The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Occam Enoch passaround

Sorry to have been AWOL this past week. Work and other things have kept me busy. But not too busy for shaving.

Here are my summaries of each of the razors.

1) Occam Enoch. I started the pass-around by shaving with the Enoch. It took me a couple of shaves to dial in on the razor, but by my third shave I was getting excellent results. I was using a Schick Proline P-30, which is one of my two go-to AC blades. Overall, I like the results that I got from the Enoch but there are a couple of things about the razor that I didn't like. First, my first two shaves seemed harsh. I don't know whether that's a question of dialing it in, but I generally don't have as much of a problem as I did with the Enoch. The third and fourth shaves with the Enoch were very nice though so perhaps that issue is solved. The other thing that I found was that the handle makes the razor feel a little bottom heavy. Not enough to cause a problem, but I did have to adjust my grip on the razor in a way that I'm not used to in order to get the balance right. And finally, I found that loading and unloading the blade is a little fussy. Again, not a deal breaker. Overall, this is the razor of the three in the passaround that I would go for.

2) Occam O.R.E.N. Performed as well (if not better than) the Enoch. However, I found the handle to be not comfortable - I'm not sure that I'd go as far as uncomfortable - in day to day use. Second, I was unable to easily remove the blade without the accompanying tool. That's a deal breaker for me. I would not be concerned about the screws on the various combs. Once I determined the one I'd use most of the time, I don't imagine that I'd be changing things around very often (if at all). Shaves with the O.R.E.N. on the two-dot comb were quite smooth so I think I'd probably stick with that one.

3) Aluminum General. The SS General v.2 is my day-to-day AC razor, so I thought I'd try out the aluminum version. I typically use my SS head on my titanium handle, so the weights of the two razors were comparable. The shave results were identical from both sides. I did find out that I like the smaller head of the v.2 better than the v.1 and that the SS head had better glide on my face than the Al.

Here are some pics of the two razors:

IMG_6963.JPG
IMG_4172.JPG
IMG_3490.JPG

I'm lucky to have two AC razors that I really love - my General and a Cobra Classic. While I enjoyed all of these razors for different reasons, none of them offers anything that I don't already have. So I'm not likely to make a purchase any time soon. If I was forced to choose one to buy, I'd go with the Enoch. If I didn't own the Cobra, I might also consider a Hiram since my understanding is that it has the same head as the O.R.E.N.

Thanks again to @The Monkey for giving me a chance to use these razors. I'll get them out to @Cvargo tomorrow.

Bob

Sorry to have been AWOL this past week. Work and other things have kept me busy. But not too busy for shaving.

Here are my summaries of each of the razors.

1) Occam Enoch. I started the pass-around by shaving with the Enoch. It took me a couple of shaves to dial in on the razor, but by my third shave I was getting excellent results. I was using a Schick Proline P-30, which is one of my two go-to AC blades. Overall, I like the results that I got from the Enoch but there are a couple of things about the razor that I didn't like. First, my first two shaves seemed harsh. I don't know whether that's a question of dialing it in, but I generally don't have as much of a problem as I did with the Enoch. The third and fourth shaves with the Enoch were very nice though so perhaps that issue is solved. The other thing that I found was that the handle makes the razor feel a little bottom heavy. Not enough to cause a problem, but I did have to adjust my grip on the razor in a way that I'm not used to in order to get the balance right. And finally, I found that loading and unloading the blade is a little fussy. Again, not a deal breaker. Overall, this is the razor of the three in the passaround that I would go for.

2) Occam O.R.E.N. Performed as well (if not better than) the Enoch. However, I found the handle to be not comfortable - I'm not sure that I'd go as far as uncomfortable - in day to day use. Second, I was unable to easily remove the blade without the accompanying tool. That's a deal breaker for me. I would not be concerned about the screws on the various combs. Once I determined the one I'd use most of the time, I don't imagine that I'd be changing things around very often (if at all). Shaves with the O.R.E.N. on the two-dot comb were quite smooth so I think I'd probably stick with that one.

3) Aluminum General. The SS General v.2 is my day-to-day AC razor, so I thought I'd try out the aluminum version. I typically use my SS head on my titanium handle, so the weights of the two razors were comparable. The shave results were identical from both sides. I did find out that I like the smaller head of the v.2 better than the v.1 and that the SS head had better glide on my face than the Al.

Here are some pics of the two razors:

View attachment 24978
View attachment 24979
View attachment 24980

I'm lucky to have two AC razors that I really love - my General and a Cobra Classic. While I enjoyed all of these razors for different reasons, none of them offers anything that I don't already have. So I'm not likely to make a purchase any time soon. If I was forced to choose one to buy, I'd go with the Enoch. If I didn't own the Cobra, I might also consider a Hiram since my understanding is that it has the same head as the O.R.E.N.

Thanks again to @The Monkey for giving me a chance to use these razors. I'll get them out to @Cvargo tomorrow.

Bob
Bob, that was a nice write-up and review and I appreciate it. I did not realize that the version 2 had a smaller head so that was nice to know.

Quick Question Gents on the occam or hiram which plate, . .. ... would be similar in agressivness to the Vector with a Proguard? When I get mine in on Thursday, want to do the shootout as close in comparison as possible.
Thanks

3 is the most aggressive but it also allows the most chatter on the blade which drove me nuts. I just kept it at 2.

I dunno. I use it on the 2 dot and they feel very similar. There ya go Dave. Now we just need someone to say the 1 dot plate and you're all set.

Probably the 3rd plate. I know plate 2 was no sweat.
I would say 3 but still wasn't as effective for me. Hope you like it. I just didn't care for the HUGE head.
3 is the most aggressive but it also allows the most chatter on the blade which drove me nuts. I just kept it at 2.
I dunno. I use it on the 2 dot and they feel very similar. There ya go Dave. Now we just need someone to say the 1 dot plate and you're all set.
giphy.gif

Alright they arrived today. What's the difference? And I thought only 2 razors

IMG_20200601_120557052.jpg

The difference will be more apparent once the razors are out of the box :rolleyes:

Back