The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Steve's Journal: The Saga Continues....

SteveChuckFrank

Close Enough*
My journal initally started somewhere else....I'm not sure if I can link to that place so I'll leave that out, and just say that I've been at it for about 4 months now. I'm still very much learning the ropes of DE shaving, a lot of trial and error, a little bit of video watching, a lot of asking for advice, ignoring that advice, then taking that advice, and then taking all of that and throwing it in a blender to see what comes out!

So here's tonight's shave...

Tonight's shave....

Pre Shave:

Hot shower, shampoo beard area

Shave:

RazoRock Tech II loaded with a Feather Hi-Stainless blade, Razorock Mudder Focker soap, Kingsley pure badger

1 W/XTG, 1W/XTG (opposite direction), 1 A/XTG, 1 A/XTG (opposite direction)

Post Shave:

Cold rinse, alum, cold rinse, witch hazel, Stirling Sharp Dressed Man AS

Tonight's shave is one of the closest I've had when shaving consecutive days in a row. BBS above the jaw line, DFS below. 2 weepers that stopped bleeding after applying the alum, very little irritation otherwise.

I've adapted the 4 pass shave that I have been using (1 WTG, 2 XTG in opposite directions, 1 ATG) to the following passes:

1 combo of a WTG/XTG. Above the jaw line everything is pretty much N-S for a WTG pass. So here I go from outside to inside on a downward path. From ear to chin is a good way to describe it. Below the jaw line things get a bit trickier, but you get the idea.

1 combo the same but in the opposite direction. So from inside to outside, downward path. From nose to the corner of the jaw.

1 combo of ATG/XTG. Outside to inside again, but on an upward path. From S-N above the jawline. Corner of the jaw to the nose.

1 combo of the same but opposite direction. Chin to sideburn.

This seems to work just a bit better than the original 4 pass I had been doing. I thought it might be more efficient. It could very well all be in my head though haha! Either way it seemed to work tonight so I'll stick with it and see what happens.

I must also say that I am enjoying the sharper end of the blade spectrum (from what I've tried so far). The Feathers and Kai's have really seemed to agree with me more than any other blade. It could also be that my technique is improving as well. I'll have to try to go back to a Shark or a Derby and see what happens.

Welcome to the TSC Journal section Steve!

Nice shave, picture, and read!

SteveChuckFrank said:
I must also say that I am enjoying the sharper end of the blade spectrum (from what I've tried so far). The Feathers and Kai's have really seemed to agree with me more than any other blade. It could also be that my technique is improving as well.

I'd say it's a combination of both sharper blades and better technique.

I’ve found there’s a difference between a more aggressive razor and a sharper one. Give me as sharp as possible!

clyde72 said:
Welcome to the TSC Journal section Steve!

Nice shave, picture, and read!
clyde72 said:
I must also say that I am enjoying the sharper end of the blade spectrum (from what I've tried so far). The Feathers and Kai's have really seemed to agree with me more than any other blade. It could also be that my technique is improving as well.

Thanks Craig!
NurseDave said:
I’ve found there’s a difference between a more aggressive razor and a sharper one. Give me as sharp as possible!

I'm beginning to agree with this. Although I'm not sure I have an aggressive razor to test this theory out...might be time to acquire one haha!

Well done Steve and good call, no links to the "others" LOL Nice read and photo as well

Great shave. Welcome to the rabbit hole. And I would say, yes will need an aggressive razor to try out and see if you like it. That being said my go to DE is a post war tech with a nice sharp blade, but I also have an old type for those days I need a lot cut. It is seeing less action now that I have my GEMs and straights though.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Xenostr8shaver said:
Well done Steve and good call, no links to the "others" LOL Nice read and photo as well

If you want a really good laugh, I'm sure you could find the original journal if you try. My first few attempts were scary due to an equipment malfunction!

Quijote said:
Great shave. Welcome to the rabbit hole. And I would say, yes will need an aggressive razor to try out and see if you like it. That being said my go to DE is a post war tech with a nice sharp blade, but I also have an old type for those days I need a lot cut. It is seeing less action now that I have my GEMs and straights though.

I have a Fatip Grande, but it's a second generation. From what I understand the originals were very aggressive, but the current version is a much milder design. I'm not sure how true that is. I have come to really like that razor though.

Mudder Focker is such an intriguing scent. I really enjoy it.

Welcome to journaling Steve! For me this is the heart of the site, but there is a ton and will be tons more stuff to keep you amused for hours at a stretch!

Journal Entry #2

Pre Shave:

Hot shower, shampoo'd beard

Shave:

Gillette Fatboy, Crystal blade, Razorock Santal Royale, Kingsley pure badger, 3 Passes 1 W/XTG, 1 W/XTG (oppostite direction), 1 A/XTG

Post Shave:

Cold water rinse, styptic, cold water rinse, alum, cold water rinse, witch hazel, Stirling Spice AS

Tonight was not a fun shave. A lot of irritation, a lot of red sticky stuff on the outside. I didn't even finish my last pass. I was getting a little frustrated and decided it was better to just stop for the night and come back to it tomorrow.

The closeness of the shave is not bad though, a strong DFS only 20 minutes out. Generally my skin takes about an hour or so to calm down, so I expect this to be a pretty decent one with respect to the closeness of the shave.

The irritation and blood loss however, were not worth that. 20 minutes later and I am still getting a slight tingle from the AS. Nothing ridiculous, but it's still reminding me that I did something wrong tonight. I'm not sure if it was technique or if maybe it's time to take a look at the Fatboy and make sure everything is working properly. I'm sure it's really just my technique though.

I'm also starting to think I need to stop switching my hardware up so much. I've seemed to get some really good shaves with my Stirling razor (thanks little sister!) so I think I'll stick with that and maybe the Fatip for now. Mostly the Stirling though.

Bummer about the sub par shave!

SteveChuckFrank said:
I'm also starting to think I need to stop switching my hardware up so much.

Steve, If you are just starting out as a New DE Shaver, then YES BY ALL MEANS, pick one setup and use it until you are getting consistent results. Then change only 1 thing at a time. Don't change razor or blade, and/or soap/cream all at once. If you get a bad shave was it the razor? the blade? the razor and blade combination? the soap? You see what I mean. I've been at this about 2½ years now and I rarely inject more that one new element into a shave at a time.

clyde72 said:
Bummer about the sub par shave!
clyde72 said:
Steve, If you are just starting out as a New DE Shaver, then YES BY ALL MEANS, pick one setup and use it until you are getting consistent results. Then change only 1 thing at a time. Don't change razor or blade, and/or soap/cream all at once. If you get a bad shave was it the razor? the blade? the razor and blade combination? the soap? You see what I mean. I've been at this almost 3 years now and I rarely inject more that one new element into a shave at a time.

I've only been DE shaving for about 4 months now. And I would say things didn't really start to click until about 4-5 weeks ago. So I'd definitely consider myself new haha!

I was sticking to the one change at a time rule, this week I kind of went nuts! I'll have to start fighting the urge to shake everything up at the same time.

Sometimes I get excited and a little carried away ?

Back