The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Sharp’s Tales: There Will Be Blood

Ouch, bummer. I have never used a Nacet, but I'll take your word for it. Good luck with the Sputnik comrade.

I don’t think it is the fault of the blade. Just the difficult terroir of my face and how this blade can handle it. The first shave was extremely comfortable just not efficient for me. That just forced me to see how far I could push the Nacet. I am wondering to see if I wait for two days growth and a fourth shave. That said, I think my beard got the best of this blade.

Bummer Sharp. Hope you heal up quickly. Maybe it was the time of night in combo with the blade?

Shave # 18, (1+days)

Razor: Blackbird SB
Blade: Sputnik (1)
Brush: Wiborg 2 Band
Soap: Wholly Kaw- Jamestown Gentlemen
Alum
AS: L'Occitan After Shave Balm

You folks asked for it you will get it.. A Sharp's Production is in post production and you all should have it shortly. It won't be good but hopefully a laugh.

I am a bit under the weather so took it easy today.

I stubbled upon the Sputnik with trying to pick up a tuck of Zorriks for Chad's Bad Blade series. Amongst all these hundreds of blades I see a lone pack of these Sputnik for $1.49
WTF are these I thought to myself. They aught to suck. Let me send them to Chad.

Well he gave them an excellent review... So I had to try.. You know something. He was right!!!

Two Pass shave with this kick butt blade and this amazing soap. Small clean up. Now I gave myself a small weeper and a nice gash across the chin. But that was all me and not the fault of the blade... I was more worried about making video that might be the slightest bit interesting and entertaining than actually putting up a quality shave. Plus shaving into the phone is impossible. Left the water running the whole first pass. Hahah .. started sweating.. Great joy.

I walked away with finding a new favorite blade, and amazing new soap and one nice shave. Plus I had fun making the video. Please let me
know how better it can be improved.

Have a great day Cadre.

My first Volg.. Very small amount of editing .. what you see is what you get on this one.
Hope you get a laugh and enjoy it.

I need to re-visit the Sputnik blade. I know that I tried one a while back, but don't remember anything in particular about it. It must have been serviceable at least. And based on yall's recent reviews, I'll have to check it out again.

Hope you start to feel better soon.

Dec Shave # 1 (1 days)

Blade: Gillette Nacet (4)
Soap: Wholly Kaw Jamestown Gentleman
AS: Theyer’s Medicated Witch Hazel

Back to the Nacet. In the past I don’t think it was 100% the blades fault and tonight proved it. Great relaxed 2 pass shave with clean up. DFS but very comfortable. Tried face lathering with the Wholly Cow and did not use enough water. The lather dried up on me by he end of the first pass. I made up for it on pass 2 and .5.

Month End report.
18 shaves.

I didn’t stick with my original plan to use only one soap, razor, brush and blade like I started. But for 85% of the month I stuck with the Blackbird, M&F Polo Brush and Strop Shoppe Black Tie.
Blades Used: Bolzano, Personna Red, Feather, PolSilver IR, Gillette Nacet and Sputnik’s. Still need to test Kia and Zorriks. The Zorriks only because I promised Chad anything I sent him for his bad blade series I would use too.

The Blackbird SB. This razor is pretty efficient and can get BBS pretty consistently in 3 passes and depending on the blade that is in there. But most comfortable with 2 passes and some clean ups. It is best with two days growth though can be used as daily driver. The one issue that bothered me the most is that this razor can trap soap in the gap and on the blade when the soap is thinker with less water. Sometimes I would have to remove the handle and head to clean the blade off. I wonder if this lead me to use more pressure at times adding to the irritation. I do prefer my OC version of this razor.

M&F Polo Finest 2 Band 27mm. Love this brush. Was best at face lathering but handled bowl lathering as well. Great dense know that does not shed.

Strop Shoppe Black Tie.
Great Tallow based soap that can whip up a great old school lather. I just wish the Black Tie scent was a little stronger.

Razor report. So Bolzano is out. It worked great with my Traderes but since I sold those razors I have no need for these anymore. They were average at best. I PIFed 12 tucks to a friend of mine who loves them.

For the Blackbird Feathers gave me the Closest shave but Polsilvers gave me the best combination of closeness and comfort. Well that was until I tried the Sputnik’s. I can’t explain but that unknown inexpensive razor gave an amazingly close shave and I don’t think I ever shaved with a blade more comfortable. I just purchased a 100 pack for $13 including shipping.

Let me just say these results worked for me. YMMV

Sharps out.

Great recap Jimmy! This was a good idea, summing up the month. I think it’ll help later.

Nice recap Jim. I too hate a razor that collects junk during the shave that won't rinse out. That's why I love the Timeless OC and the Rockwell 6s which rinse clean easily without disassembly. Nice thoughts on everything.

Nice analysis of your shaves! I think you have learned a good bit this month...or so it seems. I actually really liked Sputnik blades but haven't used them in quite some time!

Nice recap Jim. I too hate a razor that collects junk during the shave that won't rinse out. That's why I love the Timeless OC and the Rockwell 6s which rinse clean easily without disassembly. Nice thoughts on everything.

Thanks Dave. It was because of the build up that I started bowl lathering again to whip up a lighter lather.

Nice analysis of your shaves! I think you have learned a good bit this month...or so it seems. I actually really liked Sputnik blades but haven't used them in quite some time!

worth a revisit Don.
By the way watched your pepper challenge vid last night. Sorry laugh at your expense. Reminded me why I don’t take those challenges anymore.

I once had an M&F Polo Finest 2-band. Excellent brush. In retrospect, I should have held on to that one for longer.

Dec Shave # 2 (1 days)

Blade: Gillette Nacet (5)
Soap: Strop Shoppe Black Tie.
Alum:
AS: Thayer’s Medicated Witch Hazel

Had some time on my hands before Sunday dinner so knocked out a quick SAS shave.
Picked up a new bowl to lather at a kitchen supply store. Put it to the test and perfect. When the Black Tie is whipped up lighter it provides less cushion so I am not sure if the SAS was due to soap or the Nacet with 5 shaves on it. I should have made sure the soap was whipping peaks.
2 passes both XTG. No pulls or shatter but a few jumps that could have been dangerous.

Quick alum and no irritations

Some Thayer's and off to eat with the kids.. Have a great week Cadre.

Back