The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Sharp’s Tales: There Will Be Blood

Nice read today. If there is one thing I have learned while doing this bad blade series. I tend to agree with Doug a lot when it comes to blade choices.
I have used quite a few odd-ball blades and like them. If I am a serious fanatic about anything it is blades. I guess that makes me a hardware guy.

I can even get good shaves from Derby Extras.

You have to treat carbon steel differently than you do stainless. Also, the different coatings on stainless blades definitely affect how the blade performs. This is something Chad might want to take into account as he does more bad blades.

Oh, and for the record all of the Treet carbon steel blades that I have used have been good. They do take some extra work to get to full-on BBS because they don't have as keen an edge as stainless, but they are really smooth. I have heard of some people actually having reactions to stainless or the coatings on some stainless blades. (This is one thing that can contribute to the perception of a "rough shave.") So, carbon steel can, in some cases, actually be better for the skin than stainless blades.

Oh, and for the record all of the Treet carbon steel blades that I have used have been good. They do take some extra work to get to full-on BBS because they don't have as keen an edge as stainless, but they are really smooth. I have heard of some people actually having reactions to stainless or the coatings on some stainless blades. (This is one thing that can contribute to the perception of a "rough shave.") So, carbon steel can, in some cases, actually be better for the skin than stainless blades.

If this is true about being better for skin it will be a plus. I just don’t think it will break through my copper wires.

You must hang out with my wife a lot.....

I never thought about different coatings affecting blade performance. I should start paying attention to that.
My understanding is that there are two types of coatings used on stainless blades. The first are coatings like chromium, and platinum that improve the hardness of the steel, reduce deformation, and help resist corrosion so that the blade lasts longer. The second type are anti-friction coatings like PTFE that make the shave smoother. Any of these can react with the skin. For example, there is a thing called "Wedding Ring Dermatitis" which is when a person has an allergic reaction to the materials in their wedding ring. This can happen with platinum. So, yes, this is something that may be worth paying attention to. Also the different coatings have different coefficients of friction. Combine these and different blades will perform differently on certain skin types than on others.

Caught back up, some good reads! Great looking Straight too! Hope the kiddo is on the mend.

thanks Tim. Back in school.
My understanding is that there are two types of coatings used on stainless blades. The first are coatings like chromium, and platinum that improve the hardness of the steel, reduce deformation, and help resist corrosion so that the blade lasts longer. The second type are anti-friction coatings like PTFE that make the shave smoother. Any of these can react with the skin. For example, there is a thing called "Wedding Ring Dermatitis" which is when a person has an allergic reaction to the materials in their wedding ring. This can happen with platinum. So, yes, this is something that may be worth paying attention to. Also the different coatings have different coefficients of friction. Combine these and different blades will perform differently on certain skin types than on others.

makes sense

I LOVE VIDE POCHE!!! It smells amazing and I love the performance! It's sad though that I may never get another tub of it.

Shave #8 1/2 (growth 32 hours)

Razors: Blackbird SB Black Oxide
Blade: Treet Black Carbon (2)
Brush: Paladin El Dorado 28mm
Soap: Declaration Grooming Vide Poche
Alum
AS: Thayers Medicated.

If there is a blade you might ever let your five-year-old play with it would be the Treet Black Carbon. Well, as long as it wasn't rusty or your kid has all his shots.

I was not expecting such a hard drop off of this blade's performance. After only one use this blade just fell off on me. Two passes and there was barely a dent up in hair removal. No weepers, pulling or irritation. This blade just glided over the face and whiskers. There was no reason to go for a third pass.
Maybe I should have hand stropped to straighten out the edge? Is there a level lower than CSC? If so I think that is what I got.
The good news I can probably shave again tonight.

Possible uses for this blade:
Travel blade: If you just need a comfortable presentable shave this blade is good for one use. Thank God they are cheap. $9 for 100 pack at Italian Barber.
Training blade:
Maybe a 13-year-old's peach fuzz mustache could be mowed down? Hmm, not a bad idea. I will hold onto these blades for when Walker is ready to shave. I know he won't hurt himself

Sorry, Doug, I wanted to love them.

I have a soft beard, so they last longer for me. Next time try palm stropping it after the shave. That might help it last longer. But, if you have a really tough beard, they may not be a good blade for you.

Shave #10 (1.5 days)

Razors: Muhle Rocca
Blade: PolSilver SI
Brush: Wiborg Finest Two Band
Soap: Strop Shoppe Black Tie
Alum
AS: L'Occitane ASB

Only the second time using the Rocca and it did not dissapoint. Milder than the Blackbird. I need to use this razor a bit more. It is not at manuverable does not have the weight as the BB, it is not far off and a smoother ride to boot. My trouble spot right of my mouth was not an issue today.

The PolSilver paired well. I look forward to see how this blade does over the next couple of days. I am going to spend more time with this razor over the balance of this month. Though considering grabbing a Vector as my first SE.

Picked up some soaps at Pasteur's.. Probably my last time for the year. Took down a few soaps:
Ariana and Evans L’Orange Verte
B&M Wave.
Eufros Dama de Noche
Wholley Kaw Fougere Bouguet

I am excited for the new year.

Good day folks.

Back