video from CDin VT using this. Lathers up excellently and is decently slick. Great shave for $1.29
Phoenix Shaving Cyclotrode X 24 mm Synthetic, pretty cool that top half of handle glows on the dark
Shave Nation alum
Phoenix Shaving Mystruim syrum
Rex Supply Co. 1966 Splash
20231121_154005.jpg

Straight razor no. 8 Custom Damascus Straight Razor with copper, paduck, Turquoise and bone handle
Elysian Patchouli and Peach shave soap and splash
Smilez4Milez Olivewood handle with Manchurian Silvertip Badger Knot brush
PAA Spacescape scuttle
2 pass bbs shave.
razor a little heavy in the handle than I'm used to, but definitely a great shave. Was surprised by it softly low singing blade. Didn't think Damascus would sing because of 2 different metals used to create patterns, but I was wrong.
20231202_161744.jpg

Razor no. 9 : Union Cutlery Straight razor from trickster Chinese blade, surprisingly nice little razor. (Probably Gold Dollar blade) shaved better once I removed it.
PAA Tokyo Rose shave soap and star jelly aftershave balm
Yaqi Altantis brush handle with Manchurian Silvertip Badger Knot 24 mm
Shave Nation Lather bowl.
20231213_181401.jpg

Razor no. 10 original Union Cutlery Straight razor ( no Chinese blade) a few blemishes on blade but doesn't effect shave.
HC & C Cowboy up shave soap and splash. Scent is a dupe of Tom Fords Ombre Leather.
PAA Cyclotrode x shave brush.
Face lather off the puck. Great scent and lather.

20231221_165454.jpg

Straight razor no. 12 Theirs Issard 7/8 Spartacus.
Put a good dent in the blade almost a year ago when I banged it on the faucet rinsing it off. Lesson learned. I do like BarberDave and use a sponge now.

Taped up the decorative spine to protect it. Got the damaged edge straightened out and bevel set, now to finish honing it. No shaving with this just yet.
20240101_142135.jpg

Straight razor no 13 1940-1950 Dubl 🦆🦆Duck Special no. 1 Pearlduck, Dubl Duck, Solingen Germany.

Soap: Gentleman's Groom Room Essence of Scotland Highland Bothy. Glycerin base shave soap. Main top notes of smoke and peatmoss middle notes of mixed spice natural honey. Base note of Aberfeldy single malt Whiskey. (What a unique scent, smells almost like burning peatmoss pretty cool. Love strange scents)
20240118_164146.jpg

Back