The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Gift Exchange 2019

Apologies to my Reindeer buddy. I just hear that the postal service here is going on strike Monday. I had everything lined up and coming in for the package to go out next week, just waiting on one thing, but it looks like it will be delayed a week or two. The claim they will go back to work by the 24 of Nov at worst, but if that's the case, I'm sure you can imagine what the post office is going to be like.

Apologies to my Reindeer buddy. I just hear that the postal service here is going on strike Monday. I had everything lined up and coming in for the package to go out next week, just waiting on one thing, but it looks like it will be delayed a week or two. The claim they will go back to work by the 24 of Nov at worst, but if that's the case, I'm sure you can imagine what the post office is going to be like.
Ugh, that stinks. I'm sure everyone here is quite understanding. Obviously nothing you can do about it. But it'll still have a month to get here, so should still arrive on time.

Does that include the services like DHL and UPS/FedEx type services? Not that you are expected to use them, just wondering what the delivery systems are like in that region.

Does that include the services like DHL and UPS/FedEx type services? Not that you are expected to use them, just wondering what the delivery systems are like in that region.

They all operate here, good point, I might look into one if it comes down to it. Well not Fed Ex, I've seen their prices, it isn't pretty.

I always thought UPS was supposed to be relatively low cost but I have yet to find a case where they were not so much more costly that I didn't faint. DHL must be pretty good because I get a lot of international shipments delivered via DHL. Most are done very well and SUPER fast at a cost under $20 for lower weight items but often the budget DHL shipments that get final delivery via USPS get lost in the shuffle. One day I will learn how to use DHL for international shipping.

DHL is the most common inter Europe shipper. Some shipments from them come to the door, others go to the post office, but I have no idea how that works. Another big one here is PostNord, they don't come to the door, rather they drop off at local Kisoks, which is just fine too, it's just a couple of blocks walk.

It might be that DHL is only one way in North America, I remember looking into it in my last job, but I'd have to check again. They are seem to be the best intersect of reasonable and reliable here for door to door delivery.

In Canada, when I receive any courier shipment which arrives from international, there's always some nice customs and 'handling" fees to be paid whne they deliver. Good old fashioned postal services might take longer, but seldom are there any evil surprises waiting.

I’ve always wondered about international stuff. Say you order a Turkish copper bowl from eBay to whoop up your soap in. They charge something like $4 shipping. If Dave was sending just from lil ole Kentucky it would cost more than that to mail. There has to be some agreements between countries to handle incoming mail between them or something.

Getting there. Have most items on hand. Couple more to still acquire.

I just learned that the post office itself is still open, the delivery people are striking, but the post office personal will go on sympathy strike next week. I did a Hail Mary anyway and took the package today, it's on a slow sled from near the North Pole.

The whole thing is looking like a giant mess, the unions have been hurdling some strong insults at the upper management of Posti and are now calling for the CEO to step down. (Personally given the way the service has declined in recent years, and how much the CEO is making, I understand their position.) Some frieght and public transport sectors are threatening sympathy strikes plus the general post office, it's looking to get messier soon, and no resolution in sight. :(

Last edited:
Back