The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Steve's Video Spot

You should be able to adjust both the picture color and precisely clip the video in the program. I’ll see if I can make a reference for you tomorrow.

Are you on a Mac?

Well you guys asked for it (I know at least one of you did lol) so here it is. My first attempt at using a shavette. I kind of like the term barber straight better. Does anyone call them that anymore? Anyway, only one pass and only above the jawline per Doug’s advice. Also, no sound as the wife is really not feeling well and was sleeping. So I put some tunes behind it instead. Ok, so bring on the tips guys because I have no idea what I’m doing ???

https://youtu.be/A2ee2cvugH8

I wasn’t prepared for such an intimate shave with The Three Named Man...
1f602.png

Really solid first go Steve! Didn’t look like your first time at all! I’d say you have the basics down fairly well.

Learning to be ambidextrous in my shaves really helped me be more comfortable and overcome a lot of hesitation, especially with open blades. It helps to not have to contort so much as when one handed. That is a personal preference more than anything. You seemed to do fine.

My only really piece of advice (other than keep up the practice and experimenting with strokes) is to try to not go over the same spot so many times. As I say this I fully realize that I fall into this pit myself at times. Some spots you looked to go over 5+ strokes, that’s a lot.

How did it feel to you? Was it comfortable? Smooth? Did you get Ok results?

I wasn’t prepared for such an intimate shave with The Three Named Man...
1f602.png

Really solid first go Steve! Didn’t look like your first time at all! I’d say you have the basics down fairly well.

Learning to be ambidextrous in my shaves really helped me be more comfortable and overcome a lot of hesitation, especially with open blades. It helps to not have to contort so much as when one handed. That is a personal preference more than anything. You seemed to do fine.

My only really piece of advice (other than keep up the practice and experimenting with strokes) is to try to not go over the same spot so many times. As I say this I fully realize that I fall into this pit myself at times. Some spots you looked to go over 5+ strokes, that’s a lot.

How did it feel to you? Was it comfortable? Smooth? Did you get Ok results?

Haha I wasn’t expecting it either Chris. But I couldn't resist the urge to try it out!

I only did the one pass that was recorded, but afterwards it felt about as close as a single DE pass would feel. As for going over the same areas multiple times, that’s a constant struggle for me lol. But I didn't seem to get any negative effects from it. The shave was comfortable but also felt awkward since I don’t really know what I’m doing.

Nicely done Steve! Once you master using a Shavette, you can pretty much shave with anything. They can be somewhat less than forgiving. In my day, when I heard “shavette” this is what came to mind.

Nicely done Steve! Once you master using a Shavette, you can pretty much shave with anything. They can be somewhat less than forgiving. In my day, when I heard “shavette” this is what came to mind.

???

Thanks Rich, I think barber straight sounds so much better! Haha!

Nice job Steve. Biggest advice I can can give as a primarily SR user is what Chris said. Learn to use both hands. The angles are way easier to get. Just take a deep breath and shave. If you want to get a feel first try it without a blade but it was a huge aha moment for me with straights

Dude! You did WAY better than I ever did with a traditional straight or a barber straight (and yes...I prefer barber straight over shavette too!). Love the music with the with the black and white! I thought I was watching a movie at one point!
1f60b.png

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for posting man! My only advice would be to time the shave with the crescendo in the music. You know. For dramatic effect.

SteveChuckFrank said:
My first attempt at using a shavette. I kind of like the term barber straight better. Does anyone call them that anymore?

Sorry for the late reply. I'm still trying to catch up on the forum. When I was at b9and b, I spent a great deal of time discussing the terminology of those and polling folks to see what to best call them. The term Shavette is the actual name of the Dovo branded razor. So, it's really the only official name we have for them. But then again, calling everything a shavette is like calling every facial tissue a "Kleenex" or every cotton swab a "Q-Tip"..... we do it, but it's not exactly right. The general agreed upon term we came up with was Barber Razor. Barber Straight doesn't truely fit, because in some states barbers can still use actual Straight Razors. So the group I came up with over there was SABRE, the Shavette and Barber Razor Enthusiasts. I posted lots of info about the different types of Shavettes (still my preferred term), and the different blade options for each. One of these days I'll get around to posting that info here. Technically speaking... Replaceable Blade Barber Razor, or Replaceable Blade Barber Straight would be the most correct, but are a bit wordy. And we like to be more succinct don't we?

Well I just learned something new. Thanks KJ! I had no idea shavette was not a general term, but the name of a specific razor. I’ll have to go over to the other place and try to find the thread you’re referring to. Sounds like some pretty cool info.

good video and good luck on the other bathroom! Also good to see Willie and Ozzy

Hey I paused you when you paused us. We'll see who blinks first ??? Chuckled when you had trouble describing it because I've been there. Looking forward to the guest appearance of I'm guessing Willie.......ok, I blinked back to the video

4 passes? The man with skin as smooth as silk and tough as leather. Good to see the guest star!

Back