The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Primo's Journal du Jour...

primotenore

Shave Member
Good morning TSC,
Encouraged by my friend and fellow TSC
member, @Bill M, yours truly, Primo is starting his own shave journal.
Quick bio, I have been shaving with traditional gear since 2014. In the 40+ years prior, I, like many of you, hated shaving and only shaved when it was necessary.
For my humble beginnings using my grandfather's Norelco electric (two heads, power cord required) then the typical succession of razors, Trac II, Sensors, 5-bladed carts, etc.
All that has changed since 2014, when I purchased the Chinese Weishi, sold under the moniker "Micro-touch One", and the rest is shaving history. I was afflicted with BAD, RAD, SAD, like many, but these are now, more or less, :unsure: under control. My most recent "acquisition disorder" is fragrances. I have become a real "frag-head", finding myself posting and perusing sites like basenotes.net and Fragrantica.com
My lathers must be shiny and well-hydrated. My brushes must have great flow-through and buttery-soft knots. I tend to Russian steel for my DE's and for my straights, I am all over the place.
Vintage gear is near and dear to me as well.
As this journal evolves, I hope to educate and inform and with a little "primo-luck", entertain. ;)

Let's get started:

Monday, October 11
QS4uzpn.jpg

AoS Oud~~Simpson CH3~~Gustave Lalune Mon Fier Destrier~~Montale Aoud Cuir d'Arabie
I was just discussing this razor with Bill yesterday, so that
inspired me to whip it out...(easy there...)
The razor is "drop-forged". This was a term I had heard of, but never
associated with straight razors.
The process involves (and this is very
crudely
explained) literally dropping a weighted form onto the blank
over and over, until the shape has been formed.
It's a hefty razor and is one of my largest.
Prep for the razor included some laps on a CrOx-charged linen strop, followed by 40 laps on my SRP 3" and 20 on my Slavin 2".
I have a few creams remaining in my rotation, and IMO, the AoS creams are outstanding.
Today's oud has a distinct pencil shaving scent, subtile, but aromatic.
The brush that whipped the cream into some gorgeous goo is a Somerset era Chubby 3 in Best Badger.
Best badger knots from this era completely outshine what Simpson currently offers.
c69Alty.jpg

The cream easily evolves into a slick 'n shiny lather.
First WTG pass with skin
stretched removed most of the stubble. I have learned since learning to use a straight razor,
is never to "chase the baby". I have also learned to be satisfied with a DFS shave on my neck.
The hair there grows darn-near sideways towards my ears and to perform a true ATG pass on my lower neck (with a straight)
is almost impossible, due to my limitations finding the correct grip. I can, without issue, perform a true ATG pass
with a DE razor, but try as I may, cannot achieve that with a straight.
I stopped after two passes with excellent results. BBS on cheeks and DFS on neck.
Post-shave routine is fairly consistent, I rinse with cold water, followed by a healthy rinse with Witch Hazel
(I prefer Thayer's), then an unscented aftershave balm.
FOTD is a polarizing Oud (Aoud) scent from the house of Montale.

IMG_0017.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 10.49.46.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 10.49.55.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 10.50.03.png
This juice has a nice, barnyard opening and the Oud is very animalistic.
I tend to choose scents that please me and wear them
proudly.
Now, Dr. Mrs. Primo (SWMBO) has a very sensitive nose, so when we are spending time together,
especially if we are driving somewhere, I will use discretion when choosing my cologne and limit my spritzes.
Not today, as I over-sprayed with abandon. :ROFLMAO:
I think I have taxed you all sufficiently with this inaugural post.
Have a great day and thanks for allowing me to go on this journey with you.

Welcome Joseph, my good friend.

Be sure your works will be in my daily read.

A word of caution to others here at the Cadre, Joseph has carefully copywrited terminology and acronyms that his ruthless law firm will defend with intensity. Be sure to credit the author sufficiently.

Tuesday, October 12
EO7Zelx.jpg

Yardley Black Label~~Simpson MC~~Gillette Pre-War USA Tech/Gillette Swede~~Nasomatto Black Afgano
I mentioned that I am a big fan of
vintage gear and today's soap is probably the G.O.A.T
vintage soap in my den: Yardley Black Label. Stunning lather, that is
amazingly thick and slick.
The Gillette Tech, combined with a day 2 Gillette Platinum, slid around my face like Dick Button
in the '48 and '52 Olympics.
Buffing galore sans issues of any kind, resulted in an excellent shave.
Post-shave routine
remained the same, cleaning off residual soap with some unscented witch hazel,
followed by today's ASB Proraso for sensitive skin.
Side note: whatever Proraso did in the last
reformulation resulted in a product that is
now stickier than the old formula. 😡

Darn reformulations. In my shaving career, I can think of only ONE, that's right, ONE
reformulation that has resulted in a "better" product. Ready:
Ralph Lauren Polo. When Cosmair reformulated the original Warner, they actually improved it.
Today's juice is from the Italian house of Nasomatto (Crazy Nose)
Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 10.22.10.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 10.22.55.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 10.22.19.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 10.22.46.png
I have to choose carefully when I opt for this juice. SWMBO has not given it the coveted SWMBOSOA©
(She Who Must Be Obeyed Seal Of Approval)
Yes, as @Bill M recently mentioned, this is one of a number of copyrighted acronyms.
Any and ALL usage by TSC members, other than myself, must first attain permission from my
lead counsel, F. Patrick Smithington. (BTW, the first "I" is long)

Uh, is that really cannabis in the scent profile?

Carefully secured in hazmat approved containers, I think I still have a lump of the soap that reeked of a dirty hippie girl apartment. I’m sure cannabis was in that one.

Tuesday, October 12
EO7Zelx.jpg

Yardley Black Label~~Simpson MC~~Gillette Pre-War USA Tech/Gillette Swede~~Nasomatto Black Afgano
I mentioned that I am a big fan of
vintage gear and today's soap is probably the G.O.A.T
vintage soap in my den: Yardley Black Label. Stunning lather, that is
amazingly thick and slick.
The Gillette Tech, combined with a day 2 Gillette Platinum, slid around my face like Dick Button
in the '48 and '52 Olympics.
Buffing galore sans issues of any kind, resulted in an excellent shave.
Post-shave routine
remained the same, cleaning off residual soap with some unscented witch hazel,
followed by today's ASB Proraso for sensitive skin.
Side note: whatever Proraso did in the last
reformulation resulted in a product that is
now stickier than the old formula. 😡

Darn reformulations. In my shaving career, I can think of only ONE, that's right, ONE
reformulation that has resulted in a "better" product. Ready:
Ralph Lauren Polo. When Cosmair reformulated the original Warner, they actually improved it.
Today's juice is from the Italian house of Nasomatto (Crazy Nose)
View attachment 63536
View attachment 63537
View attachment 63538

View attachment 63539
I have to choose carefully when I opt for this juice. SWMBO has not given it the coveted SWMBOSOA©
(She Who Must Be Obeyed Seal Of Approval)
Yes, as @Bill M recently mentioned, this is one of a number of copyrighted acronyms.
Any and ALL usage by TSC members, other than myself, must first attain permission from my
lead counsel, F. Patrick Smithington. (BTW, the first "I" is long)
Great Tech shave, Maestro! I like that Simpson brush of yours! Looks like a great lather builder!

Back