The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Another win shave! Every bloodless shave closer to 100 is a step in the right direction!

Hey now! 2/2 for blood free SR shaves is what we like to call a "streak". Keep it up, the results will come!

Dang, shifted pretty quick to all straight and no clean-up.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 213 SV: 8 SR: 2)

Had too much going on today, so I went with an evening shave. Also gave the SR a rest and went with the Slim.

Pre Shave-
Warm shower and water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Slim

Astra SP (5)
Vulfix badger
Proraso Green soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Proraso Green AS

It is random shave weekend, so I changed razors and soaps. I loaded the Vulfix for 30 seconds tonight and kept throwing water at it. I whipped up an awesome lather that was nice and slick.

Went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG, and have no drama to report. Folks, gather around while I tell you this. Tonight I walked away with a BBS for the win! My friends, I tell you it was glorious!

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. Hit it with the Proraso Green AS and everything was right as rain! The shave settled down quickly for an awesome post shave feel. Life is good!

Another win shave! Every bloodless shave closer to 100 is a step in the right direction!
Thanks Chris!
Keep up the good work Tim. I can tell you got this on the run. Congrats
Thanks Dave, I hope so.
Dang, shifted pretty quick to all straight and no clean-up.
I really could have used that clean-up ?
Hey now! 2/2 for blood free SR shaves is what we like to call a "streak". Keep it up, the results will come!
Thanks Josh! If I can just get my technique dialed in.

Nice shave with the Slim last night, Tim! Even though I primarily shave with the SR, it's nice to mix it up occasionally with a DE or SE shave.

Nice and solid shave Tim! Have to have these type of shaves to keep the sanity!

I have to ask...as the name "half-pint" stuck yet?

Nice and solid shave Tim! Have to have these type of shaves to keep the sanity!

I have to ask...as the name "half-pint" stuck yet?
1f60b.png

Not yet, but there is plenty of time ?

2018 Shave Count (DE: 213 SV: 8 SR: 3)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Gillette Old Type
Astra SP (6)
Omega boar
Proraso Green soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Proraso Green AS

Stropped the SR and had it on deck tonight, but I brought in the Old Type for a backup. I loaded the Omega for 30 seconds tonight and threw water at it. I whipped up another awesome lather that was nice and slick. I was already a fan of Proraso Red, but I’m digging the Green as well.

Went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG, and have no drama to report. I managed the first two passes with the SR, but couldn’t get that ATG pass dialed in. Brought in the DE for the last pass. Tonight I walked away with a DFS! It doesn’t feel like a win when you switch razors.

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the Proraso Green AS and everything was right as rain! The shave settled down quickly for an awesome post shave feel. That’s three in the books. Life is good!

Awesome!

Helpful tip on the ATG, though I’m not sure what your beard pattern is, mine is pretty much textbook: I only do ATG with the SR on the cheeks, lower lip, under the jaw, and the neck. The upper lip, jawline, and chin are ATG/XTG hybrid strokes for me.

No shame in going to the DE for the ATG pass Tim. When I actually do an ATG pass, I'll use the SR for my cheeks, but the rest I'll use one of my safety razors. (usually the 'jectah)

I rarely do any true ATG passes; I too use "hybrid" XTC passes.
I also use that hybrid ATG stroke. That’s where I was messing up with this razor, I was trying to push through a true ATG. I blame it on Geofatboy., he makes it look easy.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 213 SV: 8 SR: 4)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Three Ranners SR
Omega boar
Proraso Green soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Proraso Green AS

Last night I stropped the SR and had it ready for business and I kept the Old Type on the shelf. I dropped the load time on the Omega to 25 seconds, ran wet and threw more water at it. I whipped up another awesome lather that was nice and slick. If you let the lather sit for a minute, the cooling sensation is pretty nice too. Yeah, I finally noticed that.

Went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG, and have no drama to report. I took my time and used both hands. I worked on the various lines and angles and went back to my hybrid ATG pass. I also ran a pretty shallow angle on the blade. It was late and I was getting tired, but last night I walked away with a CCS+. It may have been borderline DFS. I’m doing online training from home this week and today seems like a good day for a lunch time shave. So we’ll see what I can pull off.

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the Proraso Green AS and everything was right as rain! The shave, once again, settled down quickly for an awesome post shave feel. That’s 4 down and 96 to go. I think my strokes are getting better and not as awkward so ... Life is good!

Agree, you seem to be making quick progress with the straights. And at home work? That's the best!

The result might not have matched what you wanted, but feeling comfortable is the name of the game early on!

Back