The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Primo's Journal du Jour...

Monday, November 29
ey8OvIV.jpg

AoS Peppermint~~Ali Baba 2~~1947 Gillette Super-Speed/Sharp Star~~Amouage Gold
Monday means menthol and while I am not a menthol-junkie, I do enjoy a refreshing tingle from my lather on occasion.
The peppermint in the AoS will mos def© remind you of the candy cane. Delicate tickle of the nerve endings.
Lather was created with the noble aid of the "fabled Aesop bowl" (@wristwatchb , unless you can document your provenance with regard to this phrase, I have put my legal team on patenting it post haste. Update to follow)

rxpH48p.jpg

Last day for the Sharp Star. Three and out.
The SS is one of the few TTO's remaining in my den. At one time, I had some real great ones. I like the concept, but for me, two and three piece razors have tighter specs and hold the blade more securely.
Another stank juice inspired by @wristwatchb 's love of Aramis...that is, the animalistic aspect of it.
Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 09.43.09.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 09.44.23.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 09.44.09.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 09.43.19.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 09.43.55.png
For the uninitiated:
Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.02.27.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 10.01.46.png

Amouage Gold was the very first scent released by this house. Interestingly the Sultans chose a western-european, Guy Robert, to create this masterpiece of perfumery.
BTW, the aforementioned coffee beans have an interesting Tabac-like aroma.

Monday, November 29
ey8OvIV.jpg

AoS Peppermint~~Ali Baba 2~~1947 Gillette Super-Speed/Sharp Star~~Amouage Gold
Monday means menthol and while I am not a menthol-junkie, I do enjoy a refreshing tingle from my lather on occasion.
The peppermint in the AoS will mos def© remind you of the candy cane. Delicate tickle of the nerve endings.
Lather was created with the noble aid of the "fabled Aesop bowl" (@wristwatchb , unless you can document your provenance with regard to this phrase, I have put my legal team on patenting it post haste. Update to follow)

rxpH48p.jpg

Last day for the Sharp Star. Three and out.
The SS is one of the few TTO's remaining in my den. At one time, I had some real great ones. I like the concept, but for me, two and three piece razors have tighter specs and hold the blade more securely.
Another stank juice inspired by @wristwatchb 's love of Aramis...that is, the animalistic aspect of it.
View attachment 68512
View attachment 68513
View attachment 68514
View attachment 68515
View attachment 68516
For the uninitiated:
View attachment 68517
View attachment 68518

Amouage Gold was the very first scent released by this house. Interestingly the Sultans chose a western-european, Guy Robert, to create this masterpiece of perfumery.
BTW, the aforementioned coffee beans have an interesting Tabac-like aroma.

Strong shave Primo! Figuratively and…literally, when civet is involved! 😂👍

🙊

I notified my attorney B. Maverick, Esq. He can clearly defend my legal standing. I am willing, however, to consider a licensing arrangement consisting of weekly payments of Rocky Road ice cream supplied in small, unmarked containers.

1.jpg

Tuesday, November 30
bwwBe88.jpg

Tabac~~dubl duck #4~~Leresche #51/Sharp Star~~Vintage Gucci Pour Homme (1976)
Lathering Tabac is like falling off a log. It doesn't get any easier.
Superior slickness scintillating scent.
emF3LK6.jpg

The R41 has a blade exposure that works better on my face than does the Leresche.
The stank juice is a 46 year old classic from the house of Gucci.
Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 19.26.21.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 19.27.59.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 19.28.12.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 19.27.45.png

Stunning scent, but three squirts to the solar plexus didn't get me through the day. Mos def© a "Re-applier".

Wednesday, December 1
YZKVo1R.jpg

Czech & Speake No. 88~~dubl duck #4~~1908 Gillette/Sharp Star~~Vintage Balenciaga Pour Homme
One summer, about six years ago, I did a rose focus. For six weeks, I alternated Duty Kabinett, Klar Kabinett and today's rose, No. 88.
Not really fair, seeing that the C&S is a creamy, luxurious, tallow soap, created by Valobra and the German Kabinetts are Palm Oil and Coconut Oil.

gPIQy5X.jpg

12 years before Tom Ford, during his tenure at YSL, developed, what many call, the first "western oud" fragrance, Balenciaga released Pour Homme.
If you are at all familiar with Oud, especially the "pencil shaving" aroma, you will recognize it in this juice.
Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 10.27.39.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 10.29.12.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 10.27.49.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 10.29.00.png

Wednesday, December 1
YZKVo1R.jpg

Czech & Speake No. 88~~dubl duck #4~~1908 Gillette/Sharp Star~~Vintage Balenciaga Pour Homme
One summer, about six years ago, I did a rose focus. For six weeks, I alternated Duty Kabinett, Klar Kabinett and today's rose, No. 88.
Not really fair, seeing that the C&S is a creamy, luxurious, tallow soap, created by Valobra and the German Kabinetts are Palm Oil and Coconut Oil.

gPIQy5X.jpg

B12 years before Tom Ford, during his tenure at YSL, developed, what many call, the first "western oud" fragrance, Balenciaga released Pour Homme.
If you are at all familiar with Oud, especially the "pencil shaving" aroma, you will recognize it in this juice.
View attachment 68744
View attachment 68745
View attachment 68746

View attachment 68747
Delightful! Great shave Primo!

Thursday December 2
1k92rWf.jpg

Mike's Bay Rum~~Rubberset 400/3~~1908 Gillette/Sharp Star~~Dior Leather Oud
This post is dedicated to a very nice and friendly member who always has nice things to say especially about dull brushes. He politely brought to my attention the need to address a serious tarnish issue. I then could not help noticing that my 1908 Gillette Old Type which was loaded with a twice-used still fairly sharp and smooth Sharp Star. With that preamble out of the way I shall now continue with my shave post dated the second day of December 2021.
The now shiny Rubberset made a glorious and sumptuous lather loaded with slickness no doubt because the second ingredient is tallow and who doesn't love smearing saponified beef fat all over their just washed face? I do do you?
The Old Type got a thorough polishing and the results as you can clearly see are simply lovely. The knurling which is quite fine always presents a challenge when polishing. Today I eschewed my bottle of Flitz and opted for the ever popular standard yellowish polishing rag.
I also chose to shave employing the traditional three pass long stroke no buffing of any kind at all technique. Honestly I didn't notice a difference and for future shaves I will have no problem with some buffing when the opportunity arises if it ever does.
My stank juice is a 10ml decant from the house of Christian Dior:
Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 09.43.27.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 09.44.39.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 09.43.41.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 09.44.27.png

The Dior juice is very pungent with oud and the dry down which comes after about an hour is a masculine earthy leather perhaps the smell of an Italian leather shop or an upscale shoe store. This is a scent that really checks off the boxes on my list of scent requirements.

Thursday December 2
1k92rWf.jpg

Mike's Bay Rum~~Rubberset 400/3~~1908 Gillette/Sharp Star~~Dior Leather Oud
This post is dedicated to a very nice and friendly member who always has nice things to say especially about dull brushes. He politely brought to my attention the need to address a serious tarnish issue. I then could not help noticing that my 1908 Gillette Old Type which was loaded with a twice-used still fairly sharp and smooth Sharp Star. With that preamble out of the way I shall now continue with my shave post dated the second day of December 2021.
The now shiny Rubberset made a glorious and sumptuous lather loaded with slickness no doubt because the second ingredient is tallow and who doesn't love smearing saponified beef fat all over their just washed face? I do do you?
The Old Type got a thorough polishing and the results as you can clearly see are simply lovely. The knurling which is quite fine always presents a challenge when polishing. Today I eschewed my bottle of Flitz and opted for the ever popular standard yellowish polishing rag.
I also chose to shave employing the traditional three pass long stroke no buffing of any kind at all technique. Honestly I didn't notice a difference and for future shaves I will have no problem with some buffing when the opportunity arises if it ever does.
My stank juice is a 10ml decant from the house of Christian Dior:
View attachment 68821
View attachment 68822
View attachment 68823
View attachment 68824

The Dior juice is very pungent with oud and the dry down which comes after about an hour is a masculine earthy leather perhaps the smell of an Italian leather shop or an upscale shoe store. This is a scent that really checks off the boxes on my list of scent requirements.
Not much into animatic frags…but you sure make it sound nice!

Back