The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Straight razor Journey

BrisketGuy

Shave Member
I've been doing BarberDaves straight razor tutorials. But accelerated, as confidence is building. No longer starting with safety razor and using cross-hand technique. Using Leaf unscented shave soap. Atreus 22 mm brush. Nivea sensitive shave balm lowest scent I have. Thiers-Issard Spartacus 6/8 hook one straight razor. Also for Shve for Bruce shave. Prayers for a speedy Recovery

Welcome to the Journals! They're a big part of what makes this place special!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Continuing my Barber Dave tutorial shaves.
Dovo 5/8 round nose tortoise scales, no cross-hand technique this time around. Mitchell's Woolfat and atreuas 22 mm brush. Yates precision meduim plate open comb for touch-up. Nicked myself pretty good on second pass, ouch
20230405_185931.jpg

Straight razor: Edelweiss 5/8 extra hollow
Phoenix Shaving ESP shave soap, Starjelly Aftershave balm, and Aftershave
Thayer rose petal Witchhazel
Alum
Phoenix Shaving Atreus 22 mm synthetic brush
Shave Nation Lather bowl
No attempt at fools pass this time, need more practice. Eventually get there😉👍
20230604_184539.jpg

I do not SR shave, and part of the reason is this nickname. I once read, I think elsewhere, a shaving forum post by a man who had to go to the ER. IIRC, a plastic surgeon made the repair. No thank you, sir!
Yes and the main nickname also is "the cutthroat razor. It either gets your nose or your throat if not careful or reckless. I'm injoying the challenge of learning to straight razor shave. Love challenges!

Union Cutlery Straight razor
Phoenix Shaving Atreus 22 mm brush vintage style shave scuttle
Leaf unscented shave soap
Zingari Man The Master Recovery Splash
Alum
Thayers Witchhazel Rose Petal.
Finally starting to trust my muscle memory more and just go for it. Not getting anxious and switching back to DE . 3rd straight razor style shave all the way through with no nicks, cuts. No DE switching. Still some pretty good zinging from alum on chin area and by Adam's apple. But all in all a great shave. Almost bbs
20230607_185508.jpg

4th straight razor style shave in a row with no nicks or cuts. By Job I think I got it!😉👍😎. But never get to confident or it might just bite you!🤔.
Have mainly Phoenix Shaving soaps balms and aftershaves. Love their stuff.

Soap and Starjelly Aftershave balm: Tokyo Rose
Razor: Feather DX with Feather Proguard blade.
Shave Nation Lather bowl
Parker 22 mm Silvertip Badger brush Fauxhorn handle.
no alum block, just Thayers Witchhazel Rose Petal. Finally nailed bbs.
20230609_174429.jpg

First use of that brush. Definitely like it. Only other badger brush I had was a cheapo Amazon 1 that came with a stand and bowl. Couldn't stand it, was scratchy like using sandpaper. Never buying anything like that again. Been using synthetic since then, but. Though I'd try a badger again. Definitely recommend this 1. Handle is heavy, but nice feel

5 th time in a row straight razor shave, no nicks or cuts.😎
Soap: named after the coffee espresso drink, where you pull your espresso shot over a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Pretty much smells just like it. Hoffman's Affagato.
Razor: Dovo Special 5/8 tortoise scales full hollow
Parker 22 mm Silver tip Badger
Shave Nation Lather bowl
Stetson aftershave
20230611_184409.jpg

Back