The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Pens, inks and related.....

Pilot Metropolitan is a great place to start. Can be had for around $20. Takes cartridges and also has 2 styles of converter available to use bottled inks.
This is a pen I’ve actually been looking at. Seems like a great intro pen and is relatively cheap. Also looking at the Varsity but I think thats strictly a disposable.

This is a pen I’ve actually been looking at. Seems like a great intro pen and is relatively cheap. Also looking at the Varsity but I think thats strictly a disposable.
No experience with the Varsity, but I do have a Metropolitan. Very smooth writer. I got a fine nib and despite not having used one since highschool, I had no scratching from it at all.

When your Varsity is empty, you can carefully pull the nib unit off, give everything a good rinse, and refill the body. A little silicone grease before re-inserting the nib unit and you're good to go once again. You can't do this forever, but I refilled mine at least 5 times before I PIFd it to a fascinated co-worker years ago.

I bought the Pilot Metropolitan and definitely recommend it as an entry level pen. I prefer a fine tip and the fine tip nib works well for me. I am planning to purchase a second pen and a replacement set of converters. The converter included with the Metropolitan is working but it is starting to hold less ink. I have a nice jar of waterman ink to use up otherwise I might consider getting/using the pre-filled cartridges.

I also have a varsity but i use it less because its a medium tip. My ham fisted approach to scribbling makes the medium point a less desirable option. The price was very good (I think i paid between $4 and $6) but the Metropolitan can be found for $15 if you dont have a preference for appearance or color.

Go for it @SteveChuckFrank

I bought the Pilot Metropolitan and definitely recommend it as an entry level pen. I prefer a fine tip and the fine tip nib works well for me. I am planning to purchase a second pen and a replacement set of converters. The converter included with the Metropolitan is working but it is starting to hold less ink. I have a nice jar of waterman ink to use up otherwise I might consider getting/using the pre-filled cartridges.

I also have a varsity but i use it less because its a medium tip. My ham fisted approach to scribbling makes the medium point a less desirable option. The price was very good (I think i paid between $4 and $6) but the Metropolitan can be found for $15 if you dont have a preference for appearance or color.

Go for it @SteveChuckFrank
I was actually looking at the both the Varsity and Mertoplitan. I like price of the Varsity (found a 3 pack for $8 lol) but they’re pretty much one and done. I think @woodpusher mentioned it’s possible to refill them, but it can be a bit tricky.

The metropolitan comes with a converter but I’ve only seen it with a medium nib. I’m not sure if the nib is replaceable on that model. I found the metropolitan in a plain black model for $11.

I’m leaning towards the metropolitan. I prefer a fine tip pen, but I like the option to refill and the metropolitan is less disposable in a appearance lol.

I was actually looking at the both the Varsity and Mertoplitan. I like price of the Varsity (found a 3 pack for $8 lol) but they’re pretty much one and done. I think @woodpusher mentioned it’s possible to refill them, but it can be a bit tricky.

The metropolitan comes with a converter but I’ve only seen it with a medium nib. I’m not sure if the nib is replaceable on that model. I found the metropolitan in a plain black model for $11.

I’m leaning towards the metropolitan. I prefer a fine tip pen, but I like the option to refill and the metropolitan is less disposable in a appearance lol.
I found a fine tip on amazon, its in my cart waiting for pay day. I don't know enough about the nibs to know if/how to change them but I am guessing the metropolitan would be best if purchased with the desired nib. I have the plain black one and like it a lot. The fountain pen is certainly an opportunity to impress clients, hand them a fountain pen to sign stuff or take notes and they notice. I have such horrible penmanship I cant justify anything more expensive than the entry level pilot.

Another thing i like about the pilots is that they are a little thicker in my hand. I can't use thin pens, I need thicker barrels.

I found a fine tip on amazon, its in my cart waiting for pay day. I don't know enough about the nibs to know if/how to change them but I am guessing the metropolitan would be best if purchased with the desired nib. I have the plain black one and like it a lot. The fountain pen is certainly an opportunity to impress clients, hand them a fountain pen to sign stuff or take notes and they notice. I have such horrible penmanship I cant justify anything more expensive than the entry level pilot.

Another thing i like about the pilots is that they are a little thicker in my hand. I can't use thin pens, I need thicker barrels.
I figure I'll be ok just trying out a medium point to see if I even remotely like using a fountain pen. How long did it take for you to adjust to writing with one?

What you guys should do is find a pen kit and have one of our fabulous artisans lathe you a custom barrel!

I figure I'll be ok just trying out a medium point to see if I even remotely like using a fountain pen. How long did it take for you to adjust to writing with one?
I write right handed so I never had to adjust for dry time. My biggest issue is how I move the pen over the paper, I don't lift far so if i am writing on a pad of paper that has any 'bounce' to it i end up with a bunch of extra streaks or dots. The biggest thing to learn to adjust for is the flow of ink. If you use a ball point the ink only flows when the pen is in motion, a fountain pen flows whenever it is in contact with paper. If you stahl or pause often you will end up with some extra ink on the page.

I have not gone down the premium paper route but if you intend to write letters it is a good idea to get some premium paper. Premium paper makes the fountain pen results look SO much better. I don't have any issues with using basic copy paper and good quality lined writing pads.

If you try the Pilot Varsity and find that you "kind of like it" going to the Metropolitan will make you "like it". The Varsity is a very good fountain pen in its own right but the metropolitan is a clear step up.

If you try the Pilot Varsity and find that you "kind of like it" going to the Metropolitan will make you "like it". The Varsity is a very good fountain pen in its own right but the metropolitan is a clear step up.
I think I'm just gonna go for the Metropolitan. It's still a cheap pen and if I do like it I'm already set up for the next step of switching inks.

I think I'm just gonna go for the Metropolitan. It's still a cheap pen and if I do like it I'm already set up for the next step of switching inks.
I just got my second metropolitan (slightly different shape and balance) and a set of converters for the new one and my old one. ...loving them. The fine tip bib and new converters make a perfect flow, just love it.

I just got my second metropolitan (slightly different shape and balance) and a set of converters for the new one and my old one. ...loving them. The fine tip bib and new converters make a perfect flow, just love it.
I’ve been so busy I still haven’t picked one up yet, potentially tomorrow though. Do they typically come with a fine nib? I thought medium.

Back