The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Quijote's search for BBS

Straight Shave 34

Waterville Cutlery 6/8
Stirling Synthetic
Stirling Naked and Smooth
LT DC / Barbasol Pacific Rush

This morning, I got up and did the HHT on this razor. It passed, barely. So, I took it to the balsa and now it is easily passing. First pass went great, but the blade looks huge on my face compared to my other 2 which are 5/8. Second pass also went well. I ended up with a DFS so close to a BBS that it has one foot in the door. This is definitely a keeper. The only questions now are do I fix the pin myself or send it to someone? And do I use the same scales or make custom ones? I sent a message to the seller asking if he knew if they are original. If they are, I will use these. If not, then I have a decision to make.

Great shave today Don! That's a great call on the scales. If they're original, trying to keep them is what I would do as well.

Great shave, read, and picture Don!

Dagwoodz said:
Great shave today Don! That's a great call on the scales. If they're original, trying to keep them is what I would do as well.

Agreed if they are orginial I would keep them if possible. I'm no expert at restoring. That being said my 2 attempts at repinning have resulted in re-scaling, well one would have been a rescale if the blade hadn't some how would up broke.

Dagwoodz said:
DocHoliday0831 said:
Good shave Don that razor is a beaut.
clyde72 said:
Great shave, read, and picture Don!
clyde72 said:

Agreed if they are orginial I would keep them if possible. I'm no expert at restoring. That being said my 2 attempts at repinning have resulted in re-scaling, well one would have been a rescale if the blade hadn't some how would up broke.
Thanks guys.

The seller got back to me. He is not 100% sure, but believes that they are original. Looks like they are staying.

Straight Shave 35

Keen Kutter K 11
Sorrentino Tuxedo
Stirling Naked and Smooth
LT DC / Fine Platinum

Hello all. Today was a great shave. I think I have settled into a routine. I may have made my lather a little thin today, it was running all over the place. But, it still have me enough slickness and protection for a high quality shave. I did 2 passes and was left with a DFS. No leakage or irritation. I may start trying to add in the last pass on the weekends but I am very happy with my current results and am in no hurry.

I realized today, that I am quite happy with the gear that I have. I think I may put off buying anything else for a couple months. At least until I hit 100 straight shaves. Then I may treat myself. I do have a copper bowl coming in at some point.

A la Mancha, the kids have their last day of spring break today, so tomorrow, it is back to normal. I was also told that tonight at cub scouts it is not a normal meeting, it is a bunch of people getting together to work on their derby cars. The newspaper are apparently going to be there as well, so, need to be extra careful not to cut off a finger tonight.

Have fun with the scouts. Be careful when you say you are going to slow down on purchases that's when a big order is on the horizon

Nice shave Don...always nice to find that routine. It gives you a way, by maybe changing things up a bit, to hit the refresh button when it goes a little stale.

Quijote said:
I realized today, that I am quite happy with the gear that I have. I think I may put off buying anything else for a couple months. At least until I hit 100 straight shaves. Then I may treat myself. I do have a copper bowl coming in at some point.

Do you have a fever?

Dagwoodz said:
At least he didn't use one of those naughty words...

That's true. I'm certain he just keeps using that Naked and Smooth because of the name.

DocHoliday0831 said:
Did he really just say he wasn’t buying anything for a while?

I’m just going to pretend he didn’t and hope he gets his mind right.

Great shave Don!
Quijote said:
I think I may put off buying anything else for a couple months.

1f631.png
1f1f4.png
1f1ed.png
1f1f9.png
1f1ed.png
1f1ea.png
1f1ee.png
1f1f3.png
1f1ed.png
1f1fa.png
1f1f2.png
1f1e6.png
1f1f3.png
1f1ee.png
1f1f9.png
1f1fe.png
2757.png
1f632.png

I must have miss read that!
1f61f.png

Let me clarify. I am not going to buy shaving stuff. I am instead going to be buying camping stuff.

Quijote said:
Let me clarify. I am not going to buy shaving stuff. I am instead going to be buying camping stuff.

This I understand... trying to get the trailer ready to camp... we have a date set of second weekend of May for our first trip. Hope we are ready. I have a list of items to accomplish in order for us to go.

Cvargo said:
This I understand... trying to get the trailer ready to camp... we have a date set of second weekend of May for our first trip. Hope we are ready. I have a list of items to accomplish in order for us to go.
We have a scout camping trip coming up soon, and the kids need new sleeping bags. Then I need a few things. Family camping is a lot different than minimalist camping.

Straight Shave 36

Waterville Cutlery 6/8
Stirling Boar
Tabac
LT DC / Fine Italian Citrus

Today was another great shave with this razor. 2 passes and I ended up with a DFS+. The strokes are both really feeling natural now.

A la Mancha, yesterday I took Elijah to cub scouts. They said that the newspaper was going to be there, so I assumed it was for a story on the pinewood derby. I was wrong, it was for the work we did with the local food pantry. We only got about 20 minutes to work on it, so we got the shape roughed out and will have to finish it at home. I haven't even started on my outlaw. I did find out that they don't really do powered outlaws, so I think I will keep it relatively simple this time. Maybe do more next year.

nice shave Don! That's good that the news station is covering the good things you are doing for the community. Not enough of that in the news nowadays.

Dagwoodz said:
nice shave Don! That's good that the news station is covering the good things you are doing for the community. Not enough of that in the news nowadays.
Thanks Josh, I agree, there needs to be more stories like that in the news.

Back