The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Work on the weekend? I’d demand a raise!!!

Well, I work in IT. That means I’m competing with kids just out of college. That and all the visa workers that big business wants to keep bringing in. So I am simply thankful to have a job that will support the family.

Shave Count (DE: 252 SR: 138)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Henckel SR
Lather & Wood badger
Ghost Town Barber soap (3017 - Day 41)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Ghost Town Barber AS

Today is a special treat. A friend recommended that I try GTB. So I did and I’ll give a review of it and the Lather & Wood brush that I received free. I’ll also review some shave towels that the lovely missus bought for me. Where to begin? The brush. This was a give away to generate buzz for the new offering. It will retail for $30 and I’ll include a pic of my other brushes in that price range. So I pulled it from the box, gave it a bit of cleaning and lathered for 30 seconds. That was more lather than brush. When lathering, you could tell it was less dense and has less backbone than other offerings. With that said, it is useable and I was able to get three passes out of it. When face lathering, I did confirm the lack of density and backbone. And oh, that new badger funk smell can’t forget to mention that.

Did 50 laps on the leather. Went with my standard three pass shave of: WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. Another outstanding shave in the early afternoon and BBS too!

So about these towels. They are listed as commercial grade dish towels, and I think Herringbone. I’ll have to double check that. They are thinner than a bath hand towel, so they should dry quickly. They may also make good towels for a hot towel treatment. I mainly use them to wipe my blade when shaving and to cleanup when done.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a light towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Speaking of the AS. The GTB is a good soap/AS combo. It has a nice scent and a very nice lather that provides plenty of slickness for a shave. Follow that up with the splash and face feel I would call it a good second shelf soap. But that’s probably because all of my soaps are physically located on the second shelf. Anyway, had to work from 8:30-2:00 today and that interrupted my morning shave. But I finally got a chance to shave. And with that, you know ... Life is good!

Nice brushes! I’m glad I didn’t go for the free brush, thanks for being the guinea pig lol.

I keep getting emails from Lather and Wood about a VIP program to be offered free products. I read the first one but it said you had to pay for the items and they would refund the money. Seemed a little strange to me so I passed on it.

Nice shave Tim. There's another CFG scent I like called Ghost Town Barber. Just an FYI ?

Ghost Town Barber ... hm ...sounds intriguing. I’ll give it a try next week. I think I’m going to use the GTB this week to see if I can dial it in.

Nice brushes! I’m glad I didn’t go for the free brush, thanks for being the guinea pig lol.

Yeah, it’s kinda lackluster. I’d be pissed if it was my first badger and dropped $30 on it. I’d stick with boar. My PIF box is empty, so it will go in there.

Shave Count (DE: 253 SR: 138)

Pre Shave-

Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-

Gillette Old Type

Voskhod blade (5)

Zenith boar

Ghost Town Barber soap (3017 - Day 42)

Post Shave-

Warm water splash

Ghost Town Barber AS

Today I was a bit behind and I am going to blame it on my weekend work schedule and not being able to sleep in. Anyway, I decided to give the GTB a run this week after a recommendation from a friend. He also mentioned another soap that he heard about called Ghost Town Barber, so I will try that one next week. Anyway, here we go
. Since I was pressed for time, I grabbed the Old Type. It's still loaded with the last Voskhod blade that I have and it's on shave #5. Went with the Zenith today to get my boar fix. The Lather & Wood brush from yesterday was kinda lackluster, so I had to break out something better. Gave the brush a 30 second load and it cranked out a really nice lather.

Went with my standard three pass shave of: WTG, XTG and ATG and I have no drama to report. Once again the Old Type just delivers and I walked away with a BBS for the win! That's what I'm talking about. Used my new towels this morning and they are doing fine. I wasn't sure when I felt how thin these towels are, but they will dry quickly and I think these are going to work for the long term.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a light towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Time to go play in traffic. Life is good!

Wow! That GTB is hanging in there for your 3017. Maybe there are soap pixies adding to your tub.

Back