The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Steve's Journal: The Saga Continues....

YES, Join the Dark Side!

iu
I’m getting there lol. Now I just need to get my stropping skills up to par. I tend to take my time there so I dont shred my strop or ruin the edge on the razor. I’m definitely not at @BarberDave speed yet!

First thing I practiced religiously, before ever putting an open edge to my face, was to learn to use my left hand. I shaved with my DE's, until I felt comfortable shaving the left side of my face with my left hand. Stropping practice is also well-advised. I was literally pivoting my straight on the EDGE. How stupid was I???
Also, I ignored the advice about starting off with a cheap strop, because you WILL cut your first one up. I did too.
Anyway, it's 4 years+ later and I have since become quite adept at straight shaving. You will too. Good luck.

First thing I practiced religiously, before ever putting an open edge to my face, was to learn to use my left hand. I shaved with my DE's, until I felt comfortable shaving the left side of my face with my left hand. Stropping practice is also well-advised. I was literally pivoting my straight on the EDGE. How stupid was I???
Also, I ignored the advice about starting off with a cheap strop, because you WILL cut your first one up. I did too.
Anyway, it's 4 years+ later and I have since become quite adept at straight shaving. You will too. Good luck.
When I started out with SR’s I ran through @BarberDave s video tutorials. He emphasized the 2 hand technique as well and I’m pretty comfortable in that respect. Certain angles on the S to N pass are still a little weird for me, but for the most part I’m pretty good with it. I also started out with a strop that @MilkCrate generously sent my way. By going slow and taking my time I’ve been lucky enough to not have destroyed that completely lol! I also took the plunge and grabbed myself a Tony Miller plain vanilla, which is also still intact. I’m just working up the speed at this point.

Things have been hectic in my neck of the woods, but I’m still here and still shaving! Losing 2 weeks of vacation due to some unforeseen and very unfortunate events.

I’ve been sticking with the tried and true NDC Super Speed for the last week or so. Even got in a few work travel shaves with it. I’ve also been sticking with the Proraso Single Blade Wood & Spice. Proraso always delivers for me, and I think it always gets lost in the shuffle because it’s a cream not a soap. The scent on this stuff is awesome, I need to find an AS to match it. Definitely a great cold weather scent.

I’ll be spending the next few days playing catch up on everyone else’s journals, and patiently waiting for the next bingo to start lol.

Not. Cool.

That’s a bummer about the vaca.
Well the company decided to offer a payout for up to 40 hours of lost PTO due to staffing issues this year. And then my boss said we’ll just work the other 40 out next year between us. So I’ll still get compensated for some and roll over some, just bummed that I’m at work this week when I should be lounging on the couch with Willie!

Shave Time!

Razor:
Razorock GC .84p
Blade: Derby Premium
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Hipster
AS: Stirling Hipster

Been a while since my last update, but I assure you I am still shaving! I've just kind of been going through the motions since I've been so busy with work and the holidays, so I've been sticking with the same set up for a few days at a time. I switched things up to the Stirling Hipster set this morning, and after the shave was over I realized I could have gone almost 100% Stirling if I had broken out the Stirling DE3P6. Oh well, maybe tomorrow if I remember....

In Other News...
Work is driving me crazy as usual. Short handed for the foreseeable future as we have one CSR out with a death in the family, and an open position that no one wants to apply for. The people that are applying are asking for double (if not more) what the position pays. I'm not sure if there's confusion on the applicant's end as far as the position they're applying for, or if they're just applying for anything to continue to collect unemployment. Apparently that's a tactic these days.
To keep myself sane I've been going full Griswold at the house and the office. So far at home, all of the exterior lights and decorations are up, the interior decorations are up and all that's left is to decorate the tree. We don't do exterior lights at work, but the tree is up and I found some extra strands of lights that I strung up inside. Sometimes it's the little things that get you through lol.

Willie World:
Willie has had a few days of extra spoiling! My step son came home from Penn State for Thanksgiving break early last week and went back today. So he was around to spoil Willie with couch time and extra snacks throughout the day. Then there was Thanksgiving at the in-laws where he probably ate half a turkey! This weekend we were back at the in-laws on Saturday and Sunday so my step son could watch the Penn State/Michigan State game (disappointing!) and the Eagles/Giants game (even more disappointing) with his pop pop. So Willie will be going on a diet!

Sorry to hear about the woes at work, feels like that's a common sentiment shared by many right now. Keep waiting for the labor market to normalize and ignore the "doom and gloom" predictions of impending economic meltdown, so I too am using the holiday decorations to get through!

Then there was Thanksgiving at the in-laws where he probably ate half a turkey! This weekend we were back at the in-laws on Saturday and Sunday so my step son could watch the Penn State/Michigan State game (disappointing!) and the Eagles/Giants game (even more disappointing) with his pop pop.
And not a single mention of that fine man's liquor situation for the weekend.

Strong holiday R&R game there Steve!

Now back to work!
View attachment 68568
I literally just had this conversation with my boss 5 minutes ago. It appears I am being tasked with picking up the slack for the other managers in the area that have begun using our overflow lot in Philly. Of course it's the week that my branch will actually no longer have any vehicles there. Just when I thought I was out...

And not a single mention of that fine man's liquor situation for the weekend.
Apologies sir. If I remember correctly:

Thursday: Whiskey Sours made with Bullitt Rye, a few beers, Irish coffee made with Jameson
Saturday: More than a few beers lol, Gentleman Jack
Sunday: A few beers, no liquor because we were too angry at the Eagles for losing to the stinking NY Giants!

Back