The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Straight razor Journey

Google Floyd's barbershop, Mt. Airy, NC. Mt. Airy is Andy Griffith's real world childhood hometown, and a few years back, it decided to start portraying themselves as Mayberry. The barbershop Andy went to as a kid is still in business, and has renamed itself Floyd's. I was last in My. Airy 40 years ago, so I have no idea how touristy it's become. The region is worth a visit though.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Stayed in a hotel in Bloomington Illinois for a 3 day convention took this with me to use

Razor: Tedalus Essence with Feather Proguard blade
Phoenix Shaving Atreus 22 mm brush
Mayberry Man Soap and Aftershave splash
unbreakable Shaving Scuttle(not sure where I got it). Shave Nation Soap scooping spoon. Brought a DE with me just in case but, didn't use it for touch ups was able to do it all with the Tedalus Essence.
20230706_205449.jpg

Well back to a real straight razor even though I'm addicted to the Tedalus. Gotta rotate stock sometimes.
Edlelwiess extra hollow grind 5/8
@BarberDave favorite soap if I remember right. Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary Special Edition LXX Settantesimo LXX Beta 4.3 and matching aftershave.
West Coast Shaving 26 mm marble handle brush.
soap lathers pretty easy for a hard soap. Excellent residual sickness, see why Dave likes it. Scent is fabulous too!
20230716_165835.jpg

Razor: Tedalus Essence feather proguard blade
Smilezformilez soap scoop
Declaration grooming Massacre of the innocence shave soap
Shave Nation Lather bowl
Phoenix Shaving Atreus 22 mm brush.
Stetson aftershave
Still using first blade ever put in the Tedalus. I like to get as much life as possible out of every blade I use in all my razors. Maybe I should start counting.
20230723_183022.jpg

Razor: Thiers-Issarrd Galileo Galilei hook nose with snakewood handle
Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary soap and Aftershave
SmilezforMilez Jerusalem Olivewood handle shave brush with badger knot
sponge for wiping shave soap off and wetting blade. Accidentally banged my Spartacus on sink faucet, and have to fix the nick in blade. Not doing that again. Never rinsing off under tap again. Lesson learned the hard way.

20230729_173349.jpg

Razor: Classic Samurai shavette with Phoenix Shaving Stranglet half blade
Taylor of old bond street sample pack Eton College shave soap
Smilez4Milez Jerusalem olive wood badger brush
Phoenix Shaving Mystruim Syrum
Cremo Palo Santo Eau De Toilet cologne.
soaked brush in Shave Nation Lather bowl.
Soap was a soft creme so put in top of brush bristles and face lathered it.
20230807_195312.jpg

Tranquility Bay Shave Soap and Splash. Scent profile from West Coast Shaving Website: Immerse yourself in the custom-blended scent that defines Tranquility Bay. With notes of Vanilla, Cedar, Violet, and Lavender, this fragrance transports you to a tranquil oasis where calmness and serenity prevail. The top notes of Lavender and Violet create a soothing ambiance, while the heart of Cedar adds a grounding element to the experience. Completing the symphony is the Vanilla base note, infusing a subtle sweetness that lingers delicately. To me when you open soap container instantly smells like Johnson and Johnson baby powder, but once you start lathering it the scents in the profile above pop out especially Lavendar and Violet. Yaqi Atlantis 24 mm with Manchurian Badger knot replacement Tedalus Essence Razor Shave Nation Lather bowl

20230826_182805.jpg

Tranquility Bay Shave Soap and Splash. Scent profile from West Coast Shaving Website: Immerse yourself in the custom-blended scent that defines Tranquility Bay. With notes of Vanilla, Cedar, Violet, and Lavender, this fragrance transports you to a tranquil oasis where calmness and serenity prevail. The top notes of Lavender and Violet create a soothing ambiance, while the heart of Cedar adds a grounding element to the experience. Completing the symphony is the Vanilla base note, infusing a subtle sweetness that lingers delicately. To me when you open soap container instantly smells like Johnson and Johnson baby powder, but once you start lathering it the scents in the profile above pop out especially Lavendar and Violet. Yaqi Atlantis 24 mm with Manchurian Badger knot replacement Tedalus Essence Razor Shave Nation Lather bowl

View attachment 117979
That's not the Tedalus in picture, switched to Tedalus because I discovered this 1920 Wilkinson sword Pall Mall wasn't shave ready out of box . Same year and model of straight razor Elvis presley used before switching to a Remington 60 Deluxe electric. Have to get it honed

Some nice razors you got there. Makes me want to make time to use some of my own. Been pretty busy lately and have moved them off to the side as I haven't had time to hone them.
And I saw disk golf in there too ... haven't played that in years. I really need to find a course near here to get back into another hobby I won't have time for. :LOL:

I'm blaming you........

Last night after a quick Google peek I talked to the wife. This morning I ordered a 5 disk Innova set for myself, a 5 disk divergent beginner set for the wife, a 6 disk cheaper set for the boy (who isn't going to pay attention much and try to just throw hard and lose some), and 3 bags....

Your fault.... :p

After playing with some of the vintage razors I bought and a few modern ones, back to the Tedalus Essence Razor with a feather Proguard. A little out of practice, so was adding a little pressure I didn't need at first. Then lighten up to almost no pressure to get a bbs shave in 2 pass and a touch-up. A little stinging from the alum block were I was using pressure, no nicks cuts or weepers.

brush from Smilez4Milez, recommend going to his store on etsy, he's retired from making his brushes. Brush handles and soap scoops. Might want to get something before their all gone.
Shave Nation Lather bowl. Sterling soaps Piacenza and splash
20230909_152437.jpg

Galileo Galilei 7/8 hook nose with snakewood handle
Shave Supply Black Rock soap and splash
Yagi Atlantis 24 mm brush with 24 mm Manchurian Badger knot replacement
Shave Nation Lather bowl.
3 passes with straight follow with a 4 pass with Gillette 195 adjustable for touchup(got nothing , no need but still injoyed it) Dolphin skin smooth baby bottom smooth Shave. Nothing beats the efficiency of a straight, even the Tedalus Essence can't beat this. Dislocated my right shoulder. So have been having to Shave totally with my left hand(offhand) @BarberDave straight razor tutorials definitely helped make it easier. Since it teaches how to Shave with both hands and crosshand technique makes it easier due to muscle memory. Thanks Dave
20230917_194838.jpg

Razor: Wilbert Cutlery Co Chicago (Sears and Roebuck brand name)
Tranquility Bay soap and splash
Shave Nation Lather bowl
Smilez4Milez Olivewood and resin Brush handle with a 24 mm Manchurian Silvertip Badger Knot
Smilez4Milez soap scooper.
Love the Lavender, Violet and vanilla scent notes. Very calming relaxing scent in this soap and splash. Still reminds me of original scent formula of Johnson and Johnson baby powder.
20231002_183221.jpg

Just realized, I've been using a straight razor mixed in with DE razors gor about a year now. Actually get fewer nicks and weepers with the straight because I tend to press and hurry with my DE razors due to overconfidence. Always cautious with my straight razor.

Back