The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Stirred UP

Was this on a road trip with your kids in the back saying, "are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet..."
What Chad? I wasn't listening.

You know what stirs me up? People who are always stirred up about something. And that would include me. So I guess I'm pissed off at myself all the time because I'm always stirred up. I like my martinis shaken, not stirred.

Was this on a road trip with your kids in the back saying, "are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet..."
My response is usually... “Have we stopped yet?”

That quick hair cut places seem to have turned to mostly appointments. So when you walk in now the waits are an hour

I hate to say it ....AGAIN! but Paper straws strike again. I got my wife a 24oz slushie to which she added a healthy pour of vodka and settled into a lounge chair next to the poo at the KOA. She was pretty thirsty and it was pretty hot so she didn't waste too much time drinking the slushie, maybe 15 minutes. In the course of drinking her slushie THREE paper straws gave their lives, breaking in half as she drank her drink. After the third straw unraveled she gave up and handed me the remaining portion to drink from the cup as i took the cup to the trash along with the 3 paper straw carcases.

All I gotta say is THANK GOD the Bao Bun place gave me a HUGE plastic straw to drink my tea. I put that monster straw in my pocket and carried it with me the rest of the weekend. If someone near me suddenly found themselves suffering from a collapsed lung (perhaps from attempting to suck through a collapsed paper straw?) I would have had a wonderful straw to jam into their chest wall to re-inflate their lung.

I hate to say it ....AGAIN! but Paper straws strike again. I got my wife a 24oz slushie to which she added a healthy pour of vodka and settled into a lounge chair next to the poo at the KOA. She was pretty thirsty and it was pretty hot so she didn't waste too much time drinking the slushie, maybe 15 minutes. In the course of drinking her slushie THREE paper straws gave their lives, breaking in half as she drank her drink. After the third straw unraveled she gave up and handed me the remaining portion to drink from the cup as i took the cup to the trash along with the 3 paper straw carcases.

All I gotta say is THANK GOD the Bao Bun place gave me a HUGE plastic straw to drink my tea. I put that monster straw in my pocket and carried it with me the rest of the weekend. If someone near me suddenly found themselves suffering from a collapsed lung (perhaps from attempting to suck through a collapsed paper straw?) I would have had a wonderful straw to jam into their chest wall to re-inflate their lung.
I actually have more than once meant to mail you a box of plastic straws 😂

I actually have more than once meant to mail you a box of plastic straws 😂
My wife and kids are all too aware of how i feel about paper straws. My wife has plastic straws stashed in her purse so I don't come unglued at the wrong times. California has also implemented a law that requires food establishments to hide the straws from patrons and only give them to those who ask. Would you believe Costco has taken the straws away and unless you remember to ask for a straw when you are getting your hot dog you won't get one. Oh sure, you get a top for the cup but good luck sucking your drink outta that little hole on top. I swear I will have a stroke if I am forced to ask for a straw and am handed a paper straw.

My wife and kids are all too aware of how i feel about paper straws. My wife has plastic straws stashed in her purse so I don't come unglued at the wrong times. California has also implemented a law that requires food establishments to hide the straws from patrons and only give them to those who ask. Would you believe Costco has taken the straws away and unless you remember to ask for a straw when you are getting your hot dog you won't get one. Oh sure, you get a top for the cup but good luck sucking your drink outta that little hole on top. I swear I will have a stroke if I am forced to ask for a straw and am handed a paper straw.
I get it but we'll need you to sit and take deep breaths while counting slowly to 100 @NurseDave @bentheduck Cadre member in Crisis Stat

Plastic lid okay... plastic straw bad? World is backwards

So what your saying is the TSC metal straw is soon to be added to the swag list?

I get it but we'll need you to sit and take deep breaths while counting slowly to 100 @NurseDave @bentheduck Cadre member in Crisis Stat
Unlike my wife, I don't mind drinking from a glass without a straw so I the chances of me having a stroke at a restaurant are much lower. It's the "to-go" setting that i am in jeopardy. I have come to dislike Starbucks for many reasons but i have to give them credit for a move they are making. They have started to move toward sippy cup like tops for many of their cold/iced drinks so straws aren't needed. By doing that they eliminate the potential for paper straw failure AND probably improve the product experience (i suspect it will taste better when consumed via sip vs suck). Of course the frape drink with whipped topping is another thing, a sippy top wont work there.

Paper bags...plastic straws!

I get the to-go thing and if you need to sip in your car, but I don't understand folks that still insist on a straw in a restaurant when they don't use them at home. What's the difference??

I get the to-go thing and if you need to sip in your car, but I don't understand folks that still insist on a straw in a restaurant when they don't use them at home. What's the difference??
Yeah, I don't use a straw at home but my wife does. And even though we have access to all the straws we want while at home she (and the kids) all rinse the straws and reuse them many times before they get tossed. Heck, I don't use a standard cup/glass at home. I am ok with a mason jar, a can, a solo cup, a jug what ever.

and yeah, plastic straw stories are pretty triggering

Back